Author Topic: Battle of Tatooine Wave  (Read 81152 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Tatooine Wave
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2005, 11:00 PM »
You know, this is still a great time to be a Star Wars collector... with product looking this good so far, 2006 should be a good year again.  And I think we'll have many more good years to come.

:P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2005, 11:01 PM »

Ithorian -Man, I cannot wait for this guy. Put me down for at least 3 of him. That skirt will be an awsome Jedi skirt for a custom.

R5-D4 - I'll be getting one of these. :)

Finnaly, a new holster! And an awsome figure included. I'm impressed.

I cant flipping wait for this figure. The potential for customs alone has sold me on 4 or more.

Luke Skywalker - I want this figure for the Poncho, hat, and Binocs. Once I see the body I'll see if I want one to keep as Luke.

Sandtrooper - Yep, I'll take two of them as well.

I'm so impressed by these new figures.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2005, 11:03 PM »

OHMYGAWD! Hasbro has stepped to an all new low! They didn't get enough of re-re-releasing the Commtech Han, so this time around they gave it a new head and are calling it a new figure. Holy ****** smokes, what a lark! The rest of the wave is cool though, the aliens are kickass and finally R5-D4 in all his glory!

Ok after posting that I realize it looks like the quick "find fault with Hasbro" reply. And it sorta is, but it isn't. I can understand re-releasing a figure and maybe fixing it up a little, that's what they have done with the Luke as that appears to be the Commtech Luke with a new head. But damn, how many times in the last 2 years has the Commtech Han been re-released and now there is a superior Han out there they could use. It's just so disturbing.

However, I think the rest of the wave is killer, Momaw Nadon looks outstanding a great sculpt and is definitely awesome custom fodder. The same for Hem Dazon, he has a nice rich detail to him. The same goes for Garidan, who knew there was so much more to him. R5-D4 is finally here and it's what we've all wanted. The Sandtrooper is a nice re-release with a new weapon and the new head sculpt on the CT Luke looks pretty good, not enough for me to buy it, but close.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 11:09 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Wow. I'm absolutely blown away by this wave. :o

Count me in for a dozen of all 3 Aliens. They are excellent sculpts, and will ake some great fodder. The R5-D4, while just an EB/VOTC rehash, looks awesome. Count me in for a few of him too. Of course I have o have a few Sandtroopers. The Luke looks decent, I'll pick him up. I'll probably grab a Vader to have carded, but I don't need a loose one. Same witgh Han, I'm in no need of another one, I wish they had repacked the VOTC version instead.

The one thing I'm not so excited about is the apparent lack of articulation. I really hope this isn't a sign of the future... :-\
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 11:19 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2005, 11:26 PM »
The more I look at these pictures, the more I LOVE the 4 new figures.  Fantastic!

Momaw = GREAT!

R5-D4 = a long time coming!

Garindan = that holster/belt is really amazing!

Hem Dazon... so beautiful...  :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2005, 11:31 PM »
Looks like R5 has some seams here and there on his front paneling - it may have "Bad Motivator Exploding Action"...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2005, 11:36 PM »
Looks like R5 has some seams here and there on his front paneling - it may have "Bad Motivator Exploding Action"...

Good eye.

Looks like a removable pannel.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2005, 11:45 PM »
It is the EB/VOTC R2-D2 body with a new dome. The panels are the same as the R2 and it has the removable third leg. So they saved some $$$ making it, but I'm still happy. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2005, 12:02 AM »
What a great wave! I'll be getting all the aliens and R5, as well as a few Sandtroopers. Vader is the 500th again (I think), and the kitbash Han and Luke don't look apealing to me. Great work though!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

SilverZ

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2005, 12:02 AM »
The new figures look great and seem to pick up right were they left off with the last cantina wave in OTC. There's a small step back in articulation with the lack of knee joints, but those sculpts are so great, it doesn't concern me that much. I really excited by Garindan. I didn't think it was a figure worth resculpting, and then, wow. A total treat.

Han is odd. If they went through the effort to redo the head, they should have probably tinkered with the left arm, which has always been my one sore point with the figure. If it was straight, I'd probably complain about this Han a lot less. I bet this figure has become a joke at Hasbro and they're dying to read all the reactions to his inclusion.

Luke makes sense to me. As long as I get that poncho, they can put it on any old sculpt and I'll be happy. It's the one thing missing from Tatooine Luke over the years and it's a joy to finally have it.

I hope R5 gets a bit of weathering as well, but for the love of god, it's about frickin' time!

So is the there going to be like 8 rehash Vaders this year? Yeesh.

All in all, a pretty good wave. I'm still concern we're taking a step back in articulation, but damn, the new sculpts are some of the best ever. Nice work.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2005, 12:13 AM »
So is the there going to be like 8 rehash Vaders this year? Yeesh.

Like Diddly said, I think the Vader is just the 2006 Hoth Vader (500th Vader repaint) trotted out again.

Vader wasn't in the initial rumor reports we got, so I think it's just a case of Vader "refreshing" the case for the kiddies...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2005, 12:21 AM »
Wow, what an update, and what a fan-friggin'-tastic wave of figures these turned out to be...  I'll sorta start from the weak offerings and work my way down the wave of figures...

Skywalker looks like he may be ok, but he also looks like basically just a figure we'll buy for new accessories.  The knees are T-16 Luke's, which sort of disappoints me because I think a new SA Luke Tatooine is in order after ALL the versions they've made....  However the figure's mostly obscured by the INCREDIBLE poncho accessory.  I hope the final one looks like that, because that's about the best use of cloth on a figure I believe I've seen, short of maybe VOTC Lando's intricately detailed cape.  That really looks like it's plastic at a quick glance, it is hanging/folding so well on the figure.  I'm cool with buying another Tat Luke but I just was hoping they'd take the VOTC articulation and do up a nice "final" one....  This figure isn't so bad I'm upset or anything, but if it didn't have the cool poncho there's a good chance I'd be passing on this one.

You've gotta be ******** me...  Cantina Han, again?  I mean, his decoration does look a bit more accurate but he really needs retired at this stage of the game.  VOTC Han should be the new standard Han recard/rerelease to me, so this figure is the stinker of the lot...  Good for kids, but VOTC's better for EVERYONE.  :)  Hell I'd even still buy VOTC Han for customizing if he was around...  Either way, I figured this one would underwhelm and it did.  Not even a repaint of the hands for the leather gloves?  Hmmph.

I always have liked my Momaw Nadon figure but what a nice resculpt this is...  Personally I'm not always too hot on Cantina Alien resculpts (Though Garindan's up there on my want list because he sucked so bad in POTF2), but Momaw turned out great.  I'm glad to say that I won't retire my other Ithorians either, which is cool for some cultural diversity in my dioramas.  The other Momaw's from the Cantina sets and basic POTF2 look nice and different enough they'll fit in still with this new figure.

His accessories are cool too...  I can't make out the articulation too well, but it looks fairly weak on Momaw unfortunately.  This sucks especially since he was actually sitting in the Cantina at a table, so it would really have been nice on this figure.  That said, the sculpt is amazing...  Articulation looks like it may be weakest of the 3 aliens though, yikes.  :-\  Really sharp looking though and good to add to any Cantina...  And I could be missing some articulation points too, they could be very well hidden.  Man that skirt piece looked like softgoods too at first, it's really nicely done.  Momaw looks like he should be asking for change outside the Cantina.

R5-D4...  About friggin' time on this one.  Am I the only one who wishes Hasbro included the other panel piece with "tools"?  Not that we see him use them, but still I just think it'd be a cool extra.  I'm also slightly more of a Preview astromech/R4-P17 sculpt with the retractable leg.  The panel of the VOTC R2, if you're not gonna get the extra panel and tools, detracts from the figure otherwise to me...  Still, this is a very good R5-D4 and I'm glad to have something to do R5 figure customs with and to fill a very big hole in the collection.

Garindan is just a HUGE improvement over the POTF2 figure.  I love that he appears to have a separate belt/holster, and a cool looking pistol (Squidhead's?).  The communicator he snitches with is really neat too and looks removable.  Softgoods robe? I'm there.  I hope his goggles come off to then...  

I am however disappointed to see no knee joints there.  That sorta sucks...  Not a huge issue with old Long Snoot to me, but it's further signs of articulation getting the shaft in the upcoming years and that just simply is a backwards step.  Garindan could use some knee joints incase you want him sitting around in your Cantina or just walking the streets of Mos Eisley.  Not as annoying as it is with army builder figures, but still not a positive mark for this figure.  He looks pretty great otherwise.  I'm wondering what the rest of his articulation is like, and what's doing under that hood.  Never seen his species without the goggles and that outfit.

Oh, and also of note is Garindan's holster has the thigh strap actually there and holding the holster down.  It's everything VOTC Han's holster should've been.  REally cool looking.

Hem Dazon has been one of my top wanted aliens from the Cantina...  He and Bom Vimdin.  I don't see Bom which sucks, but Hem's looking incredibly freaky and based on Expanded Universe designs of what the Arcona look like physically.  That's pretty cool and looks like it'll make Hem one of the more absurd looking aliens in the Cantina which is just what he should be.

Hem's pistol looks to be a resculpt for a to-scale version of Ponda Baba's/Rebel Hoth Trooper's sidearm.  That's cool and needed for the line...  Hem's definitely got the angle-cut articulation at the arms too, however it appears that once again knee joints were omitted, and this time on a guy who was definitely in the Cantina.  Like with Garindan I'm disappointed.  Hasbro's Cantina Wave at the end of OTC was really what the standard should be for figures at this point unless they're robed Senators where the articulation is pointless.  

Hem looks pretty awesome though, and I'm happy to be adding this one to the Cantina.  That diorama's filled up FAST in the last couple of years.

Sandtrooper...  Weird looking figure, I can't make out what's what there.  Looks almost like new thighs, but re-used Commtech Stormtrooper everywhere else with a Sandtrooper Pauldron?  I like getting black pauldroned Sandies though since they are the "grunt" supposedly, that's cool...  The stick's neat, looks like the Dewback rider's but smaller.  The sculpt's really hard to say if it's just the Commtech 100% or not though.  I'll take a couple if I can find them to mix up the group but I'd obviously have preferred the Evolutions Sandtrooper.  That would've been the ideal choice for them to use, and obviously not the choice we'd get for a re-release...  :)

Great wave though, lots of holes filled with this one...  And of course the obligatory Cantina Han re-release and the CT Stormie sculpt used at least in part.

EDIT:

OH yeah and there's a Darth Vader there...  great.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:23 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2005, 05:02 AM »

Looks like his Dufresne Campaign may have actually worked. . .

And just because the picture shows what appears to be a repaint of the VOTC Artoo (which is a smidge disappointing), let's not forget what's happened with the Artoo in the upcoming Battle of Hoth wave (i.e. early photos showed a repainted Sneak Preview sculpt, then the final production figure was a repainted VOTC sculpt).  Maybe the opposite will be true this time around.

And not that the VOTC sculpt is horrible or anything (it was fantastic until the Sneak Preview droid came out), but I hate for them to be using an inferior sculpt when a superior one is available. 

But I just realized--maybe this is a similar issue with all the different clone sculpts they've been using.  Maybe the Sneak Preview molds are occupied with the EE Astromechs, so they're using the VOTC mold to make the Hoth Artoo and this one.

At any rate, wherever he may be nowadays, I'm sure little Webster's thrilled that one of his dreams has come true.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 05:04 AM by Bill Cosby »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2005, 07:00 AM »
Finally they decided to throw in the poncho for Luke.  For that reason alone I will buy him.  Hammerhead looks incredible.  So does Garindan and Hem Dazon.  Wow!  Just Wow!  R5-D4 looks good to. 

So far that is the wave I am looking forward to the most along with the Hoth wave.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2005, 08:02 AM »
Holy ****… I wake up this morning and see these beauties!!!

I love everyone even the re-re-re-re-rehashed Han & re-re-hashed Vader, great wave.

Some of those sculpts and accessories are perfect and an excellent use of Soft Goods where needed. Esp. Garindan.

And from the looks, not and "action feature" among them

Thank you Hasbro, thanks for growing a pair
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 08:05 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird