Author Topic: 2006 Vintage Saga Collection (vTSC)  (Read 134884 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2006 vOTC (or vTSC) - now with pics!
« Reply #405 on: April 8, 2006, 05:39 AM »
Re: Greedo

The thing that gets me is--look how good that 1999 sculpt is compared to the new version:

pic

The head on the new one may be a tad more accurate, and the new belt/holster is obviously better than the old one, and of course the articulation is better, but that old vest is better than the new vest in every possible way (and I usually like soft goods stuff). 

It reminds me of the 2004 Saga Bossk vs. the 1997 POTF2 Bossk issue--other than some articulation, there were really no discernable differences between the two. 

I don't think I'll ever understand why The Big H decided to re-do Greedo in this set, when there were at least ten or twenty other figures that they could have gone with instead.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 8, 2006, 05:43 AM »
My favorite hands down is the Tusken. I know that more people will like and probably want the Biker Scout, but I just love everything on the Tusken! Finally one that makes sense! Cannot wait to do a couple of diaramha's showing the Anakin scene in Ep. II as he emerges from the hut where Shimi has just died; and also a scene with Tusken's shooting in Ep. I AND the Ep. IV scene with Luke and the Tusken!
Guess I need to find my Bantha and see how these look next to that.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2006, 05:43 AM by TheBlackDog65 »
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 8, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Colossal piece of ****?  ??? I guess he looks kind of funny because of his articulation- the ball shoulders aren't well-hidden, and the torso sculpting does suffer for having a swivel waist... but that brings up the question of which you prefer, sculpting or articulation. Me, the articulation doesn't really ruin his sculpting so it's kinda cool.

I guess with the two Hans out there, they cater to both sides of the argument. Then again, if you just want good sculpting we have the normal Saga line for that; Carbonite Han's sculptwork exceeds both VOTC/VTSC figures IMO, but his articulation is dull and very 1999ish.

I totally want posability so long as it isn't rendered ridiculously (eg GI Joe, bleah). I guess I was just stunned that he looks so much less nice than VOTC Han, especially since he's almost an exact copy. ??? The legs are entirely reused, aren't they? Maybe mine just look bad because they're so awfully loose. They're all contorted. And I'm not sure I'm going to like the ball torsos on humans... They're great on troopers, but Han's looks bad to me. And my VTSC Luke's is a tad loose. Anyway, this Han is in awful shape. I'm going to take it back for replacement. I'll definitely give the fig another chance; hopefully I'll get a good one and discover that most of my disgust was due only to a bad production example.

In other news, I keep fretting over a wee paint chip on Luke's neck... ::)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 8, 2006, 10:31 AM »
The Tusken is awesome. I wish these were priced along with the regular figures. I'll probbaly end up getting a few more Tuskens anyway.  :-\
I remember my dream now.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 8, 2006, 10:33 AM »
The Tusken is awesome. I wish these were priced along with the regular figures. I'll probbaly end up getting a few more Tuskens anyway.  :-\

I might get a second. Three bikers would be cool.

I really love Greedo. :) I like the OTC plastic vest on him, but I keep posing him with no vest. He looks damn nice without it. Love that holster, too.

Just tried the Greedo jacket swap as well, Ook. I'm now actually happy with Greedo!

Great! :)
« Last Edit: April 8, 2006, 02:07 PM by Ook »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 8, 2006, 09:03 PM »
After popping open my set, I have to say I'm both more impressed and a tad disappointed.

Biker Scout, surpasses all expectations. I can't say enough about it.

Greedo, vest aside, is perfect.

Tuscan Raider, still exploring the figure, but it's a little better than I thought it would be.

Luke, actually looks much better in person than in pictures. As others have said, the stance is a bit weird, but I can live with it. What's with the blaster not fitting the hand BTW?

Han in the most disappointing figure in the bunch in my opinion. Same head sculpt, legs, holster and hands (modified for this sculpt) as the first VOTC and his shirt sculpt doesn't quite capture Han's look in ROTJ.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 9, 2006, 09:39 AM »
Biker Scout, surpasses all expectations. I can't say enough about it.

Yes! ;D

Greedo, vest aside, is perfect.

Yes! ;D

(BTW, has everyone noticed he has ball-jointed ankles? I had no idea from the pics. They're completely invisible!)

Luke, actually looks much better in person than in pictures. As others have said, the stance is a bit weird, but I can live with it. What's with the blaster not fitting the hand BTW?

I was just playing with Luke, and I'm really appreciating the figure now. I've thought the body/suit sculpt was akward... Something about the joints and sculpting of the suit? He's a great fig, though. I think he'll take VOTC Tatooine Luke's place in my set-up. Never cared for the giant fabric shirt. Yeah, I noticed his gun not fitting right. Would've been nice to have a holster. What's the deal with giving him Vader's saber hilt? ??? Have they even scultpted the Anakin/Luke blue saber hilt (with or without belt peg)? I don't think they have. Maybe that explains it... ???

Han in the most disappointing figure in the bunch in my opinion. Same head sculpt, legs, holster and hands (modified for this sculpt) as the first VOTC and his shirt sculpt doesn't quite capture Han's look in ROTJ.

You may have noticed my comments on this guy. My biggest disappointment too. I dunno... I think the legs on mine are crippled. I'm taking him back for another and if that sucks too, that'll be the end of General Solo.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2006, 10:13 AM by Ook »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 9, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Now that I have a few Biker Scouts, I have to admit I want at least a dozen more of the Biker Scout.  It's just unreal how well they made this figure.

Greedo - I agree that the old one has a great sculpt, but I love the articulation this one has.  It's worth VOTC price to get one like this to me, but I'll still swap out the old vest on this one.

Tusken - Each time I see a new pic of it, it looks better.  I am sure I will want about 8-10 of him.

Han - 3-4 of them and I'll be happy.

Luke - Again, probably 3-4 of them.

:)

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 9, 2006, 07:28 PM »
I got a second biker today, and his soft rubber belt is busted in back. Can't decide if I should bother exchanging it. Man, Hasbro had really better step up the quality control if they're going to continue to market $5-7 figures for $10-13. The first Han I got was paralyzed from the waist down. I found a decent one today, so I'll be keeping Solo. I also grabbed a second Luke to see if I could find one without the little paint flaws mine has. This one's head sits WAY lower on the neck than my first one. ??? And when I bent the elbows, the effing hands came right off! I think between the two I've found a decent Luke. I'll return all the ****** pieces in one convenient package. :P

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #414 on: April 9, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Silly question that may have been answered, but I'd rather not go through 28 pages on the topic to find the answer. With Target selling the VTSC at $11.99, do we know what Walmart or TRU will be selling them for? If I recall correctly, when TSC started to appear in late December, it was Target who had the highest price, I'm wondering if that's the case here...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #415 on: April 9, 2006, 09:21 PM »
A report a while back said they were in the Wal-Mart computer system for $10.96 or something like that. 

Not sure on TRU, but I guess they'd be in a similar $12 range as Target (maybe even as high as $13).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Kill_Solo

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 10, 2006, 01:36 AM »
I've seen the whole set of VTSC a couple of times (at TArget), but I've only picked up the Scout Troopers because I am waiting for my case from Newforce. The Scout Trooper is a figure from my Star Wars action figure dreams. It is so awesome I feel bad for the collectors in my area, because if I run across any, I'm going to buy them all. (I missed the boat for the VOTC Stormtroopers and I'm still pissed about that.)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 10, 2006, 01:48 AM »

Different head sculpts.  Although I'd say I kind of wish they'd have just used the first head-sculpt in this instance, it looks better IMO.  With the coat on I'd say that the Han is my second favorite of the bunch.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 10, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Once again, great pics of the VTSC X-Wing Luke there Jared.  Looks quite nice.  That group shot of all the pilots together kind of makes me want a resculpted Biggs.  Granted, I missed the first one anyways, but looking at this fellow pilots next to him, it looks like he could handle an upgrade.  Great pics.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 10, 2006, 05:10 PM »
I just saw all of this wave at Target. I picked up a Biker Scout, and will probably pick up a Greedo later. The Scout is excellent, it is even better than the Evo Sandtrooper!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 05:23 PM by HunterofThePegs »