Author Topic: Are you a "closet" Star Wars fan or collector?  (Read 8931 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a "closet" Star Wars fan or collector?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 02:35 PM »
I think a big part of being an adult collector of ANYTHING is having a place dedicated to your collection.

My stepmother's a big Yankees fan and has a small shrine in the seldom-used guest room. My stepfather had well over half the basement dedicated to his awesome HO scale train layout and brass engine collection. I have a studio on the thrid floor of our apartment where I put up shelves and shadow boxes to neatly display my loose collection.

A lot of how well any collection is received is in the presentation. If you put on a good show, people respond favorably to it. But if your crap is shoved into every available closet, spilling over into your bedroom, dining room, and kitchen, it just looks like Sanford & Son with toys. Nobody's going to respect a "collection" that looks like a toy factory blew up in your living room.

Like the teacher said, "Neatness counts."  :)
Post sober.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 02:53 PM »
Thats true. I have been rotating my items I display. That way I can show items with out it looking like a cluttered mess. I have a room for my stuff but I have so much it just looked like a tornado went through it. Now everything that is out is organized and set up. Then after I get bored with it I change it all out.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2003, 02:16 PM »
I'm bumping this thread back up to see where some of our newer members stand on this issue...   8)

In the closet, or out?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2003, 04:40 PM »
I would say that I'm "out" for the most part.  I don't go around announcing to everyone I see or work with that I'm a collector, but if anyone ever asked about my favorite movies, or my hobby, I would gladly tell them.  I used to get a little more embarassed of it when I first started collecting again (as an adult), but as I found communities such as this, I found out that there are many of you out there like me.  My wife is 100 percent supportive of my Star Wars collecting, gives me a few jokes about it from time to time, but always checks out toy aisles for me and will talk to me about it whenever I want to.  My family (and hers) all know I collect, though maybe some don't know the full extent of what I have.  My close friends know I collect as well, but most of them haven't ever actually seen it.  A few of my co-workers know I collect, and the majority of them know I'm a big Star Wars fan.  Like I said, I don't go around announcing it to anyone, but if anyone asked me, I would be glad to tell or show them. :)  I guess the bottom line is, while you should never be ashamed of who you are, you should only do what you are comfortable with too.  Its your life, just live it like you want to.  God and your loved ones will love you regardless :).

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2003, 05:12 PM »
I proudly speak of my toy collecting hobby to all that I know...if it seems like a proper subject. I'm not ashamed to be consumed with all that is toys or other hobbies.....

so in one word...you could say that I'm "Out" hehehee
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2004, 03:55 AM »
I think I technically came out of the closet today, kinda.  Well, I at least showed my "hobby/Star Wars room" to someone for the first time ever.  Jared (Tydirium) stopped by, and I gave him a good look into the chaos and insanity that is my collection room.  Up until now, the door to that room has stayed closed when folks come over to our place - even when we're giving them the "official house tour".  We'll occassionally let 'em take a nanosecond peep into the room, enough to see stacks and stacks of boxes and random stuff spread out all over the place.  Obviously, I don't really tell them what's IN all the boxes, so that's all well and good.

Of course, Jared already knew I was a hard-core collector, so it was more the collection room that was outted, than me personally, but hey - it's a start, right?!   :P

Any other closet SW collectors?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 03:11 PM »
I'm out like a deaf kid in musical chairs.

People ask me what my hobbys are, I tell them. And by people, I mean guys. I'll explain that later.

Most friends haven't seen my collection in its entirity. Currently, its all piled on shelves and floor. I need to re-do my room really bad.

When other people ask, I shamefully hang my head, and say "I collect Jurassic Park toys, and StarWars action figures." And by other people, I mean women.

Usually I get an "Aw, thats cute. How many do you have?" but sometimes, I get a "Wow. Your a freak."  Drives the ladies crazy wild. :-*

Oh come on, like you've never used the toys to get chicks.

Right?

Guys?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2004, 06:10 PM »
Hello,

My name is Matt and I am a Star Wars Collector!  

After selling off my modern collection (minus Kubricks / Clone Wars / Playskool)
I have the following in my closet:

x1 Darth Vader Mask, x3 Action Fleet Ships, x1 Comic 3-pack, 50 loose vintage figure extras, x1 ARC Trooper) that is it folks!  

I recently talked myself into this logic.  Vintage figures have the sentimental attachment for me and I have other things to do with my time and money.

So, I bought a 5 shelf glass display cabinet to display everything.  I went the whole nine and got clear real stands for all my figures and variations.

I will pick up interesting pieces like Sacul or Silver Figures, but that is about it.  Free from compulsion for about 6-8 months strong.

JediMac, when you coming over buddy to check it out and watch the "big aristotle" swat a few of Duncan's / cough Garnett's shots into the Staple Center bleachers?

-Fish-    

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 12:57 AM »
I'm 'out', mostly to family and close friends. Most of my collection is in plastic tubs in my parent's basement (the worst possible way to store a collection) until I buy a house. I have my favorite and/or most expensive stuff at my apartment.

Co-workers only know I'm a big movie and monster fan. They have no idea I stalk toy aisles looking for toys from a twenty-five year old movie. Fine with me. They don't need to know.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2004, 04:20 AM »
Some of my friends know about this some don't. Living in Romania it's difficult to explain them how you want to collecto something pretty expensive (I collect Action Fleet) when the medium salary/month is $150 and mine is about $200/month.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2004, 06:51 PM »
So...  I had a rather unpleasant (embarrasing) moment today.  I was just heading back to the office after grabbing lunch with Jared.  He had given me a Cantina set and a couple Endor Generals to pass along to Morgbug and chuckles, in a thin white plastic bag.  So I'm walking back to the office, and even go out of my way to come in through the back entrance to the parking garage, so I can stash the loot in my car without anyone from the office potentially seeing it, and discovering that I'm a dork, and not really the totally cool co-worker that they all know and love...

So whaddaya know...  I run smack dab into our secretary and office manager (both girls in their early/mid 20's), who were also returning from lunch.  They saw me from across the street originally, and hustled their way on over to me, and one of them starts asking "What's in the bag?"  I'm already trying to shield it's contents with my lunch leftovers box at this point, so they're keyed in on the fact that I'm trying to hide something from them.  Of course, that makes them want to see what's in the bag even more.  The one girls persists, bum rushes me, grabs a partial hold of the bag, and takes a look inside...   :o

Yep, those would be Star Wars action figures in there, thank you very much.   :-[  I'm having one of the more embarrasing moments of my life at this point, as they both start laughing at me, which turns into a somewhat playful session of taunting and ridiculing.  We talk a lot of **** to eachother as it is, and they could see they had me by the balls at this point, and they really went for the jugular.  Boy, I didn't hear the end of it.  Still getting it too, each time I pass either of them in the office.  Snickering...  Humming of the Star Wars theme...  Toy talk...  etc.

I think they've now figured out what all the packages are that arrive for me here at the office too, including one this morning...   :-\

ARGH!   >:(

Signed,
Very Embarrased in Sherman Oaks
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 06:54 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2004, 07:28 PM »
Like I told you, you need a cover story handy at all times! What the hell were you thinking? They're for your cousin, fool! Then you go into the office, box them up, and pretend you're leaving to mail them. You just wanted to be outted, didn't you?  ;)

Oh, sorry about that thin plastic bag, too. The whole incident is obviously my fault.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2004, 08:03 PM »
Like I told you, you need a cover story handy at all times! What the hell were you thinking? They're for your cousin, fool! Then you go into the office, box them up, and pretend you're leaving to mail them. You just wanted to be outted, didn't you?  ;)

Oh, I'm sorry, I don't have time to talk--I'm on my way to buy a speedboat.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2004, 11:45 PM »
what's the big deal, really? everyone i work with knows full well how obsessed i am, and they tear into me all the time, but do i care? no. it's all about finding out how to retaliate. and you know what's funny? the person who tears into me the most, now calls me from target - from the toy aisle - and asks me if i need anything they have on the shelves...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2004, 07:54 AM »
Most of my friends know I have issues and when they see all this crap they usually give me the big Woowwwww or Holy S*it.  But in technical terms it pretty much means Loser ;D