Author Topic: "Original" Orginal Trilogy on DVD!  (Read 47529 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Holy Trilogy on DVD!
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Has anyone watched these on a 16x9 TV yet? I know they're not anamorphic transfers, but for some reason, Sansweet insisted at Comic Con that they will still fit 16x9 TV's without bars on the sides. ??? I wanted to see if he was just blowing smoke.

I don't need to physically watch these to know that they would look like ass on my 16x9 TV.  They're non-anamorphic, so there's no way to get them to horizontally fill the screen without using some sort of zoom feature--which is most likely gonna make them look even worse.

Sansweet either didn't have any idea of what he was talking about, or he was, as you say, blowing smoke.  Probably both.  He was there for damage control and to sell product.  He's one of the last people I'd listen to when it comes to the quality of these "fun bonus features for the fans."
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2006, 12:26 PM »
My new 61 inch tv has a way to change the aspect of the picture to "fit " the screen.  It does this by stretching the image...basically, you can get the image to fit the screen, but it will be a little distorted.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2006, 10:10 AM »
I wouldn't be a fan of having to stretch **** to fit my TV screen. That's just not acceptable, really.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2006, 02:05 PM »
Has anyone gotten any discs with any defects yet? My Star Wars has a blip right after Tarkin says "Terminate her. Immediately!" (Chapter 27). Actually, there's quite a noticeable sound anomaly concurrent with the visual hiccup. If they're all like that, obviously I won't return it. But I'd kind of like to know if I got a bad one?

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2006, 03:44 PM »
I may be wrong but I think that "blip" is the disc transition to the second layer. It is a little distracting, you'd think they could put it in a less noticeable scene.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2006, 04:14 PM »
I may be wrong but I think that "blip" is the disc transition to the second layer. It is a little distracting, you'd think they could put it in a less noticeable scene.

That's what someone said on RS. And it sure is distracting. :(

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2006, 02:49 PM »
I had another "unofficial" official conformation that the anamorphic, cleaned up versions of the unaltered films are in the works. The Fox Exec who shared the info with one of my contacts called the Star Wars titles "Evergreens," meaning that they can release slightly different versions constantly and they will still sell. No word on when they will be released, but they will be.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
Re: "Original" Orginal Trilogy on DVD!
« Reply #172 on: October 9, 2006, 02:11 AM »
I found an error. Finally got around to watching "Jedi" and there are some blue dots on the screen, doesn't look like pixillation, about an hour into it. I was just hunting around to see if it's reported anywhere else, and so far, I haven't found any reference to it. I guess I'll be swapping it out for a new one.
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: "Original" Orginal Trilogy on DVD!
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2006, 08:28 PM »
Honestly, I think these things look fine. I'm  not a tech-head and really don't ever care about having up-to-the-minute gizmos in my house.  Anyway, these look more like movies to me than the 2004 DVDs did.  The thing is, if you actually saw SW in 1977, the prints were always run down and a but washed out.  The movie played for months at a time, and they wore out.  My memeories of ANH are that it was always faded and dirty...like it was from another galaxy and another time.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com