Author Topic: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 143863 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: WOTC SW Miniatures (RPG/CMG/Clix)
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2004, 07:45 PM »
Nope, no US subscriptions, just like the Fact Files. Your best bet is to make a new best friend in the UK and have him/her hook ya up! They sometimes will ship to the US, but it's been my experience that it is a horrendous pain. I originally subscribed to the Fact Files (same company) directly from DeAgostini and it was an absolute nightmare, I'd definitely recommend against it, as they are not fully able/prepared to ship to the US.

The figures are the same, as far as I can see, but I wouldn't discount the possibility of an exclusive or two, or ten...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2004, 08:20 PM »
So Adam, when you did the Fact Files, did you sign up on your credit card, and have them ship them to someone in the UK for you, who in turn likely shipped them off to you every 2-4 weeks (or something like that), and you just paid them for the shipping charges?

Or did your UK contact actually have to do the subscription themself, and you reimbursed them for everything (which would seem like a greater pain in the butt for the UK person)...?

I'm still hoping that WOTC doesn't jack the U.S. on this stuff.  They'll definitely piss off and alienate a lot of their fans, collectors, and gamers by doing this, I would imagine.  Man, I just don't know.

I don't suppose anyone knows if you can subscribe to the OT stuff only...  I don't want any of that Prequel garbage, and definitely won't give them my revolving subscription money if they're going to include that stuff too, when Clone Strike comes out in a couple months...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 08:21 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2004, 11:10 PM »
Just did a news post on this actually, and didn't see you guys actually talking about it here, so, well, huzzah!

This game, I can basically tell, is a watered down version of the original Star Wars Minis Battles from WEG.  A more terrain-based game where the setting becomes as important as the characters and such.

I want a subscription, but like the Fact Files I'm hesitant to.  Gonna read through what you've gotta say on it Adam because, basically, you know more on this than any of us already. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2004, 01:25 AM »
Nope, no US subscriptions, just like the Fact Files. Your best bet is to make a new best friend in the UK and have him/her hook ya up!

So who wants to sign up as the JD sponser? I think we need 1, 2, 3, 4.... well, we need a few sets. Who's gonna hook us all up?? C'mon, don't be shy.... time's a wastin!!  ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2004, 03:03 AM »
Dave, you dropped the WOTC folks a line about it though, right?  Hopefully you can find something out and let us know...

On the bright side, I surprisingly just managed to polish off my figure collection today, after all the hullabaloo over the Probe Droid.  Found a taker earlier this morning for my (mistakenly sent) Dewback for a Jedi Luke, and finalized a Jabba for Probe Droid deal later tonight.  So once they arrive in a few days, I'll be DONE!  Finally.   8)  That puts me all out of extra VRs, and after Bruce's loot arrives tomorrow, I should have one last duplicate rare to swap for... whatever - Tarkin.

Then I get to go about trading Jared's crap like a mad man to try to complete his set too!   :P

Then I have to figure out how the hell to deal with this exclusive UK crap!   >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2004, 04:38 AM »
Finding a friend in the UK's your only choice unless I get some word on this from De Agostini direclty.

I'm trying...

They have a phone # too Matt.  I know I can't afford to call overseas, but perhaps you can and have the patience to.

This expansion, I believe, is something that makes the game more like WEG's old game, the more I read up on it.  Terrain's important, etc...  Still watered down in comparison though, and doesn't go into as intricate detail.

The terrain looks really neat.  Pre-made and they just send it to you.  God I wish we had this in the states and it was just simple to get.  I felt the same way on the Fact Files, and I STILL don't have a full Fact Files set because I can't afford the huge shipping from overseas.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2004, 06:32 AM »
When I first subscribed to the Fact Files, they billed and shipped to me. Unfortunately, they stopped shipping to me, but continued billing me. I ended up getting billed by them for about $150. But, I was able to get it turned around on my card.

I've got a friend who buys them and ships them, and I reimburse him. For the Fact Files, I was trading him figures he needed; since these will most likely be more expensive, I'll probably just pay him outright.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline James D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2004, 10:28 AM »
BDW,
You have a PM (unless it didn't go through...).

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2004, 11:08 AM »
Okay, here's the response I got from the folks at De Agostini:

Thank you for your recent email.
We are unable to accept subscriptions or despatch our magazine to th USA.
We are only able to accept subsriptions from the UK or Ireland.
This is due to the licensing laws for this particular Star Wars product.
I can confirm that the miniatures are from WOTC range.
There are 121 figures in total with a minimum of 28 rated as rare.
There is a website address that may be of use for you,it is as follows:
www.starwars.com

So I'm guesing that they will be sending doubles of certain common/uncommon ones, since they are saying that there are 121 total figures. And the "minimum of 28 Rare" line is odd, because there are 28 Rare/Very Rare figures total. So I guess if you manage to sign up for this magazine, you will be getting a complete set from them, including all the Rare and Very Rare figures.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2004, 02:00 PM »
What are you guys finding on prices for the rares/VR's (outside of the outrageous ebay prices)???

Curious, a comic store in PA sold me a Bossk, Dengar, and Veers, for $2ea. which I thought was great!  (I actually threw a few $$ in extra)

Here's my recap so far:
Just curious.  I bought 9 boosters, in which I have NO doubles of R/VR.
Probe Droid
Dewback
Slave Leia
Emperor
Obi-Wan
R2
Bossk  (bought an extra Bossk to use as a prize at one of my meetings)
Greedo
Lando

I'd like to just try to find the other r/vr and buy outright, to me spending the $13 ea. pack now is pointless since I have ALL the common/uncommon in the 9 boosters I bought.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2004, 02:05 PM »
So I'm guesing that they will be sending doubles of certain common/uncommon ones, since they are saying that there are 121 total figures. And the "minimum of 28 Rare" line is odd, because there are 28 Rare/Very Rare figures total. So I guess if you manage to sign up for this magazine, you will be getting a complete set from them, including all the Rare and Very Rare figures.

Is it possible that 121 covers the first 60 and some of the Clone Strike figures too?  Or do we know for sure it's 121 Rebel Storm figures?   :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2004, 11:46 PM »
Nope, sorry. No extra rares or very rares. Tons of extra commons and uncommons if you're interested in any of those.

Alas, same predicament as you -- more commons and uncommons than I need.

Offline James D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2004, 09:34 AM »
Since I doubt people are going to look back five pages for my trading list, I'm going to re-post it here  ;)

UPDATED 9/24

Needs:
R  General Veers
VR Boba Fett
VR Darth Vader
VR Luke Skywalker
VR Emperor

For Trade:
VR Leia, Captive
VR Commando on Bike
R Tarkin
R Leia
R R2-D2
R Lando
R IG-88x2
R Dengar
R 4-Lom

Send me a PM if you want to trade.
Thanks,
James

SilverZ

« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2004, 07:54 PM »
Then I get to go about trading Jared's crap like a mad man to try to complete his set too!   :P

You're either completly obsessive-compulsive or too nice. I need to chat with you about a plan of attack for me soon, since my little "hookup" just fell flat on its face.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Picked up three packs, didn't do too bad. Got two VR figs, Vader and Obi Wan, and a rare Tarkin, which I already had. Anyone need Tarkin?

Still need the following:

Need:
2 C3PO
4 Commando on Speeder Bike
7 Han Solo
12 Leia Captive
13 Leia Senator
14 R2D2
16 Rebel Officer
25 Emperor Palpatine
26 General Veers
29 Imperial Officer