Author Topic: The biggest "missed moment" of the prequels:  (Read 21036 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest "missed moment" of the prequels:
« Reply #15 on: July 4, 2012, 06:11 PM »
I regard this as more of a general story issue, rather than a single missed moment.  Simply because it seemed that the story of Attack of the Clones may not have been that set in stone when The Phantom Menace was in production.

I think the overall story of the decline of the Jedi might have been better served had Christopher Lee been cast as Jedi Master Dooku in Episode I.  And having Dooku on the Jedi Council in that film might have given his storyline more gravitas moving forward through the PT.  Exchanges between him, Yoda, Mace Windu and Qui-Gon Jinn in those Jedi Council scenes could have shed more light on Anakin Skywalker's future, as well as that of the Jedi.  This in turn, could have made his standing in Episode II have far greater weight, and also given his treachery that much more impact.  However, I think Lucas simply was not thinking that far in advance.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 5, 2012, 09:23 AM »
Better yet. Replace Quigon with Dooku in TPM. In that case you have the master (Dooku) betraying the apprentance (Obiwan). Later, you have the apprentace (Anakin) betraying the master (Obiwan).
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 7, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Better yet. Replace Quigon with Dooku in TPM. In that case you have the master (Dooku) betraying the apprentance (Obiwan). Later, you have the apprentace (Anakin) betraying the master (Obiwan).

Hmmm.  I don't think that would work as well.  That would just seem a little too neat and tidy.

Also, even if it was brief, Qui-Gon did serve as a sort of father figure to Anakin in Episode I.  And the recurring theme with Anakin's PT story arc is loss.  First he has to leave home in order to join the Jedi Order.  And then he loses his father figure, Qui-Gon Jinn.

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 9, 2012, 11:45 AM »
I believe Qui-Gon was a complete waste of a jedi. It would have been better if he just went bad and became the Dooku character. He was already on the way to being bad by using his force powers to control minds. Would obiwan go against the jedi council with a "hell you say, I'm training the boy anyway" attitude? Would obiwan try to manipulate Watto for a cheap engine? Lucas should have just used Dooku or Qui-Gon but not both.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: July 9, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Part of me wonders if that wasn't in the cards at one point in Lucas' mind...  What with him being "willful" and not listening to the council and all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Ditto on being disappointed that the Y-Wing wasn't the cat's meow in the prequels... I guess that wouldn't sell as many toys, though.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 02:33 PM »
I would have preferred the Y-Wing in ROTS to the ARC fighters. They all seemed like heavy bomber-type craft, so why not just use the Y-Wing? I felt like the ARC was kind of a ****** design.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2012, 09:01 PM »
I don't mind the ARC, but I view it as a wholely separate design and designation as far as fighters go...  the fact they skipped over Y-Wings and Z-95's will, forever, be a ****** move on LFL's part.

I personally found JSF's a bit of a joke too...  poor designs, the whole "hyperspace ring" thing was a letdown.

I will say I really liked the Torrent fighters which, again, weren't in the movies.  Good design.  Unique and fun.  No HD makes them like a TIE Fighter...  Play on that.  Make JSF's bigger and more self-sufficient type fighters (like an X-Wing).  the little tiny design was meh.  Have the ROTS one then as a bridge to TIE Fighters, and move on from there.

The ARC-170, I don't mind the design, I just look at it as a ship in its own class, and felt it was a silly ship to be flanking 2 JSF's in ROTS's opening.  Y-Wings and Z95's would've been so great.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Oh man...Y-Wings and Z-95s would have been ******* epic.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 6, 2012, 12:43 PM »
+2.

I know they came from video games but at least they look like the predecessor to the X and Y-wings.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: November 6, 2012, 02:57 PM »
The Z-95's actually Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the X-Wing, which was adapted by West End Games as an "ancient" fighter in the galaxy that was used by the Alliance prior to the X-Wing, and even after (well after in other EU) due to its reliability, mass production, and customizability.  Many sources listed it as a CW era fighter or older then.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 6, 2012, 02:58 PM »
The Z-95's actually Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the X-Wing,

Even better reason to like it.  Thanks for the info, Jesse.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2012, 02:58 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 6, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I definitely agree on the Y-Wing.  The backstory on that fighter had established that it was an older model, and that link back to the end of the Clone Wars would have been a nice connection.  It's nice that the Clone Wars series had the opportunity to correct that discrepancy, but a movie appearance would have been far cooler.

As for the ARC-170?  It's design definitely shows a common lineage with the X-Wing.  But I think that we saw something interesting in ROTS when the ARC-170's got taken out by the Droid Tri-Fighters.  The bigger design wasn't necessarily better.  And perhaps it took the 20 years between REVENGE OF THE SITH and A NEW HOPE to make those leaps forward in design that led to the Z-95 and eventually the X-Wing.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: November 7, 2012, 12:32 AM »
I've always disagreed with the lineage of the ARC and X-Wing...  The ARC had a somewhat similar shape, but I felt that the ship's obvious differences with teh X-Wing definitely implied ships for different purposes and such, regardless of what was written about it being a predecessor or whatnot.

It's like the AT-RT being linked to the AT-ST...  I always felt like both having two legs was as close as it got.  The ARC was sort of similar.  It struck me, if anything, as having a relation closer to the Y-Wing (but still fairly distant IMO) or a B-Wing perhaps.  The ARC didn't seem, at all, like a superiority fighter, whereas the X-Wing seemed to be the perfect superiority fighter balance.

It's one of those things I didn't like about the prequals though, and I just separate these vehicles ultimately.

Here's another I would've loved to have seen.  AT-PT...  That should've replaced the AT-RT ultimately, IMO.  Why they went with the RT and it's incredibly flawed design of a completely exposed driver, I'll never know.  What good would a vehicle like that do for you that a speederbike wouldn't do better, in every imaginable way?  I'll never know.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 8, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Agreed. I think the AT-RT is about as useful as a Segway scooter...and about as cool (which is to say, completely uncool).

I feel like the S-foils on the ARC fighter were added for no functional reason, other than to try to reference the X-Wing. I understand the bull**** excuse that the ARC fighter's S-foils are used in heat dissipation or something like that, but they really, really, really missed the mark in featuring an OT vehicle there, or at least something that seemed very similar.

Hell, I would have loved to see a B-Wing. I know that doesn't make sense from an EU perspective, but I would have gladly ignored that bit of EU to see a shiny, new squad of B-Wings on an assault run against the Separatist capital ships. It even would have added to the excitement of seeing it in ROTJ. Obviously I just love the B-Wing in general.

And these references to the rebel ships of the OT would have reinforced the idea that the rebels took a lot of old tech and adapted it for use against the Empire. That's one of the biggest "missed moments" of the prequels in my opinion.