I hope so because I started today
I'm tackling the E-wing Fighter -- I've had this in mind for quite sometime and this finally gave me the motivation to start. I chose this project, because there was such a great existing base for the vehicle, but it would require real construction work to make the wings -- that would be a good area to expand my skills. I began with a vintage X-Wing Chasis and stripped the eletronics and non essential parts from it. Then I began work on the droid socket. I'm trying to create the tangled, messy mechanical look of the reference pic (from the DE Handbook published by DH). Currently I've added the astromech flooring and the back wall with piping. I plan on adding additional greeblies and wires to the back wall as well. The roof to this compartment (with the big ole' gun on top) will be removable so that the astromech can be taken out (Which I guess means I need to customize an R6 unit.)
After I glued these parts in, I realized it probably made sense to make some templates of the cut pieces as I move along so I can make more of these at a later date if I wanted. Oh well... these first cuts weren't too bad to do.
I've also begun cutting the wings -- I used a thicker stock for the wings to give it a little more structure. I'm still debating how I am going to attach the wings to the chasis. I'm leaning towards building a plug which goes through the hole in the side of the chasis and having another internal piece "locking" it in. I'll post pics of the mechanism as I figure that out.