Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 13: Vehicles  (Read 45271 times)

Offline The_Tin_Man

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Site
Re: May's Monthly Customizing Challenge - Idea Phase
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 07:26 PM »
I vote vehicles.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Woa if we did vehicles I could finally enter  :o I started work on this litlle boat thingie merjigie last night...

I'll call it the AA-TT - Amphibous Attack Troop Transport... lol
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 07:48 PM by CommanderKorbra »
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 05:07 AM »

I'll call it the AA-TT - Amphibous Attack Troop Transport... lol

Why is that funny?

Vehicles get my vote as well. Hopefully I'll finally get around to finishing one of these again next month. My diorama got to about 90% completion and then I haven't really had a chance to work on it much lately. Finals end the 12th of May for me so I should have plenty of time after that. :)
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 02:06 PM »
My diorama got to about 90% completion and then I haven't really had a chance to work on it much lately. Finals end the 12th of May for me so I should have plenty of time after that. :)

I was going to ask about this project - I was looking forward to seeing it finished. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 05:25 PM »
I agree with tykrazen that this can be a one-month project... sometimes these are more simple than trying to make a specific custom figure because you can work off a base vehicle usually, especially if you're not going for an established design from scratch.

I guess it just depends on what you're trying to make.  Someone like me makes fan fiction stuff without a plan in mind and can usually make it quickly.  But if you want to make an AT-TE... it might take several months or even longer.

I say we do one month, and if you want to submit your vehicle a little late, then that's fine too.

:)

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 11:49 PM »
just a thought, but it would be cool if people new to the challenges could do ones from the past and be put into the archives as well for display.  Heck, even if you've already done one from several months ago and wanted to do another NOW, you could do it and have it posted.  Kinda like how FFURG keeps up their archives of their custom challenges. 
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 12:38 AM »
I see no problem with that Rolla.  Ryan updates the thread index on past submission and I'm sure he'd be happy to add in late additions.

:)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Cool! If thats the case I've got a few ideas for past projects that I'd like to do too.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 11:44 PM »
monday is may 1st, so is vehicles the challenge for may I assume?  :)
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #39 on: May 1, 2006, 08:00 AM »
I hope so because I started today :P...

I'm tackling the E-wing Fighter -- I've had this in mind for quite sometime and this finally gave me the motivation to start.  I chose this project, because there was such a great existing base for the vehicle, but it would require real construction work to make the wings -- that would be a good area to expand my skills.  I began with a vintage X-Wing Chasis and stripped the eletronics and non essential parts from it.  Then I began work on the droid socket.  I'm trying to create the tangled, messy mechanical look of the reference pic (from the DE Handbook published by DH).  Currently I've added the astromech flooring and the back wall with piping.  I plan on adding additional greeblies and wires to the back wall as well.  The roof to this compartment (with the big ole' gun on top) will be removable so that the astromech can be taken out (Which I guess means I need to customize an R6 unit.)

After I glued these parts in, I realized it probably made sense to make some templates of the cut pieces as I move along so I can make more of these at a later date if I wanted.  Oh well... these first cuts weren't too bad to do.

I've also begun cutting the wings -- I used a thicker stock for the wings to give it a little more structure.  I'm still debating how I am going to attach the wings to the chasis.  I'm leaning towards building a plug which goes through the hole in the side of the chasis and having another internal piece "locking" it in.  I'll post pics of the mechanism as I figure that out.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 13: Vehicles
« Reply #40 on: May 1, 2006, 04:04 PM »
What I would LIKE to do is a Vong Coral Skipper. The problem is I cant find any pics anywhere. I know there is at least one out there, Ive seen it. BUt I dont remember where. Can anybody help a brother out?

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #41 on: May 1, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I'll try and build one this month. But to get started, here's some pics of an older swoop I did

"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 1, 2006, 04:23 PM »
What I would LIKE to do is a Vong Coral Skipper. The problem is I cant find any pics anywhere. I know there is at least one out there, Ive seen it. BUt I dont remember where. Can anybody help a brother out?

I have some at home -- I'll try to scan them tonight.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 1, 2006, 04:57 PM »
I'm working on one or two vehicles this month (Did we decide if this was a one or two month project).   I'll throw out a picture from a Clone Wars Gunship I made a while back.  Its an older custom so it doesn't qualify for this project but I don't think I've shared it here.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 1, 2006, 07:14 PM »
I had 3 coral skipper pictures.  I've uploaded them here