Author Topic: 2006 Vintage Saga Collection (vTSC)  (Read 133527 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2006 vOTC (or vTSC) - now with pics!
« Reply #135 on: February 7, 2006, 12:04 PM »
I was thinking since this is a non-movie year, are these really gonna stay at the $10 pricepoint or are we going to get bent over these?  ???

They are listed in the Target computer at $12, so I'd expect TRU to be the same and Wal-Mart to be back around $10-11 if the pattern on the regular figures holds.

Thanks Jayson for that pic, easier to see that way that at least Han is partially different.  His shirt is defintely differnt and his arms must be too because his shirt sleevs come down farther on this new one than the old one too.

Sure hope that he has the correct brown pants on under that coat.  I know some of you don't like Han that much for his coat, but he is a 1000% improvement over the last few Endor Hans that we got (PotF2 and Saga).  Plus, I am a total Han junkie, so any new Han that is not based on the 1999 Cantina sculpt is gold to me!   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 7, 2006, 12:08 PM »
My expectation for Han is that he'll look better once released from his plastic prison.  I think it's hard for soft goods to look as good on the card as they do when loose.  Hopefully this holds true for the Tusken as well.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 7, 2006, 12:31 PM »
Well, I don't really have a problem with Greedo being made... but if he warmed pegs at $5.00 each, I'm sure one more than twice that price won't be an easy sell.  Probably the figure of the bunch that you'll see on clearance the most.

Woudl I have replaced Greedo with a different character?  Yes, no doubt.  I'd rather have seen a Death Star Trooper, or even an Emperor.  Or even a ROTJ Endor Leia (one figure that's really needs to be remade).

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 7, 2006, 12:36 PM »
Whoops, missed a busy day of posting.  

- US exclusive, what a shock.

- Luke's ok, helmet suffers from MR disease as Scott indicated, head seems small

- Han's coat doesn't impress really, hope there's a functional holster

- Greedo's vest never was cloth, why is it now? :-\

- Biker Scout makes me nervous, looks ok, head's a bit small, kinda worried about the blaster from that pic, it looks wrong

- Tusken looks interesting, cloak sucks, but maybe with some trimming....

Ordered a case to cover my ass and then I'll go around town pissing people off by buying Tusken/Bikers. :P

Well, I don't really have a problem with Greedo being made... but if he warmed pegs at $5.00 each, I'm sure one more than twice that price won't be an easy sell. Probably the figure of the bunch that you'll see on clearance the most.

Woudl I have replaced Greedo with a different character? Yes, no doubt. I'd rather have seen a Death Star Trooper, or even an Emperor. Or even a ROTJ Endor Leia (one figure that's really needs to be remade).

Agreed, Greedo is the Kenobi of the series.  They really should have rounded out the original twelve to finish them off.  An SA Jawa would be a lot of fun and a really well done DS commander would have been an awesome army builder. 

Frankly they should give this whole treatment to a wave that includes figures that could be used for army building, so there'd be no dregs clogging the pegs:
Jawa
DS Commander
Snowtrooper
Rebel Fleet Trooper - do it well and it will sell
Death Star Trooper
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 7, 2006, 12:57 PM »
Frankly they should give this whole treatment to a wave that includes figures that could be used for army building, so there'd be no dregs clogging the pegs:
Jawa
DS Commander
Snowtrooper
Rebel Fleet Trooper - do it well and it will sell
Death Star Trooper

I couldn't agree more about wanting SA versions of these army builders (especially the Jawa, that would be so much fun).  But for those that do army build, I can understand preferring them to appear on the regular TSC cards instead of the more expensive VTSC cards.

To be truly devil's advocate, perhaps Hasbro is cutting back on some of the articulation in the regular figures (such as knee articulation) so that they can justify the higher priced VTSC figures?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 7, 2006, 01:01 PM »
Rebel Fleet Trooper - I agree, do it well and it will sell!  I'm wondering, isn't there some sort of Yavin trooper scheduled for late 2006 already? I wonder how similar it will be to the Fleet Trooper, or if it's an easy custom to make it look like the one we want them to make.

As for all army builders, it would be nice, but so expensive.  I'd like to see them on regular cards with nice articulation, and some sort of 3-pks like discussed in the Unleashed thread.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #141 on: February 7, 2006, 01:26 PM »

The Tusken is the only one I'm really excited about. He looks wicked awesome, except for the overly puffy cloak, as everyone already mentioned. Still, it's only one carded shot so I'm withholding judgment on the figure. Hopefully he'll look better in person. And if he doesn't, perhaps I can remove the softgoods and stick him in a plastic Jedi robe or something.

Greedo I will probably get, because I don't have any of the previous versions.

The Biker Scout is a "maybe" for me ... I doubt I'll ever actually see him on the pegs, but I won't go crazy if I can't find him.

The others I'm leaving behind.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2006, 01:35 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #142 on: February 7, 2006, 01:32 PM »

- Biker Scout makes me nervous, looks ok, head's a bit small, kinda worried about the blaster from that pic, it looks wrong

I think we are seeing a top view of the pistol… which kind of distorts the look of it. So, I think were ok on that.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2006, 01:32 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 7, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Can anyone confirm that Greedo wore a holster belt in the film?  None of the previous versions had him in that kind of belt.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 7, 2006, 08:16 PM »
I don't know if he did or not, but it's a nice addition I think.  If you don't like it, I'm pretty sure it would be easy to remove.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #145 on: February 7, 2006, 10:06 PM »
The other Rodians in the scene with Jabba in docking bay 94 wore the same gun belt as Han, so I don't see a problem with that.

I like that the tusken raider comes with a gun and a gaffi stick.  Also, if you look closelly at the Tusken, he's weaing more of a cape that has sleeves than a cloak.  This one will look good out of the package.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: February 8, 2006, 01:52 AM »
I think production shots of Greedo show no holster but you also don't see him in the film from the waist down to know or not...  I dig the holster so I'm ok with it.  I think the lack of it in production shots would be because it wasn't necessary for the shot so it was just cut out....  Kinda like his footwear.

I can buy that he had it though, and accept that.

What's funny is Dr. Evazan is seen drawing his gun from a holster but neither he nor Ponda have a friggin' holster.  Those are two I'd actually like redone modern style.

On the issue of SA army builders I obviously am all for that, and I'm all for it at a cheaper price...  I'm just concerned that if it was done at the $6 price we'd get a 10 points of articulation figure at best.  :(  I don't like the thought of building armies with $10-per figures though, not by a long shot.  Didn't really "like" it with the VOTC Stormie as much as I loved the figure...

If Hasbro would just offer these in white mailer boxes somewhere for a GOOD price (IE: Not Entertainment Earth's Clone army builder sets with their unnecessarilly spiffy packaging), then I'd be all for it...  Even if first released as $10 VOTC figures or whatever.

And I'd add to the list a Hoth Rebel Soldier too...  I'd replace the Jawa with this actually.  I love Jawas, I want drunk ones for outside my Cantina, but I don't want Super Articluated Jawas really bad.   ;D  I would rather have the Hoth Rebel Soldier (in all white uniform, not the brown vested vintage guy) done, and done right with super articulation or damn close to it.  Jawas just would be lower on my wish list is all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #147 on: February 8, 2006, 01:57 AM »
I think Hasbro may burn out collectors by targeting certain figs for this $10 treatment.  I'm one of them.  What difference is there, beyond packaging, between the #41 clone and the Scout Trooper?  Do I want or need $5 more in packaging for a fig I'm going to open 20 of?  Of course they don't care, but now is not the time to start gouging collectors for all they're worth.

SilverZ

« Reply #148 on: February 8, 2006, 02:43 AM »
Honestly there's a part of me that would prefer a line of SA figures at $12 a fig, focused on 12-16 figure per year, where quality and detail were guaranteed, over a $6 a fig line of 80 mish-mashes with a dozen or so sorta-winners. I think I'll be more burned out on the current pace of the standard TSC than to these. There's something appealing about knowing that these 5 figures should ship for some time, and should dry up before another wave presumably hits in fall.

But like we've discussed in the past, the packaging is overkill and doesn't justify the price. They should trim it down to 8.99 or 9.99 tops. I really wonder how these will do at retail in a non movie year or without a video release to back them up.

Greedo makes me wonder about where this line will head -  niche characters had better be something incredibly special to survive being mixed in with core characters and army builders, and he's not up to par, I think. I think there's a very, very limited number of secondary character that will keep pace sales-wise with Hans, Lukes, and Stormtroopers. I mean, maybe Jawas, a Gamorrean Guard?

I want to see them round out the original 12, for sure, then I'd like to see some more ESB figures - Hoth Han, Bespin Luke, and a Snowtrooper being the key ones for me. But those, again, are core characters which I think can move at the higher price. I just worry that the secondaries is risky territory for the line.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #149 on: February 8, 2006, 04:58 AM »
The viability of secondary characters is why I think this move towards a higher price point is worrying (for folks on a budget, like me anyways).  If Hasbro is going to reserve core characters and SA sculpts for this line, what comes of the basic line?  If the basic line becomes solely the domain of secondary and obscure characters (and the repacks) then it's really only a glorified Collection 2, and we know already what retail thinks of that.  And since Hasbro knows we'll pay up to $13 for a single figure, I feel like the line is being pulled in a more expensive direction.