Author Topic: The biggest "missed moment" of the prequels:  (Read 21068 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
The biggest "missed moment" of the prequels:
« on: May 4, 2006, 10:46 AM »
. . .Not having Chewie rip some poor clone's arms out of his sockets.

I was watching the new trailer for Lego Star Wars II, and Chewie's special attack is ripping arms from sockets, as one stormtrooper unfortunately discovers first-hand.

How cool would that have been in the movie?  Could have been a nice little moment of levity, done right around the scene where Yoda takes off, and it would have been another tie-in to the original trilogy, as George loves to do so much.  And it would have been right up there with Yoda whipping out his saber in Clones, as one of the biggest "fans go crazy" moments of the whole trilogy.

The largest missed opportunity in a series of missed opportunities.  Oh well.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest "missed moment" of the prequels:
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Haha, that trailer was kind of funny.

I'm surprised they showed 2 lego minifigures making out...i thought those toys were directed towards kids! :o

;)
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:50 PM »
I thought for sure Lucas was going to either have Chewbacca or another wookie rip a battle droid's arm out of it's socket in ROTS.  Instead we get the Tarzan yell again :(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2006, 02:08 PM »
I think the fact we never saw Qui-Gon's ghost.  How cool would it have been if he appeared to Anakin just before he wiped out all the Jedi at the Temple or perhaps just before running into the office to save Palpatine?

And the Lego Star Wars II trailer is pretty sweet!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2006, 03:20 PM »
The PT Holiday Special. :P
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 05:35 PM »
I'd say an extended Order 66 scene featuring Luminara, and Barris Offee's deaths, and maybe even a longer scene featuring the march on the Jedi Temple.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:07 PM »
I would have liked to see the "capture" of Palpatine by the Separatists.  The Clone WArs Animated series showed this - think of how cool those scenese would have been with live action!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I think the fact we never saw Qui-Gon's ghost.  How cool would it have been if he appeared to Anakin just before he wiped out all the Jedi at the Temple or perhaps just before running into the office to save Palpatine?

This
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 09:49 PM »
Not sure why I was thinking of this thread earlier today but I came up with something that seemed relevent here...

If the original intent during the OT was to make the universe look "Lived in" or "used" or whatever the term was, then it would have been great to see some of the Vehicles that the Rebels/Alliance used in the OT being used by the Republic or even Confederacy in the PT.

Growing up I assumed there were decades between the Clone Wars and "Star Wars" not just 16 or so. 

I am thinking Y Wings, X Wings, etc...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 02:05 AM »
X-Wings in the EU always got the "they're new" kind of treatment, but I totally agree on Y-Wings...  YW's were always a CW era ship that found its way, stripped to the bones, to the Alliance.  While the cartoon tried to squeeze them into the CW, the films didn't, and I think Lucas **** the bed on that.

And the ARC-170 is anything but an X-WIng predecessor...  Z-95's though?  Again, another moment where Lucas could've given a fan wank with that ship, and to the EU, and to Ralph McQuarrie.  They too may be sneaking into the CW series, but it's not the same as showing them in the PT...

INstead, 100% new designs like Jedi Fighters and the V-Wing.  *shrugs*
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2011, 02:51 PM »
I think the biggest missed opportunities of the prequels were the opportunities to explain things. Instead of showing us senate hearings why not show us a jedi going through the trials of knighthood? They are mentioned but never explained. Explain the prophecy of the chosen one. Give us a firm answer about Anakin's birth rather than some vague Christ metaphor that may or may not have involved Palpatine. Explain why it makes sense to leave the two potentially most powerful force sensitive children with caretakers who could neither train them or steer them clear of the dark side. I shouldn't have to check wookiepedia or read a novel to know these things. Most of them are (or should be) major plot points.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:45 PM by Lestat »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2012, 03:52 AM »
X-Wings in the EU always got the "they're new" kind of treatment, but I totally agree on Y-Wings...  YW's were always a CW era ship that found its way, stripped to the bones, to the Alliance.  While the cartoon tried to squeeze them into the CW, the films didn't, and I think Lucas **** the bed on that.

And the ARC-170 is anything but an X-WIng predecessor...  Z-95's though?  Again, another moment where Lucas could've given a fan wank with that ship, and to the EU, and to Ralph McQuarrie.  They too may be sneaking into the CW series, but it's not the same as showing them in the PT...

INstead, 100% new designs like Jedi Fighters and the V-Wing.  *shrugs*

Dusting off this thread just a bit...

I really agree with this as well. I'd really have like to see the ship designs from the CW era tie in A LOT closer with the OT. Don't get me wrong, for the most part they are all cool designs, I just don't find them particularly logical for the timeframe.

The Republic had been around for what 20000 years or so? That is a hell of a long time for a spacefaring culture to be around. At some point they had to have come to a technological plateau. I'd think that they'd likely keep the same designs for much longer than the 20 year gap between ROTS and Star Wars. Hell even between AOTC and ROTS ship designs change drastically. By today's standards we tend to keep fighter aircraft in service for 20-30 years at least. The F-16 was debuted in the late 70s and it is still in active service and production today. Considering how much technology has changed since the 1970s, that is really saying something about the longevity of our modern fighter aircraft. There is no way that in the Star Wars universe spacecraft would be phased out service faster than we phase out our fighters today. 
"This is the way."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: February 5, 2012, 03:12 PM »
I agree, and I think the technological plateau would have been something of a motivator for some of the varied interests in the Clone Wars in terms of using the war as a means to push innovation.  Some of it is backwards.  The Vulture Droid for instance - far more advanced than anything in the OT, but missing in those films - wouldn't the Rebels have been digging these things out of storage?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Well there was a bias against droids in the galaxy. R2 and 3po weren't let into the cantina. Maybe the bias came from various droid invasions. Smart droids were really looked down on.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 09:32 AM »
I agree, and I think the technological plateau would have been something of a motivator for some of the varied interests in the Clone Wars in terms of using the war as a means to push innovation.  Some of it is backwards.  The Vulture Droid for instance - far more advanced than anything in the OT, but missing in those films - wouldn't the Rebels have been digging these things out of storage?

I got the impression that these things were crazy expensive and not all that smart without a control ship.  The rebellion had money, but I don't think they had that kind of money or any real manufacturing capabilities outside of the shipyards around Dac.

I agree on the ships.  Every time someone does a prequel (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) they seem to want to spice up the tech to be even better than what clearly comes after it.  I don't get it.  You could have some awesome space battles with headhunters and Y-Wings instead of these brand new ships.  Likewise, I wish they had focused more on OTC aliens than all the new ones they created.  I'd much rather see more Rodians, Ithorians, Trandoshans, Dresellions, etc. in the background or even as main characters.  Imagine Maul as a Trandoshan.

I also like Lestat's idea of showing more background on big issues.  I'd much rather see Jedi trials or better understand how they find and train Jedi versus a 30 minute pod race or vast tour of the Gungan underwater city.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today