Author Topic: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 143608 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2004, 01:14 PM »
I was just reading the report on the site. These things are like collecting gaming cards so to speak.

Star Wars Miniatures Revealed

Exclusive rare, uncommons, commons, rare or very rare.

Not me, good luck!  :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2004, 02:44 PM »
I've been thinking about collecting these Matt, I guess it depends how hard it is to buy them (where they are available).  If they are going to be next to impossible, I might have to hold off.  Its been hard enough finding regular Saga figures lately :P.  I'll wait and see once they get closer to release, but the Original Trilogy set is appealing to me at least.  I have no desire to actually use them for the "game", probably just for a nice little "mini" collection :)  They do look pretty nice.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 02:45 PM by mosnab »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2004, 11:09 PM »
I'm out...no thanks, no room and chase figures = scary!

Good Luck Matt and everyone else straddling the fence :-*

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2004, 11:32 PM »
I'm waiting to see what my SW Minis Battles say about scale...  If they match up well enough to the WEG miniatures, then I'd pick them up...  If they're out of whack, I'm passing unless I see some I like.  

So far, they look nicely sculpted and all but this is an instance where the vintage are more special to me, and these are just good filler for minis battles if they fit in the right scale and all.

I'm hearing one version of every character, so every soldier is in that one pose.  I love the Scout, but the stormie and Fleet Trooper are "eh".  

I'll take my dozen Fleet Troopers from WEG over that one any day.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Exclusive rare, uncommons, commons, rare or very rare.

Good Lord.   >:(  I may end up passing on these after all...  No room for that kinda headache, when I've already got the Kubrick chases to keep up with, among other things.

I sure do love the looks of these though...  Guess I'll just wait and see how things pan out when they finally hit retail.   :-\

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2004, 08:35 PM »
These are much like the D&D minis that are out there.
I know from a friend who collects the D&D minis like crazy who says if you purchase a case you are about 95% to acquire a complete set, maybe minus one or two rares. That is if you want to shell out that much money at once. I think it is 20 booster packs per case? You also have to purchase the starter set that includes only figures unique to that set.

I am not sure if this is true with the Star Wars minis or not.

Depending on what my friend gets when he orders a case will help me decided if I want to get into this. Neat as they are, it is alot of money.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2004, 08:47 PM »
I collected MageKnight from Wizkids for a while, and they were an absolute enormous pain in the ass to collect. I was at the point of buying 2-3 cases (12 booster boxes) per series, and still not finishing a set. Plus, if anyone hates exclusives, then avoid these like the plague.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2004, 11:55 PM »

Here is what you need to look for Matt when you are pulling your hair out!!!

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2004, 01:34 AM »
I wish I wasn't going senile, otherwise I'd link to the other thread this was talked about to give credit where credit is due.

These are on pre-order at iconusa. The booster packs are expected to retail for $10 and are on pre-order for a lot less than what amazon lists them.

The site states there are 60 miniatures --super-rare, rare, uncommon, and common. The super-rare aren't included in the starter set, which comes with 16 random figures, a die, book, and blah, blah, blah.

According to someone in the other thread, if the pattern for these rpg continue, the super-rares will be just variations of the main characters. I don't know if he means a different pose or a different costume.

When I first saw the pictures, I was impressed with the human faces and proportions. They're a lot more cleaner and detailed than the Heroclix. According to someone in that other thread, former Galoob sculptors worked on these.

edit: Crap. I just noticed the date on that gaming site someone posted above. Too recent to dismiss. Until iconusa confirms or makes corrections, take the info I gleaned off their site with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 01:49 AM by Jedi Idej »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2004, 03:29 AM »
I'm holding off till I see their scale in comparison to the original West End Games miniatures before I commit to picking these up.  IF they're compatible in size, I'll ponder getting them just to flush out more characters on the gaming table.  

Beyond this though, the game just isn't that impressive...  Star Wars minis battles was a really great game, as is the Lord of the Rings Tabletop Miniatures Battles game out there.  This isn't shaping up to mimic that too much...  That's a shame, given what the potential was.  This game seems a fair bit more simplistic though, so perhaps a larger crowd will gather to it.  

We'll see how these pan out though...  SW minis have been something sorely missing in the RPG world.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2004, 10:16 AM »
Jedi Idej, this actually might be the thread where we were talking about minis...we merged a bunch of old threads together ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2004, 01:21 PM »
Is it just me, or is that Leia pictured at the top a better sculpt than the original POTF2 sculpt? :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2004, 12:32 AM »
Jedi Idej, this actually might be the thread where we were talking about minis...we merged a bunch of old threads together ;)

Whew! I thought you got me again. I was convinced I really did suffer a brain fart until I ran across this thread.

Anyway, I emailed iconusa about the discrepancy. Hopefully they write back with an answer.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 12:33 AM by Jedi Idej »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2004, 11:46 PM »
Cool...

I picked up the Stormtrooper miniature at Comic Con (obviously) to get my collection off to a start.  Checked out the rest of the line, and they definitely looked pretty cool.  We've got some pix in our Comic Con coverage, if you're interested...

But Adam's informed me that I'm already a couple behind, as there's also been a Mon Cal figure (exclusive to Origins) and a Tusken Raider that was released as a promo sample to Comic shops as well...  Oy!  Something tells me this line will be giving me a big headache...   :P

Should be fun though.  So, who else is in?!?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 11:54 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures, RPG, Clix
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2004, 11:57 PM »
Official site news on WOTC minis...

Gen Con attendees can also pick up a free promo miniature of a Wookiee Soldier in the Wizards booth.

Oh Adam...  You goin', buddy?!   :-*