Author Topic: MLB 2006  (Read 43161 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
MLB 2006
« on: January 9, 2006, 02:26 PM »
Hall of Fame announcement is tomorrow... 

Here's to hoping it's finally Bert's year to shine.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: MLB 2006
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Here's to hoping it's finally Bert's year to shine.   :-\

No love for Bert... :'(

No love for Goose either, but finally the Hall opened it's doors for Sutter on his 13th try.

Here were the top ten vote getters:

Bruce Sutter      400  76.9% 
Jim Rice             337  64.8%
Rich Gossage    336  64.6%
Andre Dawson  317  61.0%
Bert Blyleven     277  53.3%
Lee Smith          234  45.0%
Jack Morris        214  41.2%
Tommy John      154  29.6%
Steve Garvey    135  26.0%
Alan Trammell     92  17.7%

Rice got closer this year with 65% (he had about 60% last year), but he's going to have a hard time getting in next year because some big names are going to hit that 2006 ballot - Cal Ripken Jr, Tony Gwynn, Mark McGwire...

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 04:14 PM »
I'm a little out of touch on the process for the Hall of Fame - does just the top vote get in?  I thought there were a couple guys each year that entered the Hall.  ???

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 04:17 PM »
I'm a little out of touch on the process for the Hall of Fame - does just the top vote get in?  I thought there were a couple guys each year that entered the Hall.  ???

You need to get 75% of the possible votes to get in. 

So, for example, this year you needed to get 390 (votes out of a possible 520) in order to get in...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 04:18 PM »

You need 75% of the votes to get in, which this year was 390.  There's no cap to the number of players elected each year (although it's usually very low, 1-3 players.)  As long as you have 75% of the votes, you're in.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I hate their system for getting into the HOF.  My God you have to be almost a super-human ball player to even have a hope and prayer of getting that many votes. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I think its a crime Jack Morris is not getting in, that guy was the best big game pitcher in baseball in the 80's and early 90's and won four rings

When I think of pitchers of the 80's I think of Gooden, Ryan, Clemens and Morris

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 08:46 AM »
I hate their system for getting into the HOF.  My God you have to be almost a super-human ball player to even have a hope and prayer of getting that many votes. 

Yup, plus the writers/voters have to like you as a person.  You would have had to kiss some media ass in your day.

I think its a crime Jack Morris is not getting in, that guy was the best big game pitcher in baseball in the 80's and early 90's and won four rings

When I think of pitchers of the 80's I think of Gooden, Ryan, Clemens and Morris

I think Ryan and Clemens are slam dunks.  Morris and Gooden, on the other hand, are going to have problems.  I'd say Gooden is definitely not going to the Hall, especially with his problems with cocaine lately.  But I know what you mean about the pitchers of the 80s, I'd like to also add Mike Scott to that list.
They cannot conquer forever!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Frank Thomas?  Didn't want him.

Mike Piazza?  Didn't need him.

The Twins found their man in Ruben Sierra...  wait, what the hell?

This is the guy we needed for a power boost?   ???

A 41yr old .268 career hitter who hit a whopping .229 last year for the Yankees? I guess I just sit back and hope it pans out...  :-\

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2006, 10:19 AM »
The thing that really gets me about the Twins bargain basement shopping this offseason is how Terry Ryan came out and said they would spend money to get some hitters.  They should have spent a little more IMO and picked up some people who would help this team.  They just basically replaced Jones and LeCroy with similar hitters.  They will need the people they picked up to have career years just to improve the team a little.  I wish Pohlad's cheap @ss would just sell the team to a local who wants them.  Maybe then a new stadium deal could get done.  Nobody wants to give Pohlad one after all the crap he's pulled. 

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2006, 05:41 PM »
Well part of the problem for a lot of teams was that the FA crop was not all that great this season. 

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Well part of the problem for a lot of teams was that the FA crop was not all that great this season. 

Agreed.  A very subpar class.  I'm thinking I may go to see 1 or 2 of the World Baseball Classic games at Angel Stadium.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 9, 2006, 10:09 PM »

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 09:44 AM »
So Sammy Sosa will probably retire.  I used to like the guy until the corked bat incident and the enhancement issue.  What a shame.

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 03:49 PM »
I must say, as much as I'd hate to, that this looks like the Yankees year.  With a healthy pitching staff (that's deep) and adding Damon, I really think that this could be a 100+ win year.  Plus Robinson Cano might really go ape**** this year.  That is one scary outfield the Yankees have there with Sheffield, Matsui and Damon.  Actually, the infield is scary too if Giambi is Giambi again.  Never hurt to have A-Rod either.
They cannot conquer forever!