Multimedia > The Prequel Trilogy

The biggest "missed moment" of the prequels:

<< < (6/7) > >>

Jesse James:
The Z-95's actually Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the X-Wing, which was adapted by West End Games as an "ancient" fighter in the galaxy that was used by the Alliance prior to the X-Wing, and even after (well after in other EU) due to its reliability, mass production, and customizability.  Many sources listed it as a CW era fighter or older then.

P-Siddy:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on November  6, 2012, 02:57 PM ---The Z-95's actually Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the X-Wing,

--- End quote ---

Even better reason to like it.  Thanks for the info, Jesse.

Nicklab:
I definitely agree on the Y-Wing.  The backstory on that fighter had established that it was an older model, and that link back to the end of the Clone Wars would have been a nice connection.  It's nice that the Clone Wars series had the opportunity to correct that discrepancy, but a movie appearance would have been far cooler.

As for the ARC-170?  It's design definitely shows a common lineage with the X-Wing.  But I think that we saw something interesting in ROTS when the ARC-170's got taken out by the Droid Tri-Fighters.  The bigger design wasn't necessarily better.  And perhaps it took the 20 years between REVENGE OF THE SITH and A NEW HOPE to make those leaps forward in design that led to the Z-95 and eventually the X-Wing.

Jesse James:
I've always disagreed with the lineage of the ARC and X-Wing...  The ARC had a somewhat similar shape, but I felt that the ship's obvious differences with teh X-Wing definitely implied ships for different purposes and such, regardless of what was written about it being a predecessor or whatnot.

It's like the AT-RT being linked to the AT-ST...  I always felt like both having two legs was as close as it got.  The ARC was sort of similar.  It struck me, if anything, as having a relation closer to the Y-Wing (but still fairly distant IMO) or a B-Wing perhaps.  The ARC didn't seem, at all, like a superiority fighter, whereas the X-Wing seemed to be the perfect superiority fighter balance.

It's one of those things I didn't like about the prequals though, and I just separate these vehicles ultimately.

Here's another I would've loved to have seen.  AT-PT...  That should've replaced the AT-RT ultimately, IMO.  Why they went with the RT and it's incredibly flawed design of a completely exposed driver, I'll never know.  What good would a vehicle like that do for you that a speederbike wouldn't do better, in every imaginable way?  I'll never know.

Mister Skeezler:
Agreed. I think the AT-RT is about as useful as a Segway scooter...and about as cool (which is to say, completely uncool).

I feel like the S-foils on the ARC fighter were added for no functional reason, other than to try to reference the X-Wing. I understand the bull**** excuse that the ARC fighter's S-foils are used in heat dissipation or something like that, but they really, really, really missed the mark in featuring an OT vehicle there, or at least something that seemed very similar.

Hell, I would have loved to see a B-Wing. I know that doesn't make sense from an EU perspective, but I would have gladly ignored that bit of EU to see a shiny, new squad of B-Wings on an assault run against the Separatist capital ships. It even would have added to the excitement of seeing it in ROTJ. Obviously I just love the B-Wing in general.

And these references to the rebel ships of the OT would have reinforced the idea that the rebels took a lot of old tech and adapted it for use against the Empire. That's one of the biggest "missed moments" of the prequels in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version