Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 62010 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #285 on: April 2, 2007, 04:07 PM »
Has anyone picked these up and done a comparison between the WOS and the McFarlane stuff?  I've seen them in stores but haven't bought the sets with Homer yet, though I'm still planning on it.  There are few enough of these around and I don't expect an overly long/productive run for McFarlane on this line that I don't think it's going to become a space/$$ issue.  Just curious to hear others impressions on these. 

I can say that there are relatively few showing up in stores as the ordering folks seem very, very cautious with McFarlane product these days. 

As an aside, I bought a couple of chocolate bars at the office I work in today.  The usual parents selling stuff for their kids fundraisers (which could rate a pet peeve if it weren't done in such an innocuous, low pressure way around here and were I not guilty as well) stuff.  I was joking to one of the admins and an upper management type that maybe I should try for the 300 pound disability target.  The admin just sort of chuckled but the upper management type gave me a very stern look and suggested, quite seriously, that I should contemplate the potential health impacts such a plan might have ::)  At what level do they lobotomize people because I don't want to get there.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 4, 2007, 09:59 PM »
To answer my own question, they are smaller than the WOS figures and sufficiently out of scale as to not be a great match.  But they are well enough done that I don't feel bad about picking up the three sets with Homer in them.  They are static as McFarlane stuff tends to be but are well painted and look quite nice, so they'll fit nicely off to the side of the WOS display.  Oh, and Marge looks hot in her white bathing suit :-X

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Scott....you buying??

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 12, 2007, 02:42 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I grabbed the Couch Gag set as well, figuring that if I couldn't get anything else - I'd at least have the main family to display.  The other stuff looks kind of neat too, although I really don't need to find money/space for more stuff at this point ;).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2007, 03:34 PM »
I still haven't found the Couch Gag set on clearance, so I haven't bought it yet.  I'm not into the family as a whole, so I don't feel pressed to get it.  I'm aiming for a $10 CAD price at some point down the road, same as I think I paid for Ironic Punishment.  Did pay full price for the most recent figures, simply because there are so few on the pegs and the Simple Simpson seems to be overpacked in the mix.  I figured if I waited I could get that on clearance, but by the time it does I'll have spent so much on gas it'd be pointless. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2007, 05:54 PM »
I looked at TRU last weekend.  Decided that $13 is way too rich for not to scale figures :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2007, 07:33 PM »
Not to scale relative to what? :P  I know, WOS.  For me it wasn't so much an issue.  I'll tuck them off to the side, separated by the Ironic Punishment set, which strikes me as more to scale, though I haven't seen it in months, so that might be wishful thinking. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 19, 2007, 11:24 AM »
Pearson?  Hello?  Pearson? 

Buying into any of the movie figures?  How about the BK toys, which fire up in about a week or so? 

I think I'll continue getting the Homer figures as they come along, I think there are two movie figures from McFarlane that have Homer in them.  Sound too, sort of harkening back to the WOS stuff, scale notwithstanding of course. 

As for the BK toys, I'm not sure if I'll bother with an entire set or not.  There are some regular sets available on ebay for $25 and shipping so not too terribly far off what I'd pay up here by chasing them all down and having to eat that food, so maybe a good deal?   I see there are gold chase versions as well ::)  I expect I'll try and track down the gold Homer and maybe the gold Burns as well, but we'll see. 

As an aside, TRU up here has severely cut back on carrying just about everything McFarlane, even the hockey figures.  I think the McFarlane days might be dwindling in general. 

Still no couch gag set for me.  No clearance = no buy (and yes, I know I'm helping kill the line with that attitude).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 19, 2007, 12:40 PM »
I guess I didn't realize there were going to be BK Simpsons toys.  I took a look on ebay, and it looks like there are 16 in total?  Is there any clear pictures of them, aside from the auction pics?  Might be kind of neat to pick up, but like you said Brent, I'd probably just opt for ebay as well instead of eating there upteen times.

BK really has gone nuts with the movie toys since the ROTS success haven't they?  Hasn't there been Spidey, Fan 4, Transformers, and now Simpsons this summer alone?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 19, 2007, 01:07 PM »
There were spidey toys at BK?  I'm still scarred by the ROTS fiasco and I didn't even eat there that much. 

I didn't know there were toys coming until I picked up one of the McFarlane movie toys (Homer in movie theater) and tucked in the bottom was an insert for the toys at BK.  I don't think any really good pics exist as most are scans of that same insert I think.  I know some ebay sellers say they have them in hand, but better pics haven't circulated much it would seem.  I was poking around at SCS.com last night and they had a scan up but it wasn't much of an improvement. 

I think up here though they sell the toys for around $1.87-2.00 each, so those ebay deals are a bargain for me.  I'll wait for better pics before deciding on the full set though.  Hopefully some of the gold Homer figures show up at decent prices. 

You are right though Brian, BK has really been into the movie based toys in a big way, everything except Disney which seems to have become McD fare for a long time.  BK had a pretty neat set of LOTR toys as well and I think that complete set might even still fetch a pretty price on ebay. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 19, 2007, 01:49 PM »
There were spidey toys at BK?  I'm still scarred by the ROTS fiasco and I didn't even eat there that much. 

Yeah, I just saw them online HERE.  It looks like it was a few Spideys, and then the baddies from SM3.  I was burnt out from running to BK each week from ROTS, that I passed on them as well - thinking that if I really wanted them I could pick them up on ebay.  I was fortunate during the Star Wars run of these toys that I found a BK that would just sell me the toys, without any food.  I ended up eating one meal at Burger King during that entire run - and that was the very first week of the toys.  That was fortunate.  Even so, I started feeling a little silly going into that BK each week saying "I just want to buy this week's Star Wars toys".

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 19, 2007, 02:31 PM »
Around here, the stores don't require you to buy anything so I just get the toys. I've done this for a few of their promotions and at multiple places too. I can't wait til the Simpsons stuff hits, i'm tired of going to 7-11 everyday for sandwiches and Squishees in their promotion.  :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #297 on: July 19, 2007, 10:33 PM »
Different scale = Pass

Still have my old stuff, the thought of organizing, photographing and shipping over 200+ items makes me queazy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2007, 09:56 AM »
I figured you hadn't changed your stance on these.  They're not badly sculpted at all and I've been fortunate in finding well painted pieces, so I think they're pretty nice.  The scale issue is still there, no doubt, but it's getting to the point where there's enough material that it's not that different from having Unleashed and regular SW figures on display, though the difference in scale is smaller.  Of course you don't vary out in scale regardless, correct? 

As for selling your stuff, I stick by my old opinion that you shouldn't do it.  WOS has been one of the lines I really associate with you and has been since I've known you.  If you did, wouldn't it be just as easy to sell the common stuff over at SCS.com where you're pretty well known I'd think and then ebay the stuff that'll actually generate some return, like the B-sharps and other exclusives?  That'd reduce the amount of listing and photo taking. 

It's interesting too that you're willing to part with that stuff.  I haven't seen my Simpsons stuff for probably two years.  It's in a box that's taped shut and at the bottom of my huge stack of boxes.  I've gone through the SW stuff a ton of times and moved all those boxes, pulling out stuff to get rid of, but the Simpsons stuff just never enters into the equation of being thinned out.  Obviously I have a fair bit less stuff than you, since it's only really stuff with Homer associations like all the figures and then some playsets but that's still a significant amount of stuff, probably 40-50 figures total.  I really look forward to having that stuff displayed. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 3, 2007, 11:47 AM »
I picked up the Island of Dr. Hibbert box set from McFarlane yesterday :o

It was a great deal, my comic shop was charging less for this than the Itchy and Scratchy box set that's recent.  It's huge and looks amazing in the box though I'll likely open it and split it up to sell off parts since I'm only really interested in Homer walrus and Bart spider. 

I know these aren't to scale with the WOS stuff but this piece is really, really nicely done.  For $30 I couldn't pass on it.