Author Topic: Battle of Tatooine Wave  (Read 81134 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Battle of Tatooine Wave
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2005, 05:11 AM »
R5-D4- are we sure this is a new sculpt?

Don't know, but if it's not, I'm setting fire to my collection room.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2005, 10:12 AM »
R5-D4- are we sure this is a new sculpt?

After all the fussing over the old one and the amount of requests for a new scuplt, I don't think Hasbro would dare to give us a repack.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2005, 01:18 PM »
Just read the R5-D4 thread over at Rebelscum, if for no other reason than to enjoy all of the confusion over the "Slacker" label.  And, well, they didn't disappoint!  "What does it all mean?"  "I think it's referring to the fact that Hasbro took so long to make a new one."  "I think it's because all he did was stand there and pass out."

Then it finally dawned upon someone that it was a sly reference to Arfive's bad motivator, which then led to a bunch of "there better not be a 'bad motivator' action feature!" talk.

And while I believe that action features usually suck, I do think that, if they did it right, such an action feature on the new figure could actually be pretty cool.  Nothing silly, nothing to cripple the rest of the figure, just a simple button press, which would make a panel on the top of the head pop up. 

Those of you familiar with the POTF2 R2-D2 with Tools, released back in '98, will know what I'm referring to.  Press the holo-projector on the back of the dome, and the scope pops up.  It works pretty well, and hardly detracts from the looks of the figure (and this was sculpted eight years ago--it would probably be even better if they did it again today).

So, it probably won't happen, but I'd love to see such a feature on the new Arfive.   It would give an otherwise "boring" droid some play value, and--best of all--it would actually be faithful and accurate to the movie.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Just realized that Arfive doesn't have any holo-projectors sticking out of his head (nor any other protruding buttons or knobs, for that matter--except his eyes), so doing a subtle button for a pop-up bad motivator probably wouldn't be as easy as I thought.  They could put it in a panel somewhere on the body, but that would likely compromise the head's ability to spin 360 degrees, which wouldn't be good.

Plus, the red panel on top of the motivator blows away entirely when it goes, so that might look a little strange.  They'd have to keep the red panel on there, and then it would look like one of Artoo's sensorscopes.

So, I guess a bad motivator feature isn't such a good idea, afterall.

Still though, I'm excited to finally get one of these done right.  A new R5 head, combined with the new astromech body, is more than enough to make me happy.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2005, 06:26 PM »
Yknow, rather than re releasing Luke or Han again, they should repack the cantina band member, maybe give him some new articulated knees.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2005, 07:07 PM »
Yeah you are right Greedo.  It has been a looooooooong time since they had that fan club exclusive Cantina Band Member.  I would not even mind having a carded one.  Even if it was a straight repack.  Of course the idea here is to give the kiddies and the new collectors a Han and Luke on the shelves.  Which does actually make sense.  I know.  I know.  Every time a collector goes down the aisle they never ever seen any kids interested.  Maybe it is different here in the Phx, AZ area but there are always kids looking especially on the weekends.  Twice I have been foiled by kids getting their hands on the only two Redshocktroopers I've ever seen.  Boo-hooohoooo :(

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2005, 08:23 PM »
The band member would have been a good repack.  I think it makes sense to have Luke and Han out there (as many kids ask about them in the SW aisle, they should be out there now) but the band member would practically be a new figure.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2005, 08:27 PM »
I totally agree.  A band member would be an excellent choice rather than Han...

As for R5D4, I don't mean to sound like a jerk... but I'd probably laugh my arse off if they did a repack.  I seriously would!  It would be such a slap in the face, that I'd think it's hilarious.

Besides, I'm pretty happy with this version... they might just repack this -

:P

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I'm pretty happy with this version... they might just repack this -

Yeah, now that you mention it, there's really not too much of a difference between the Star Tours R5, and the R5 in the movie, at least in terms of looks, anyway.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2005, 04:34 PM »
I like R5-D2 from the Star Tours line but not as a replacement R5-D4.

Given that the body's 100% unlike R5-D4 due to the HUGE gash on his left side, and that the eyes on his dome are too few and nothing like the film R5's, I think that makes some pretty big differences.  Not to say I wouldn't buy a re-release of R5-D2 painted differently or something (even if not in the film), but R5-D4 simply needs a new dome sculpted and slapped onto the Preview Astromech R4's body (or I'd even be happy with it being put onto R2-Q5's body sculpt since that would work).  This is a figure so long in the wait though that anything half-assed isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2005, 06:29 PM »
Don't forget abot the antena on his dome. R5-D4 has been in demand for so long, that they have to get it right. On another note, regarding the sandtrooper. This figure would be so much better if they added some wrist articulation so he can hold his rifle with both hands. It's kind of annoying to have an army with such limited poses.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2005, 07:54 PM »
You never know - they've stiffed Wedge three times in a row now.  There's something peculair about Hasbro coming just short of expectations on the stuff we REALLY want (Wedge, SA everything, etc.).

Maybe it's just me. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2005, 02:47 PM »
I do realize that the R5D2 isn't an accurate version of R5D4... I guess for whatever reason, R5D4 just isn't too important of a character to me, and I'm just happy with the Star Tours one.  Kinda weird I guess... but I love that figure.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2005, 09:17 AM »
The band member would have been a good repack.  I think it makes sense to have Luke and Han out there (as many kids ask about them in the SW aisle, they should be out there now) but the band member would practically be a new figure.

The Cantina Band Member would be a figure I wouldn't mind seeing repacked either.  I really started getting into collecting a little late for this, and it would be a nice figure to see in one of these waves.  As far as Luke and Han go, I really don't mind seeing them included in waves now and then.  Particularly if they are new sculpts of some of the past figures that we could really use new versions of (Stormtrooper and Endor in particular).  Otherwise, in a wave like this, if they are smart enough to repack the VOTC Han instead of Cantina...I think that's great.  I'd probably buy another one to be honest with you.  And, as was mentioned earlier, although kids aren't always swarming the Star Wars aisles, I do see them there more this past year+, and I have seen many asking for Luke, Han, Chewie, R2/3PO, Vader, etc.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2005, 10:02 AM »
For as much as I hate to admit it, I think having Han and Luke in this wave is pretty smart. I've head people asking for them as well when looking for figures this past year.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."