Author Topic: Newest Deluxes - much better Hasbro!  (Read 3307 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Newest Deluxes - much better Hasbro!
« on: May 15, 2003, 12:53 AM »
No, these aren't perfect, but I think that Hasbro has done a much better job on the latest deluxes; Kamino Obi Wan, Kamino Jango, Dwarf Spider Droid and Super Droid Builder.  For the most part, I think these are almost as good as Bacta Luke/Sail Barge Leia/3PO&Battle Droid/Nexu; especially the Kenobi.

Anyway, I received these yesterday from newforcecomics, and I think Jedirhino wanted to see what I thought of them, so here's my thoughts:

Super Droid

A pretty creative idea by Hasbro.  If you actually use the "quick-steel" compound, your Super Droid will probably look a little odd though.  The detail on the actual sculpted part of the droid is fantastic though, and even has articulated ankles.  Also, the compounding chamber is awesome.  It looks great in my ever expanding factory conveyor belt.  Also, my Super Droid is sitting down as if he is an incompleted droid, looks pretty cool that way.  The "creation" feature is kinda cheesy for adults perhaps, but I think most kids would like it; I know I would have about 15 years ago. ;)  This is a cool set in my opinion, I give it a pretty high grade at a B+

Dwarf Spider Droid

After reading all the bad reviews about this a while back, I'll admit that I wasn't expecting much.  But, truth be told, I opened mine and I really like it.  It would be a lot better if the cannon was proportioned right (can easily be customized though I think) and if it had the detail of the B'Mor Monk from a few years back, but I think this one is acceptable for now and I'll likely get 2-3 more.  The walking feature works fine, but they probably should have painted the white wind-up knob being so it didn't stand out so much.  Again, that is easily fixable.  If they decide to redo this in a few years though to make it more movie accurate, I won't complain.  Overall, a B.

Kamino Jango Fett

I wish they had used an all new sculpt for this Jango, or at least paid more attention to paint details on him.  But his action feature actually works almost half of the time (jumps from a platform and sticks to a Kamino column); and he looks freaking awesome hanging from the column.  Kudos to Hasbro in that regard.  Also, the Kamino column is great for a diorama, that alone makes this deluxe worth buying to me, as I will get at least one more for that column.  Overall grade to me is a B- because they used an old Jango sculpt.  Also, his helmet looks like it is removable, but it isn't.  

Kamino Obi Wan

Now this is one of my favorite deluxes ever, Hasbro captured the likeness of Obi Wan in this scene very well.  He is also posed well, and we finally have a plastic cloaked EPII Kenobi.  His legs unfortunately aren't articulated at all, but I'll forgive Hasbro this time because his waist still is which does make him slightly poseable, but his real articulation gem is his right elbow.  Total poseability!  This figure looks awesome squaring off against Jango, and he also comes with a column that has an action feature that works very well.  The hole in his hand is barely noticeable for the action feature (much better job there Hasbro), and they did a good job concealing the one in the back of his shoulder.  I give this an overall of an A.

Also, both columns with the Jango and Obi Wan connect to bases, and the bases connect to each other for a cool little diorama.  This is much better work by Hasbro, and is leaps and bounds above the crappy "flipping" deluxes, Anakin v. Geonosian Warrior, etc.

I know that not everyone may not agree with my assesments, so does anyone else have these yet?  If so, what do you think of them?

:P

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
Re: Newest Deluxes - much better Hasbro!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 08:53 AM »
Thanks for the awesome review Chewie...Now I know that I would like these for sure...and now I can drool with envy!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 09:52 AM »
I might have to pick up the Super Droid, just to add to my assembly line... Course, I still havent found a damned 3PO/BD yet.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 09:57 AM »
I received my Kamino Jango Fett & Dwarf Spider Droid & I must say these are Awesome. 8)  Well worth it IMO.

Jango Fettish

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 11:18 AM »
You're pretty gracious with your Deluxe Jango Fett review.

The figure is poor, and the action feature is pointless.
He never grasped the column horizontally for one it was vertically. The paint is poor and in typical Hasbro fashion, it's just a Kamino Escape Jango w/ new arms.

I'd give it a C-. Atleast the 2 sets (Jango/Kenobi) make for an awesome diorama.

I gave Jango a K.E. backpack, and it added some spark to the figure.

Obi Wan is great all around, sans the feeding tube, clear column, and box. Just need to paint the hole in his hand.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 10:15 PM »
I just got the Spider Droid and Super Battle Droid Builder tonight!! I found them at Target here in Indy.

I opened them up as soon as I got home. The Spider Droid does not walk that well. Not really worth the price. A nice piece for a display but not all that great. Not deluxe!! Maybe if they added a regualr Battle Droid or something to the set it would be more worth while. But army / diorama bulders will like it to add to scenes.

The Super Battle Droid Builder set is way cool! You can buy lots of these and they will connect to each other. I think it might even connect to the assembly parts from the Geo Arena. I recomend the Battle Droid Bulder.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 12:07 AM »
You're pretty gracious with your Deluxe Jango Fett review.

The figure is poor, and the action feature is pointless.
He never grasped the column horizontally for one it was vertically. The paint is poor and in typical Hasbro fashion, it's just a Kamino Escape Jango w/ new arms.

I'd give it a C-. Atleast the 2 sets (Jango/Kenobi) make for an awesome diorama.

I gave Jango a K.E. backpack, and it added some spark to the figure.

Obi Wan is great all around, sans the feeding tube, clear column, and box. Just need to paint the hole in his hand.

You can position Jango in more than one position other than just hanging there; not exactly horizontally, but at an angle.  I have mine like that.  Looks pretty darn cool to me!  And yes, a new Jango sculpt would have been nice.  But the fact that I really like the column, that the base connects to Obi Wan's base and that he can be positioned similar to the movie on the column make this very cool.  I based my grade on all these aspects, not just the figure itself.  If it were just the figure, then a "C" would have been generous in my opinion.

Also, do you have horizontal and vertical confused?  I thought that he did hang on it horizontally (sideways).

Jango Fettish

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 12:15 AM »
Vertical. Look where his missle tip is pointing, then notice the lights of the column run up and down, like so.

If it were horizontal, he'd be standing straight up hugging the column, which he didn't.

This feature could have worked, had they just painted the big silver bar like the rest of the column, making the lights the magnets.

Know what I mean? Thats why I say the feature itself is pointless, and not movie accurate. Could have given him a zip cord or something.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 11:09 AM by Jango Fettish »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 12:19 AM »
I received the Spider Droid, Super Battle Droid Builder and flying Jango Fett recently, and I can't really comment that much on them because they're staying carded.  I just wish the Spider Droid could have been a little bit more to scale.  It's pretty tiny in size, but it does look quite cool.  Jango could have been done better, or at least a new sculpt, and the Super Battle Droid builder does look sweet.
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 02:52 AM »

Just for clarification here, the column in this picture is standing vertically (up and down), where as Jango's body is in a horizontal position here while holding onto said column.  Horizontal = side to side.  Just think of horizontal as you would the horizon - spanning from side to side in the distance...   :)

Horizontal =   ------------------

Vertical =
                    |
                    |
                    |
                    |
                    |
                    |

I'll try to chime in with something a little more on topic about these Deluxe figures tomorrow...   ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 03:25 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 10:48 AM »
Overall, I really like these Deluxe offerings.  They're far superior to some of the Deluxe losers of last year (ie force-flipping, slashing Anakin, Jetpack Jango).

I like the way they paired up Jango & Obi-Wan.  They're really giving thought to inter-connectibility, and that it's an added bonus to openers.  The same goes for the Super Battle Droid builder.  I honestly can't see myself building too many SBD's, but the press is a nice addition to my growing Droid Factory.

My personal favorite of the bunch is Obi-Wan.  First, I'm just a big fan of the character.  Second, it's a robed version that looks pretty good, especially in his drenched Kamino look.  I can overlook the lack of leg articulation in this instance.  Plus, I think the action feature is about as unobtrusive as it could possibly be.

The Dwarf Spider Droid is cool, too.  I like the sculpt, although I think I got a gimpy one.  He only takes a couple of steps before he gets too pooped to pop.  Still, a good idea using fairly old design and technology.

I've yet to successfully get Jango to stick to his pillar.  It's just going to take a little practice, methinks.

Overall, I think these are some good offerings.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Jango Fettish

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 11:11 AM »
Making himself part of the column, he is vertical. Thats what I was trying to imply. Although from head to toe, he is indeed horizontal.

Point is..........the toy column was poorly designed, but still looks nice.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 01:14 PM »
Making himself part of the column, he is vertical. Thats what I was trying to imply. Although from head to toe, he is indeed horizontal.

Point is..........the toy column was poorly designed, but still looks nice.

Now I understand your point better.  I've been able to get my Jango more horizontal and more like the movie stills, which looks awesome to me.

Nice to see you like these too Nicklab, I think Hasbro has done a much better job with this batch.  My Spider Droid gets tired pretty quick too! ;)