Author Topic: Battle of Tatooine Wave  (Read 81286 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Tatooine Wave
« Reply #300 on: May 24, 2006, 08:53 AM »
Yeah, Garindan is a great looking figure.  I love that Hammerhead figure as well.  Especially after seeing Jared's loose pics.   I am just looking forward to the entire wave really. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2006, 08:58 AM »
"What are you looking at?!"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2006, 09:08 AM »
Awesome pictures once again, Jared. That Garindan just jumped to the top of my wants list. Hammerhead looks great, but I join Jesse James in asking where the articulation is? Even something like swivel elbows would make it that much better.

Luke and Han are meh... I'm really only getting Luke for the accessories. What is it about Hasbro not being able to sculpt a good Mark Hammil head? This one is decent, but Hasbro still has a ways to go.

Jared, is Luke's floppy hat the same as the one that came with the Flashback Luke?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #303 on: May 24, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Either way though, Garindan has features VOTC/VTSC Han's both should've had, a separate legstrap for the pistol holster.  I love that...  :)  Too bad the Han's don't have it because that's perfect.

I like to think they put that leg strap on Garindan because they read your "Cons" in the VOTC Han review.  At C3 they did admit to reading (and loving) your reviews, so we'll give you credit for that one Jesse.   ;)

Man, I am loving that Garindan.  Can't wait for the Hem Dazon pictures!   :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Initiate
  • Show No Mercy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 24, 2006, 10:34 AM »
I'm glad the Sandtroopers are VOTC Sculpts! ;D
"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."

-Betrand Russel

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 24, 2006, 11:56 AM »
wow... I wonder how anyone would keep their POTF2 version over the new Garindan... if this figure is a pegwarmer (which actually wouldn't surprise me) I'm going to try and get a lot for custom fodder.

:)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Well, I'm KEEPING my POTF2 Garindan because I'm a collector, and I'm nuts!  ;D I'll also get this one!  Excellent figure.  Is that a holster for his communicator?  That's nuts!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 24, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Well I only meant if someone were to not get this one because they have the old version.  Of course though some people aren't as crazy as we are.

:)

SilverZ

« Reply #308 on: May 24, 2006, 01:45 PM »
So, I'm wondering more and more about Han, and what exactly it is about the sculpt that Hasbro seems to love so much that he is considered their ideal basic line Han sculpt. Especially enough so that they would go through the effort of popping a new headsculpt on him. If they took that step, why not go a step further and kitbash the vTOC versions?

It seems that they want a generic version of core characters that they can continue to ship, like they're doing with Vader now putting him on new cardbacks. If they're going to do it with Han, they should fix that wonky left arm and the outdated leg articulation, and at least he'd be serviceable.

Jared, is Luke's floppy hat the same as the one that came with the Flashback Luke?

Its definitely the same hat, though it is noticeably white while the original is beige. The lenses on the goggles are narrower, too, because they've painted the surrounding frames over the original goggle sculpt area. I don't know if its really an improvement or not, but I like the white plastic better.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 24, 2006, 01:48 PM »
why not go a step further and kitbash the vTOC versions?

Laziness.   

Reference the piece of **** known as Hoth Vader. 

"Hey, let's keep Vader on the pegs for the kiddies.  Great idea!  But make sure to use the one mold (out of fifty) that cannot hold his lightsaber and has a removable helmet that doesn't stay on his ****** head!"

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 01:51 PM by ruiner »

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2006, 04:42 PM »
That Hammerhead is great, can't wait to add him to the cantina!  Now, this isn't a criticism, but isn't his head supposed to be even bigger and especially wider than it is here?  I'm pretty sure in referencing for my current Cantina dio that his head is just ginormous!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2006, 10:00 PM »
Due to tightening monetary conditions and space (I can't take all this crap into my dorm next fall and I question the wisdom of buying stuff only to leave it in my parent's basement indefinitely), the only one I'm getting from this wave will be Hammerhead.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2006, 10:19 PM »
Great pics, Jared. It's nice to see the new figs and get an idea of how they'll be before buying them. I know I'll be looking forward to this wave now. I'll probably get all but Luke and Han... yeah, Luke comes with great accessories, but until they can get a good head sculpt of Mark Hamill I'm hesitant.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 25, 2006, 12:47 AM »
wow... I wonder how anyone would keep their POTF2 version over the new Garindan... if this figure is a pegwarmer (which actually wouldn't surprise me) I'm going to try and get a lot for custom fodder

Yeah, but that's $7 on Garindan. Garindan. He's awesome and I love the holster, but I really can't bring myself to buy it instead of other things my $7 would inevitably go for. Maybe when I have more money or if I can find a loose one later on...

I mean, with $40 at the most to spend a month, I really kind of have to limit all Star Wars figure buying a bit :(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #314 on: May 25, 2006, 01:26 AM »
Thanks Jeff...  Ya know, honestly, I'd not even considered the thought they took my gripe about the thigh-strap for the holsters into consideration and it's cool if it is the case...  I'll gladly take credit for it because I am a jerk afterall. :)

It looks better I think too, and the holster wont' magically stay still while the thigh-strap moves all over the place when posing him.  Fantastic!  I just wish the Han's had gotten it as they are better articulated afterall.

STill, I love Garindan...  To me, besides the Sandtrooper, which is pretty perfect IMO (I love the stick...  It's not even accurate to the films is it?  It's just like this nice bonus they gave us) I think that Garindan is the winner in the wave...  R5's nice, Hammerhead's an improvement but he's hardly a step up in quality to me...  Luke's poncho kicks much ass by the photos (looks like it sits just right) and the hope chest of Ben's is neat...  Han blows.

Garindan and Sandtrooper steal the show, and to me the Sandie only wins based on articulation.  If Garindan had knees, he'd be my number one...

A close 3rd to them is Hem Dazon...  While he's been my most wanted Cantina alien, I'm disappointed in the articulation.  It's really tough to see 3 Cantina guys (counting Garindan) like this when in 2004/05 we got the Cantina Wave of figures that ALL had angle-cut elbows, swivel wrists, ball/socket knees, and then the basics for articulation...  Those were standard-setting actionf igures to me.  NOt perfect, not super articulated, but the ultimate in a compromise between fans and Hasbro.

You got great articulated figures overall, and sure they didn't do much but stand around, but you got some good quality toy out of your cash you spent...  Not statues.  Momaw's complete lack of articulation and the lack of knee joints on the other two just bothers me a lot.  Hasbro can do better and at this point for this price I think they owe it to us personally.  It'd just be nice to see a standard like that set, and then subsequently maintained throughout the line's life.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77