Author Topic: MLB 2006  (Read 43252 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2006
« Reply #195 on: October 8, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Name:     Dressel Rebel
Position:    Jedi Council
Date Registered:    May 18, 2003, 06:40 AM
Last Active:    October 7, 2006, 06:00 PM

Where you at, Dressel?

Wow that pretty easy for someone who never comes out and declares his allegiance to a team.  In fact, I don't think I've seen you be a fan of any team in any of the 4 sports.  Rangers fans, Twins fans, Red Sox fans, they can come in here and dish out the dirt, because I've slung a ton of mud their way too (even though I let the Sox fans off easy this year).

But seriously Matt, if you're not gonna pick a team, then instead of coming in here and bashing Yankee fans, you should just shut up.

Everyone else, it's open season.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2006, 12:44 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #196 on: October 8, 2006, 01:33 PM »
Wow that pretty easy for someone who never comes out and declares his allegiance to a team.  In fact, I don't think I've seen you be a fan of any team in any of the 4 sports.  Rangers fans, Twins fans, Red Sox fans, they can come in here and dish out the dirt, because I've slung a ton of mud their way too (even though I let the Sox fans off easy this year).

But seriously Matt, if you're not gonna pick a team, then instead of coming in here and bashing Yankee fans, you should just shut up.

Well, that's not a very nice way to start your offseason, is it? 

Not bashing Yankee fans collectively--just you, 'cause you're a pompous blowhard who can't go three posts around here without mentioning either how great the Yankees are, or how great you are at fantasy sports, and I think that, coupled with "the greatest team in baseball history" being knocked out of the first round of the playoffs, is comedy gold. 

Like I've mentioned before, I'm a casual sports fan, and you're right--I don't have too many allegiances to any teams, at least in the pros, anyway.  I much prefer college football and basketball to their pro counterparts, and I root for OU (who, yes, got their asses kicked yesterday) and, to a lesser extent, OSU (and they lost, too).  As for baseball, I was a Mets fan twenty years ago, but when they broke up, I pretty much stopped following any certain team.  Around here, our minor league team is a farm club for the Rangers, who are also our closest MLB team, proximity-wise, but I've always hated the Rangers, so I don't really root for anybody--just good baseball, although there are certain players and teams I like more than others.  (I'm assuming the fourth sport you're referring to is hockey, which I couldn't care less about.)

So for me, when I'm watching a game and don't care one way or another about either team, I root for the underdog.  And there hasn't been as big an underdog as the Tigers in recent memory.  So their win yesterday, combined with all your (now-meaningless) season-long loudmouth smack talk, well,  it was like a gift from God.

Time to eat your **** politely, "Dressel."  Don't like it?  Too bad.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2006, 01:36 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 8, 2006, 01:39 PM »
I don't really root for anybody

Then you have nothing to say.

You're a troll in every other thread, and you're a troll here.  Why are you in here then?  You don't even have a team.  You're sitting up there in an ivory tower casting stones at whoever you want, and you don't even root for a team.  That's the sports fan's equivalent of a coward.  I'm supposed to sit here and believe that you watch MLB games and don't have a favorite team  ::)

Sure thing Matt.  We all believe you.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #198 on: October 8, 2006, 02:47 PM »
Yeah, amusing watching an all-star lineup with a $200 million payroll get bounced by an overachieving buncha' no-namers.  Heh.

As for SoCal, another bust of a year.  Dodgers, as expected, got swept right outta the first round once again.  Yawn.  We were actually trying to get tickets to the game yesterday, but the cheapest seats left were $150 each, so we passed.  Thank God.  So that keeps our playoff victory total at a whopping one game in the past 18 years.  Freakin' dynasty we are!

Halos came up just short this year, after putting together a great second half.  If we'd had Colon (last year's Cy Young winner) around this season, that might've made the difference.  Though the A's were playing out of their gourdes all season long, which I still can't really understand.  I guess the Twins fans can attest to that as well now, after that surprising series sweep.  Crazy watching the Twins come all the way back to win that division though, so kudos for that, at least.

Buncha ****** series so far in the playoffs, and I rather expect the Padres to fall to the cards in the next game as well.  Not terribly interested in any of the remaining teams really, but I guess it'd be the most exciting to watch the Tigers inexplicably win it all.  We'll see...

Please, carry on with the Yanks bickering now.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #199 on: October 8, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Then you have nothing to say.

You're a troll in every other thread, and you're a troll here.  Why are you in here then?  You don't even have a team.  You're sitting up there in an ivory tower casting stones at whoever you want, and you don't even root for a team.  That's the sports fan's equivalent of a coward.  I'm supposed to sit here and believe that you watch MLB games and don't have a favorite team  ::)

Sure thing Matt.  We all believe you.

Yep, I don't have a favorite team.  What's so hard to believe about that?  Like I said, around here, the Rangers are kind of the adopted favorite team, due to proximity and the farm team, but I've never cared much for them.  The Cards are another popular team, and I like them okay, and I like to watch Pujols.  The Cubs and the Braves are other local favorites--which I guess is because they're on TV all the time with WGN and TBS or TNT or whatever it is.  Never cared much for the Cubs, and have always hated the Braves.  And believe it or not, I don't hate the Yanks--it's their arrogant fans like yourself that I can't stand. 

No, I'm just a fan of the game in general.  I don't have to have a "favorite team" to enjoy watching the game of baseball, and to post in this thread, thank you very much.

As far as the rest of the playoffs go, I'll be rooting for the Tigers in the AL, and I don't know who in the NL.  Cards/Pads/Mets--I don't really care, although I guess it'd be fun to see Pujols some more.  But, since I was a Mets fan back in the day, I'd kind of like to see them do well, too.  But I guess I'll probably be rooting for the Tigers to win it all, since I think that would make for the most-interesting story, after all those years of ineptitude, and also because they defeated the greatest team of baseball players ever assembled in the history of the game. 

But, above all else, no matter who wins, I'd just like to see good baseball.  Shouldn't be a problem, now that ARod's on vacation.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 8, 2006, 03:00 PM »

Please, carry on with the Yanks bickering now.

It's not really "Yankees bickering".  I mean, obviously I'm not in a great mood.  But for all that just happened with the Yankees colossal collapse, when Jeff, or Scott, or JohnH, or Mikey D comes in here and really blast me and Yankees fans with both barrels, that's fine.  I really don't have any problem with that, because they all have a target on their chest as well with the Twins, and Rangers, and Red Sox.  They have business saying something.  

But for Virex to come in here, not even having a baseball team, targeting me in particular, it is 100% trolling and nothing more.  He's checking up on when I signed in.  He took my signature and put it in his signature.  He's just pure baiting me.  And I can't be surprised really seeing as how I spent 3 minutes going through his recent posts and saw him attacking CHEWIE, Kevin, Jaye, Greg, some other less frequent posters, and now myself.  That's his only interest.  He could care less about baseball.

And I'm not even crying about Virex.  I'm not even surprised the staff watches him do it, that's customary around here.  I just think he should shut the **** up.

My next baseball post will be in April.

EDIT:  Bah, with all the Yankees moves that are going to happen in the offseason, sometime this winter  ;)
« Last Edit: October 8, 2006, 03:03 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #201 on: October 8, 2006, 03:09 PM »
But for Virex to come in here, not even having a baseball team, targeting me in particular, it is 100% trolling and nothing more.  He's checking up on when I signed in.  He took my signature and put it in his signature.  He's just pure baiting me.  And I can't be surprised really seeing as how I spent 3 minutes going through his recent posts and saw him attacking CHEWIE, Kevin, Jaye, Greg, some other less frequent posters, and now myself.  That's his only interest.  He could care less about baseball.

And I'm not even crying about Virex.  I'm not even surprised the staff watches him do it, that's customary around here.  I just think he should shut the **** up.

I need a picture of a crying baby, stat!  Here, Drebbel, I think you've used this one before:

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 8, 2006, 03:21 PM »
(I'm assuming the fourth sport you're referring to is hockey, which I couldn't care less about.)

>:( >:(

Oh wait, you're not in North Dakota/Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan.  You're excused.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #203 on: October 8, 2006, 03:57 PM »
And I can't be surprised really seeing as how I spent 3 minutes going through his recent posts and saw him attacking CHEWIE, Kevin, Jaye, Greg, some other less frequent posters, and now myself.  That's his only interest.

Just a minor nitpick, if I may.  Yes, I have had run-ins with those folks in the past, but CHEWLIE hasn't posted here in months, Greggers has never posted here at all (to my knowledge), Bertha showed up for the first time in months the other day, quoted one of my posts, and left just as soon as she arrived, like the idiotic, hit-and-run troll she is, and I have no idea who Kevin is.

(Okay, that's a lie, I do know who Kevin is, but haven't had any dealings with him recently, either, that I know of.)

He could care less about baseball.

The correct way to say that would be "couldn't care less."  "Could care less" implies that there is still some leeway for me not to care about baseball. 

But that's a moot point, because I do care about baseball.  I played it for several years (and terribly miss playing), and enjoy watching it, both in person and on TV, and I especially look forward to all the post-season stuff.  I just don't feel the need to post about it all over the place like a rabid, testosterone-overloaded ******* all the time.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #204 on: October 9, 2006, 11:42 AM »
I wish I had some witty retort about the Yankees to add, but I don't because it looks like it's all been said already.

Just consider me among those who are happy that they are dead too... makes the Twins loss a little more tolerable to know that the Yankees are out as well.   ;D

It will be interesting to see which heads roll for this latest Yankee implosion. Rumors are already swirling with Pinella possibly replacing Torre...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 9, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I don't even think the Yankees would've even been in the playoffs had the Sox looked like a MASH unit in the second half of the year. Sox had to rely on almost all rookies and scraps to get the job done in the second half. Almost every player went down with an injury at one point...between David Ortiz's irregular heartbeat and pitcher Jon Lester fighting cancer, there isn't one team in the league that could've fought through that...Yankees included. The problem is that the injuries mounted immediately after the trade deadline where Varitek and Nixon where the first to fall to the injury bug and everything got worse from there...we also saw injuries to Wily Mo, Coco, Manny, Papelbon, Wakefield, Timlin, Loretta, Gonzalez, Lowell, Youk, etc...

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2006, 03:24 PM »
Add me to the list of overjoyed over latest Yankees' recurring playoff exit.
My team sucks [Giants] and well, I've heard all the negatives about them/world series wins 0, but they are still my hometown team and I stand by 'em. I'm sick of the Yankees. Get into an argument with most Yankee fans and the first time you jeer them they wanna know who your team is, next they shallowly argue about how many World series your team won ect ::). Sickening..as if all cities/owners can pay that much for a golden team from year to year ::). It seems like the baseball gods are giving payback to them in some way for succeeding in buying out all the big name players consistently over the years? It seems devilshly funny to me annually how you see the Yankees fan drool over new announced 'buy-in' talent and the end year result is early playoff exit :D.

I felt this year was a good one but my favorite was the Red Sox down 0-3 and winning it then the world series too what an ultimate slap.

Anyway, I'm happy about it this weekend's result. What was funnier was ESPN's tough poll about which player you would rather have on your team AROD or TO?

The DS 

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2006, 01:53 AM »
I am still pumped over the Tigers win again tonight.  Now I wish I hadn't given up my seat to the game on Friday to my son  :'(.
Beth

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2006, 12:05 AM »
So, the Cards and Tigers in the World Series.  I was close.   :-X

How do you Cub fans feel about the Pinella appointment?  He's always been one of my favorite managers, and I think he could be the guy to get in there and chew some asses into gear.

John

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Go Cards!! Hopefully it'll be a better WS than the last one they were in... that was almost "scripted" for the BoSox.