Author Topic: Strike Foils....  (Read 2551 times)

Offline JediTray

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
    • JediTray's Website
Strike Foils....
« on: April 17, 2006, 02:20 AM »
It's obvious what locking the the Strike Foils on B-Wing and X-Wing Fighters in attack position is for, but what purpose do they serve on the ARC-170?  There are no cannons or solar collectors on them, and with such huge primary foils, I see no advantage or need for having them.

Any ideas?

**Yes I know it's fiction, but this is just fanspeak and thought I'd see if anyone had some "real-world" ideas.**
"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

My Website

Offline JediTray

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
    • JediTray's Website
Re: Strike Foils....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 02:42 AM »
I forgot to add, of course the ARC-170 is supposed to be percieved as the predecessor to the T-65 X-Wing Fighter, and was manufactured in a partnership with Incom who later built the X-Wing, but that still doesn't explain the function of the Strike Foils on the ARC-170.

Ponder away!

:D
"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

My Website

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 07:04 AM »
Since to only place we really see these fighters in action (in the films) is in areas where there is an atmosphere, they may aid in manuverability and/or stability during dogfighting.

From the SW.com databank:
The ship's heavy nose contains sensitive long-range sensors for its snoop missions. Its extendable s-foils radiate heat and serve as a conduit to deflector shield energy. They also help stabilize atmospheric flight, making the ARC-170 an effective aerial fighter as well as a space superiority vessel
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 07:05 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediTray

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
    • JediTray's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Very interesting....

Thanks for sharing!

My Website

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Strike foils on all ships are supposed to releave heat stress generally...  That's what I've read and makes a bit of sense.  On the B and X wing fighters there's cannons on the ends...  Y and A Wings have fewer cannons overall, so perhaps the heat issue isn't as big an issue with them?

Or it could not be linked to the cannons at all...  Though gaming shows the engines, shields, and lasers are all interlinked energy systems on ships (the "ELS") and thus one affects the other...  During the civil war's beaming technology developments those too interlink and advance the productivity of the ELS(B) then on small ships.  Probably in some similar but smaller fashion to what destroyers and capital ships in general have.

I can buy the whole heat disipation thing though for "S-Foils" on really anything (not just fighters).  If we're talking maneuverability though, I dont' think that S-Foils have much impact...  When you look at any SW fighter, none of them appear aerodynamic in the slightest.  The way they fly in atmosphere I believe probably is mechanics more than design.  They can obviously vertically take-off as evidenced on Yavin IV, so I think they likely stay in the air more via their "technology" than anything else...  Maneuverability and such then probably isn't much different than in space I'd think.  Thus that lets the Rebel Speeders be the superior weapon on the field for certain circumstances...  They are more built for the atmospheric flight while the space-capable craft are capable of atmospheric flight but sometimes there needs to be something specific for it.

On another note, I've never liked the whole attempt to tie the ARC-170 to the X-Wing...  While there's vague physical similarities, the EU shows there's also dozens other fighter types by dozens other manufacturers (including Incom) that bear the same "look" and shape...  And many of them are closer in purpose/style than the ARC-170.  For me it's a matter of Lucas overdoing it on trying to tie one trilogy to the other... 

The ARC-170's S-Foils I don't see as being exclusive to that design then.  Many ships by many companies can feature swing-wing designs for similar reasons, or maybe other functional purposes.

The ARC-170's 3-man crew, weaponry, and other features really imply it has a purpose wholely unique of that of the X-Wing fighter from the classic trilogy...  I don't see it as much of a precursor to the XW so much as it being just (perhaps) made by the same manufacturer...  Perhaps they realized the advantage of heat disipation and wanted to incorporate that in the XW then or whatnot.  I however dont' see a direct evolutionary link between the two fighters.  I stick with the EU line that the Z-95 Headhunter was the real grandfather of the T-65, and that the ARC-170's a ship unto itself with no (known) future in Star Wars.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediTray

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
    • JediTray's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Thanks for that, Jesse James!!

These are great explanations, and they do "make sense" as much as Star Wars vehicles can.   :D

Also, when in atmosphere, the Rebel Alliance fighters have repulsorlift generators for those smooth transitions to space.  With this technology, aerodynamics do not apply and the vehicle can be like a Borg cube and move in atmosphere.

I agree that things like the Z-95 are more related to the X-Wing.  I'm just glad that there is some explanation for the ARC's S-Foils, because while I figured it had to do with heat or shield generation, I wasn't totally convinced and I don't know why I missed what was said on the Official Site's database.

My Website