Author Topic: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 143609 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: WOTC SW Miniatures (RPG/CMG/Clix)
« Reply #75 on: September 6, 2004, 04:24 PM »
Cool.  Thanks guys.  I think I'm ready to Rock N Roll now...

Just ordered one case of Boosters, and one Starter set (from the first link below), which came out to a total of $115.40.  We'll see how I do with that.  So here's some of the better deals, and a couple of the more helpful sites that I've come across so far for these:

Best deal on Starter set and Booster case

Cheap sets, and individual figures or groups of figures

What kinda stinks though, is that with 12 Booster sets and a Starter I'll hopefully be getting 12 different rares and very rares, plus the Luke and Vader, which would mean I'm still 14 figures short (at best) altogether in those two areas combined.  I'm almost thinking it's a better idea to just order 2 Booster cases right now, but I don't really want to be laying down that kinda cash on these things just yet...   :-\
« Last Edit: September 6, 2004, 04:32 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: September 6, 2004, 04:29 PM »
One other thing, and perhaps you guys are already aware of this, but supposedly if you're buying individual boosters from a store (in person), you can feel the weight differences in the boxes, and likely be able to determine which of them has one of the larger (Wampa, Jabba, etc.) Very Rare figures...   ;)

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 6, 2004, 04:35 PM »
Yep, I've already read about that too. Doesn't concern me too much for when I pick some up at a store, as I want them all anyway. Makes you wonder if cherry pickers will go after all the heavy ones, or leave all the heavy ones behind trying to get a Fett instead.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 6, 2004, 04:43 PM »
I was actually wondering about that. I'll just make sure I buy sealed cases then.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline SilverSpyder

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 6, 2004, 05:00 PM »
There is not a rare or very rare in each booster box.  The first 2 I bought had only commons and uncommons.  After that I went to another store and bought 2 boxes that seemed heavier and got a Wampa and Scout on Speederbike.  So, finding the larger figures would be easy by judging the weight.  The smaller very rares like Fett wont be found that easily and you will just have to be lucky. 

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 6, 2004, 05:22 PM »
There is not a rare or very rare in each booster box.  The first 2 I bought had only commons and uncommons.

Sounds like you might have had some real bad luck with yours. Because everything I've been reading about them, which includes a lot of people posting what their booster breakdown was, shows that they've been getting either 1 rare or very rare in every booster box. 

I'm sure some mistakes will be made at the packing plant, making it possible that some slipped thru with an extra common or uncommon instead of the R or VR fig, but I'm thinking the norm is one R or VR fig per box.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #81 on: September 6, 2004, 05:24 PM »
There is not a rare or very rare in each booster box.  The first 2 I bought had only commons and uncommons.

Really?!  If that's the case, I'm gonna be way pissed off.  That's pretty much the only reason I ordered a full case.  I've read in a couple places that each Booster set was supposed to have one Rare or Very Rare figure in it...

This better not turn into an even worse collecting headache than I'm already anticipating...  Add to that the GG Bust-ups that are coming, with the Kubricks I'm already into.  Oy.   :'(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #82 on: September 6, 2004, 05:28 PM »
Ah, I see Jim already beat me to that...

Anyway, I'm curious who here is actually intending on playing the game that goes with these figures as well, or if we're all just going to be collecting the figures themselves...

I'm just in for the figures, personally.  I'll go for the cards too, but not to use in playing the game, but just to have a set of sketch cards.

I don't mind the game at all, just don't have the time and energy to devote to getting into something like that.  Never really been much of a gamer myself...

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 6, 2004, 05:48 PM »
Really?!  If that's the case, I'm gonna be way pissed off.  That's pretty much the only reason I ordered a full case.  I've read in a couple places that each Booster set was supposed to have one Rare or Very Rare figure in it...

I think you should be safe. I've seen many case breakdowns posted and everyone of them produced 4 VR and 8 R figs, with no dups among the hard to find ones in a given case. Seems distribution of the figs is pretty good overall.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 6, 2004, 06:55 PM »
Anyway, I'm curious who here is actually intending on playing the game that goes with these figures as well, or if we're all just going to be collecting the figures themselves...

there's a game?  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: September 6, 2004, 09:10 PM »
Thankfully, if I get into these as a replacement for the WEG minis to play Tabletop miniatures Battles, the troops aren't overly rare... 

Kinda sucks really though.  I guess it's all just a tool for sales, but in the end I'm not overly fond of this game's rules, but the minis will make a nice way to supplement the ORIGINAL Star Wars Miniatures Battles game at least.  Some of the "rares" though would make nice minis for officers and whatnot.  Sorely needed.

I'll be anxious to see what else they make for the line as far as Classic figures goes...  If they try catering to the old Minis Battles crowd with excessive #'s of troops like it seems they may be aiming for, and they diversify the troops down the road, or if they'll just focus towards the new game's set of rules.   :-\  I hope not the latter for multiple reasons. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 6, 2004, 09:37 PM »
i was wondering if anybody is gonna be "army building" with these... it looks like that's kinda what they were made for. i wouldn't mind getting my hands on several (hundred) stormtroopers. i can never get enough troops.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: September 7, 2004, 11:21 PM »
Well, with the plethora of army builders we'll all be winding up with from the booster packs, I guess it's inevitable.  I don't mind a handful of 6-8 of each army builder I guess, but if I can trade those commons for something of the more rare/very rare variety, I definitely wouldn't hesitate.  Having a complete set is definitely more of a priority than having big armies to me.  At least for now...

Got my fourth and final promo piece today - the Tusken Raider.  Thanks A.!  Real nice looking figure.  Looks like all four of the promos are identical to the regular releases that are now available, with the exception of the text written on the underneath side of their respective bases - "Gen Con Promo...", etc.

So that's 4 down, and 56 to go.  Anxiously awaiting my case soon so I can really dive into the fun here.  I got a confirmation e-mail that it shipped today!  Hopefully it's here by the end of this week (coming from MN).  I'm hoping to wander down to a couple local "collectibles" and gaming stores just down the street from my office tomorrow (despite the 105 degree heat).  I'd like to see if I can really feel this "weight" difference for the Very Rares.

So has anyone figured out other outlets to get these things from?
« Last Edit: September 8, 2004, 02:05 AM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #88 on: September 8, 2004, 03:50 AM »
LMK what luck you have finding things locally, Matt. I'm not ready to commit to ordering cases on these and could use some advice. I talked with my buddy who suggested a couple places, one up by you being Hobby People.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #89 on: September 8, 2004, 01:42 PM »
I'm reading things about there being two "waves" of Rebel Storm, with the second due out later this month...  Anyone else heard anything like this?  Does that mean that half the rares/very rares might not even be shipping in the initial sets, or is everything all mixed together, but they're just releasing the sets at two separate times, only.

Weird.  Some of the fellas over in the WOTC forums are starting to create somewhat of a panic with this news.  Sounds like stuff is selling out really fast, all over the place, so people can't get their mitts on these figures, and are now having to wait for this supposed "wave 2"...

Anyone get their sets here yet?  When you do, let us know what kinda breakdowns your finding!  Hopefully tomorrow or Friday for mine...   :)

Here's a couple more gaming e-tailers that people in the WOTC boards are suggesting, though with a quick glance, they're both sold out and are only taking pre-orders for September 30 (wave 2?), and are more expensive than the links I put up the other day.

Gatheringground.com

Cardhaus.com
« Last Edit: September 8, 2004, 01:46 PM by JediMAC »