Author Topic: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 143623 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #585 on: July 5, 2006, 01:23 PM »
Only 4 Super/Very Rares left needed ;) for complete set.

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 6, 2006, 12:47 PM »
Only 4 Super/Very Rares left needed ;) for complete set.

Tell me you need Bastila, Luke, Jacen, and Darth Malak and have extras of Darths Bane, Nihilus, Vader and Exar Kun and you've made my freaking solar year!

;D

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 6, 2006, 01:05 PM »
Damn, wish I could because the 4 you named is what I need. Unfortunately, I have the extras for the 'yoda, HK assortment'. >:(

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 7, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Damn, wish I could because the 4 you named is what I need. Unfortunately, I have the extras for the 'yoda, HK assortment'. >:(

Even though it's not the 4 I need, I'd be happy to trade you for them if you like.
LMK,

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #589 on: July 13, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Damn, I'm totally lagging on catching back up with these.  Haven't even bothered with the COTF set yet, and am still missing a Lobot and Leia RH from the Universe set, since UPS lost a GIGANTIC package of inbound minis to me earlier this year.  Not to mention I'm completely screwed with all the promos I've missed this year.  Crap!

So it looks like the COTF set isn't hitting retail stores (like Target) like the previous sets did?  Or are they just selling out real quick everywhere?  I guess I'm not so worried about jumping on COTF so quickly since it's so EU heavy, which isn't really my thing.  I'll get 'em eventually, but probably not for a little while still...

GameOutfitter still have the best price on cases for these things?

Offline delta leader boss

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 13, 2006, 09:22 PM »
 ??? ok i'm major confused here jedimac told me to feel free about posting my list on here and yet, i don't see a single posted list on here for anyone else. so, what gives am i in the wrong place or something ? someone please fill me in here ty.

Offline Squid89

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 14, 2006, 07:16 AM »
So it looks like the COTF set isn't hitting retail stores (like Target) like the previous sets did?  Or are they just selling out real quick everywhere?  I guess I'm not so worried about jumping on COTF so quickly since it's so EU heavy, which isn't really my thing.  I'll get 'em eventually, but probably not for a little while still...

Walmart.com is listing them instock ($10) and Target ($13) shows release date of 7/25.  I had heard the big boxes will be a month or more behind for all the rest of the sets, too.  Only the gaming stores got them for the regular release.  Can't get unopened cases from the big guys either.

GameOutfitter still have the best price on cases for these things?

IconUSA - $90, GameOutfitter - $95, CoolStuffInc - $95,  CCGArmory - $97, GatheringGround - $110  (these are the main ones I know of online - sorry if I missed someone's favorite)

These prices, as of today, are for single cases and don't include shipping.

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 14, 2006, 10:49 AM »
Any of the SoCal guys can pick sealed cases up at Frank's. They sell the cases there from $90-100. That's probably the cheapest you'll find them given there's no tax there and you won't have to pay shipping.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 14, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Even though I hate that scalper Haven, Thanks Ray. You can also get them at HobbieLobby and several personal Gaming type stores.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 14, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Mac-- I know when they first came out that Hobbylobby in your city got in like 30 boosters or so. I thought you already ordered a couple cases? :-\

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
Outsiders perspective? WOTC Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #595 on: August 17, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Hey, it's no secret that this line isn't the most popular Star Wars collectable out there.  I am curious as to what other collectors who aren't into them think of them.  Opinions?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #596 on: August 18, 2006, 03:30 AM »
??? ok i'm major confused here jedimac told me to feel free about posting my list on here and yet, i don't see a single posted list on here for anyone else. so, what gives am i in the wrong place or something ? someone please fill me in here ty.

You didn't miss anything, at least not in the past several pages.  But we were all posting our trade lists earlier on in this thread, so feel free to do the same in here as it might generate a little more interest (and views) than just in the classifieds section.

Unfortunately, this thread's tailed off a bit of late, as interest in this line from the JD'ers has waned a little this year.  I still haven't gotten into the COTF line yet myself, but when I finally do in the next month or so, I'm sure I'll be adding in my trade list as well.

The COTF line really looked nice at SDCC last month (only time I've seen it all in person), and the Bounty Hunters set is shaping up even better, so I'm sure folks' interest in these will bounce back up again soon when that next set hits, since it's got a lot more OT (and Prequel) offerings than COTF did.  Really looking forward to it.  Nice lookin' Skiff and Snowspeeder in there, for sure!

Still haven't seen the COTF boosters yet at retail though...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 03:31 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Outsiders perspective? WOTC Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #597 on: August 18, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Hey, it's no secret that this line isn't the most popular Star Wars collectable out thereI am curious as to what other collectors who aren't into them think of them.  Opinions?

I don't really understand that statement since the way I read it, it sounds like your asking the Q to folks then answering for them with a statement in the beginning.
Assumed authority?

Even though you asked 'only to collectors who aren't into them'- I am into them and I just want to answer here to provide insight.

These WOTC miniature pieces are 'gaming market' first and ' collectible market' second. What this means is that I can definately tell you that this is very popular in the gaming community. My brother and myself have visited several sites where these pieces are traded, swapped, sold and the games themselves played online. Not to mention all the 'gaming nights' at local comic books/gaming stores. These aren't nearly as popular with the SW collectible community. Here at JD it is primarily a SW collectible community and..as you can see and not surprisingly, there certainly isn't a large representative number of folks posting about SW Miniatures in here.

Myself I like these for 2 reasons ..I think they're cool looking(I'd argue better and certainly more variety than the 'unleashed battle packs') and I also love to play the game(my brother and nephew finally beat me last month and now I'm 22-1 against them). The game itself is not complicated if you don't care about winning/losing. If you like to win though, there is tons of stategy possibilities with these sets. What I like is how WOTC effectively utilizes the SW story to introduce stategy elements to the gameplay-- they do their research from the Saga AND from comic books and novels for EU pieces. This creates alot of fun and replayability win or lose.

I believe that Amount of different sets that are out and the fact that even more are announced help me to understand how popular these are. I rarely see the boosters 'sitting' in stores--when I do, they are not there the next week. For instance, I know a couple Hobby stores in my area that typically get 30 boosters right at the initialization of a new line and sell 20 in the first couple days then are sold out in less than a week. While a typical 'booster' pack will be 15-20$, Ebay rates for VR's can be 20-50$..for just a single piece!

They are very popular though and being as this is a SW collectible site these sets simply aren't gone gen-up alot of feedback here. I think with all the Sw collectible product on the market these days it certainly has alot of folks 'scaling back' --I definately can see an effect here on this thread. Gone are the typical non-movie year days ::).

I still don't understand how you can ask that Q though.... Think about it...you're asking folks who aren't into them to tell you what they think of them. ?! :-\

Are you trying to gen-up a 'con' response? With a Q like that..my guess is you'll get only negative responses. Did you want this?

The DS

Chamions of the Force  56
Universe                        60
ROTS                              60
Rebel storm                    60
Clone Strike                   60
ATAT                                2
ATST pack                        1

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
Re: Outsiders perspective? WOTC Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #598 on: August 18, 2006, 10:07 PM »
Hey, it's no secret that this line isn't the most popular Star Wars collectable out thereI am curious as to what other collectors who aren't into them think of them.  Opinions?

I don't really understand that statement since the way I read it, it sounds like your asking the Q to folks then answering for them with a statement in the beginning.
Assumed authority?

Even though you asked 'only to collectors who aren't into them'- I am into them and I just want to answer here to provide insight.

These WOTC miniature pieces are 'gaming market' first and ' collectible market' second. What this means is that I can definately tell you that this is very popular in the gaming community. My brother and myself have visited several sites where these pieces are traded, swapped, sold and the games themselves played online. Not to mention all the 'gaming nights' at local comic books/gaming stores. These aren't nearly as popular with the SW collectible community. Here at JD it is primarily a SW collectible community and..as you can see and not surprisingly, there certainly isn't a large representative number of folks posting about SW Miniatures in here.

Myself I like these for 2 reasons ..I think they're cool looking(I'd argue better and certainly more variety than the 'unleashed battle packs') and I also love to play the game(my brother and nephew finally beat me last month and now I'm 22-1 against them). The game itself is not complicated if you don't care about winning/losing. If you like to win though, there is tons of stategy possibilities with these sets. What I like is how WOTC effectively utilizes the SW story to introduce stategy elements to the gameplay-- they do their research from the Saga AND from comic books and novels for EU pieces. This creates alot of fun and replayability win or lose.

I believe that Amount of different sets that are out and the fact that even more are announced help me to understand how popular these are. I rarely see the boosters 'sitting' in stores--when I do, they are not there the next week. For instance, I know a couple Hobby stores in my area that typically get 30 boosters right at the initialization of a new line and sell 20 in the first couple days then are sold out in less than a week. While a typical 'booster' pack will be 15-20$, Ebay rates for VR's can be 20-50$..for just a single piece!

They are very popular though and being as this is a SW collectible site these sets simply aren't gone gen-up alot of feedback here. I think with all the Sw collectible product on the market these days it certainly has alot of folks 'scaling back' --I definately can see an effect here on this thread. Gone are the typical non-movie year days ::).

I still don't understand how you can ask that Q though.... Think about it...you're asking folks who aren't into them to tell you what they think of them. ?! :-\

Are you trying to gen-up a 'con' response? With a Q like that..my guess is you'll get only negative responses. Did you want this?

The DS

Chamions of the Force  56
Universe                        60
ROTS                              60
Rebel storm                    60
Clone Strike                   60
ATAT                                2
ATST pack                        1

Thanks for the input Darth Slothus.  Sorry to confuse you with my question.  Clearly you are into them, and that's great. 
I'm after the perspective as someone that doesn't collect/play them.

I've been collecting Star Wars forever and have always tried to keep myself in check (limiting myself to a thousand dollars or so rough budget a year ::)), especially with everything available in the modern lines.  With SWM, however, I find myself preordering cases, buying singles, anytime anything is released.  To the point where I find it being my primary collection focus.  I always thought buying a case of 3 3/4 Figures would be the way to go but I never brought myself to actually do it, but with the minis it is just a non issue it just happens.

I'm soliciting opinons here, because it is not focused on minis, but Star Wars collectables in general, even though someone who isn't into them probably won't read this thread, and it really isn't enough of a topic to warrant a thread on it's own.

I don't collect Master Replicas/Side Show/ Code 3/ Gentle Giant/ Attackix but I have opinions about them.  I'm just curious as to what Star Wars Minis looks like to people in the Star Wars community who are not part of the Gaming community.

So any lurkers in this thread want to chime in?

Do you think they are stupid?  Do you think they are lame?  Like the minis hate the fans?  Do you think they are cool but just can't bring yourself to get hooked on another line?  Do you pick up the occasional mini, except for those expensive Rare/Very Rare ones?  Do you think you might like them more if they were better painted/ sculpted?  Do you find yourself not seeing what all the fuss about a board game is for?   Do you think that there are just better things to spend your collecting dollars on?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #599 on: August 21, 2006, 02:31 AM »
I'd just like to point out that we called a LOT of the minis being debuted here lately, and we called them quite a few months ago. ;)  Good to know my sources came through ont hat...  Most recent was the Basilisk War Droid and Snowspeeder...

I really wish this line wasn't as much a collectible focused line but rather just a more easily obtainable line.  I'd love to not only collect and play the game (I'd play old style minis battles though, not the new rules which I find lacking), but to really do something special with building battlefields and everything for the minis like small dioramas. :(  When a mini you want sells for $25 though I just have a hard time justifying it.  I keep up with the line just reading up on it but I just can't collect it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77