Author Topic: MLB 2006  (Read 43261 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2006
« Reply #165 on: October 4, 2006, 11:07 AM »

As much as it pains me to pick the Yankees, I think it's just too much offense for Bonser/Silva/Garza to handle (especially after seeing Jeter et al light up Bonderman last night). 

I agree, the Yankees are the AL all star team.  Last night, it was Nate Robertson though, a leftie.  Bonderman's pitching later in the series if the Tigers can win a game I think.  Leyland chose Robertson over Bonderman because the Yanks have a slew of lefties in their lineup Damon, Abreu, Giambi, Cano, Matsui.  Roberston throws to the tune of a .150 OBA against lefties.  But even at that, the righties in our lineup are total nightmares for pitchers too, ARod, Sheff, Jeter, Posada (switch).  So, anyhow, that was the rationale to use Robertson game 1.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #166 on: October 4, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Last night, it was Nate Robertson though, a leftie. 

D'oh - typo!  I knew that...  chalk it up to lack of sleep. :-[
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 4, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Santana was fine, this was the problem...

0-for-3 = Mauer
1-for-4 = Cuddyer (and that hit was in the 9th)
0-for-4 = Morneau
0-for-4 = Hunter

That's not what you like to see from your 3-4-5-6 hitters.   :'(

Having had Morneau and Hunter on my team for the stretch run in the playoffs, this isn't that surprising.  They did just well enough to beat out Detroit with help from KC.  I'm not optimistic and I am a Twins fan. 

I see Rodriguez' woes continue in the playoffs.  Any thoughts of him being moved in the offseason? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 4, 2006, 02:44 PM »

I see Rodriguez' woes continue in the playoffs.  Any thoughts of him being moved in the offseason? 

The talk here in NY is that ARod could be dealt under this specific list of conditions:

1.  The Yankees do not win the World Series.   We all think it is a complete slam dunk for us this season.

2.  In the course of not winning the WS, ARod hits .200 or less.

3.  Given 1 and 2, ARod is under so much distress from the NY fans and media, he waves his no trade clause, and leaves.

As a Yankee fan, I would love to see ARod dealt for a starting pitcher of the Ben Sheets/Jason Schmidt/Barry Zito caliber.  I'm not thrilled about Zito, but the other 2 would be great in a 1 for 1 swap for ARod.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #169 on: October 4, 2006, 02:48 PM »

The talk here in NY is that ARod could be dealt under this specific list of conditions:

1.  The Yankees do not win the World Series.   We all think it is a complete slam dunk for us this season.

2.  In the course of not winning the WS, ARod hits .200 or less.

3.  Given 1 and 2, ARod is under so much distress from the NY fans and media, he waves his no trade clause, and leaves.

As a Yankee fan, I would love to see ARod dealt for a starting pitcher of the Ben Sheets/Jason Schmidt/Barry Zito caliber.  I'm not thrilled about Zito, but the other 2 would be great in a 1 for 1 swap for ARod.

Why would they want Sheets?  He's hurt almost as much as Prior or Wood

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 4, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Schmidt and Zito are free agents so I don't think anyone is trading for them.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 4, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Schmidt and Zito are free agents so I don't think anyone is trading for them.

This is true, they may sign one of them, and trade ARod for a player of that caliber as well, only if they don't win the WS.

Sheets really hasn't been nearly as hurt as Wood and Prior.  In the past 3 years, he has averaged 24 starts.

This season, he has 116 K's in 106 IP, a 3.82 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP. 

If we don't win the WS, honestly, we're gonna have to ship ARod out of here because he just cannot handle the pressure of NY.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 4, 2006, 03:32 PM »
The Texas Rangers fired Buck Showalter today.  LOL.  Are they joking or what?  That GM needs to go if you ask me, the general management is the problem and has been for some time.  They need to stop giving 12 million dollar contracts to starting pitchers like Chan Ho Park and Kevin Millwood and get some real pitching in there.  They've always had the offense.  And who let Chris Young go?  Buck Showalter?  I think not. 

Totally laughable.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 4, 2006, 03:35 PM »
Bonser was actually decent but middle relief just lost a 2nd ALDS game for the Twins I do believe.

EDIT:  Done.  Twins in the hole 0-2, and facing elimination Friday.  Santana won't have a chance to save them unless they win Friday.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2006, 04:46 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 4, 2006, 05:11 PM »
The Texas Rangers fired Buck Showalter today.  LOL.  Are they joking or what?  That GM needs to go if you ask me, the general management is the problem and has been for some time.  They need to stop giving 12 million dollar contracts to starting pitchers like Chan Ho Park and Kevin Millwood and get some real pitching in there.  They've always had the offense.  And who let Chris Young go?  Buck Showalter?  I think not. 

Totally laughable.

the GM for the rangers just started last year i think.  the millwood deal was kinda bad, but everything else is someone else's fault.  i kinda though buck got a bad deal too, but i think 4 years is a pretty long time in baseball to keep a managers job and never do better than 3rd place.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 4, 2006, 07:51 PM »

the GM for the rangers just started last year i think.  the millwood deal was kinda bad, but everything else is someone else's fault. 

Yes, the general management, John Hart the past few years and more recently this year the 28 year old Jon Daniels*, have not provided a team capable of winning that division.  Buck can only work with the players that the general management puts on the field. 

In other words, I don't think Joe Torre or Bobby Cox could have won with that Rangers team.  There's no freakin' starting pitching, what the hell was Buck supposed to do? 

The only good starter they've brought up through the farm in the past few years was Chris Young, and they gave up on him and let him go.

John Hart (old) and Jon Daniels (new)
« Last Edit: October 4, 2006, 07:57 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 4, 2006, 08:55 PM »
Because of the rain situation at Yankee Stadium tonight, Ivan Rodriguez may have an extra day to prepare for his new job, as the management of Sea World is replacing the algae cleaners inside their tanks with human workers:

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 4, 2006, 10:42 PM »
[

The only good starter they've brought up through the farm in the past few years was Chris Young, and they gave up on him and let him go.

i think they got eaton and otska in the trade for young.  otska was a pretty reliable closer, but eaton didn't really pan out.  if the trade had worked it would have been a pretty good 2 for 1, but of course its the rangers, so it didn't work out.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #178 on: October 5, 2006, 06:02 PM »
Where are you Dressel?  No comments on the Yanks?? WTF?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 5, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Where are you Dressel?  No comments on the Yanks?? WTF?

Um, they lost a game.  Big whoop.  Probably will be the only one of the series.  If they drop a second game, you'll see me nervous.  I wrote this on October 2nd for a reason:

Well, let's just give this a shot and see how close I can get to predicting this outcome:

AL Division Series

Yankees over Tigers in 4 games

If it's a commentary you're looking for, I can whip one up right quick about the elimination game that the Twins are staring down the barrel of tomorrow.   I wouldn't be happy about facing Danny Haren, I'll tell you that much.  And if the Twins do manage to win a game, Rich Harden is comin' atcha game 4 with Zito backing him up.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2006, 07:19 PM by Dressel Rebel »