Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 12: Gladiators  (Read 30980 times)

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 12: Gladiators
« Reply #105 on: May 2, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I thought I could have the Psadan gladiator done this weekend but I had to take my wife to the hospital to have some surgury done. She is doing fine, but it through my schedule off. Now that she is doing better, I will get back to finnishing this piece up and hope to have the finnal pics up soon.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #106 on: May 2, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I thought I could have the Psadan gladiator done this weekend but I had to take my wife to the hospital to have some surgury done. She is doing fine, but it through my schedule off. Now that she is doing better, I will get back to finnishing this piece up and hope to have the finnal pics up soon.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Take all the time you need Ben. We undestand. :)

I just finished my final paper last night so I should be able to get the image thread updated sometime tonight.
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 2, 2006, 05:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

Jedi_Master_Ben

Ben,
Glad to hear that everything is okay at home.  That's obviously the most important thing!!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 2, 2006, 09:13 PM »
Yeah, take care of the family issues first and then hopefully you'll be able to catch up where you want to be back in the customizing addiction.

:)

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #109 on: May 9, 2006, 11:22 PM »
Hi guys,

Well talk about a weird month!!! I started the Psadan Gladiator at the beginning of April as soon as we decided on the theme. I nailed the front of the figure and then got hung up on what the character looked like from the rear profile. Kingdom Hearts stole me away with Donald and Goofy and Sora and King Mickey ( note: must make Jedi Mickey). Then decided on what the final sculpt will look like. I finish the sculpt only to realize I ran out of molding and casting supplies. I re-ordered supplies and then I had to take my wife to the Hospital for surgery. Whew!!! ::)

Now I would like to thank everyone who has passed on well wishes for my wife, Thank you!!! I would like to thank Ryan for allowing me to enter this figure late, Thanks Ryan ;D! Now for the good stuff!

Last time I posted an updated, I showed you all the final sculpt. I had a few questions regarding the articulation of the figure. I took a pic of the kit cast the way I spit up the figure.

As you can see, the intent was that the arms and head would have some articulation in the future kit. For the sake of the MCC, I decided to assemble the figure like a model kit with no articulation since I am only going to take some pictures and then set it on the shelf. I plan on continuing this project in wax to enhance the details and put in the articulation. Consider this phase of the figure as a prototype ;D.

Now I do not post any claims that I know how to paint a figure. I consider myself still a padawan learner when it comes to painting. I look at Chewie's and Hemble's paint jobs and drool. However, I know I cannot leave a figure without color, "it just would not be proper" as C-3PO would put it. So I struggled with the color scheme for a few days and finial decided to follow the description of the psadan at Wikipedia. Here is a 4-point profile of the Psadan Gladiator:

I also made the weapons using styrene sheet cut outs and model parts. Nothing fancy, but effective. And here is the final pic of the Psadan Gladiator for submission:

I hope you all will enjoy him. He was a lot of fun to make and a real challenge to get him done. Let me know what you all think. Thanks again for everyone’s support on this project.

Jedi_Master_Ben

"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #110 on: May 9, 2006, 11:25 PM »
OMG, man you are excellant, I saw your sculpt and thought this is gonna be one hell of a custom but all painted up its one ultra awesome custom.
 Also don't worry about the paint apps. I think they look great. The weapons are a nice touch too, He kinda looks like a big butcher with a giant cleaver ready to take your arm off. :P

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2006, 03:27 AM »
Wow dude, he rocks! If you find some time, is it possible to take a pic of him, next to another SW fig you have? Just for scale and reference. And I think your paint apps are really clean and sharp. With a bit of chewie-like weathering, you could really make this guy stand out!
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2006, 09:41 AM »
Ben, your gladiator came out great!   I was hoping you'd come back soon and finish this guy up.  Very impressive.  I think the painting looks very good and I think the styrene based weapons work perfectly.  I'll be interested to see the articulated version in the future!

Welcome back!