Author Topic: Women's Day Magazine - Star Wars Playsets  (Read 4952 times)

Offline Phalanxx

• Jedi Initiate
  • I aim to misbehave
    • View Profile
    • Phalanxx Designs
Women's Day Magazine - Star Wars Playsets
« on: May 6, 2006, 11:32 PM »
Back in the late 70's Women's Day Magazine published a couple of Star Wars related articles for parents and children.  These articles include playset projects that could be made fairly easily so that kids would have places to play with their figures.

I had seen the space station playset before and I remember someone recently making an updated verion of it but I hadn't seen the Hoth and Dagobah playsets before.  They look pretty neat for being designed back in the 70's.  Check them out.

Outer Space Station Playset

Hoth & Dagobah Playset

edit - just stopped by to fix the link... Jeff
« Last Edit: May 7, 2006, 12:11 AM by Jeff »
Visit www.phalanxxdesigns.com - Custom Figures and Cardbacks.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Women's Day Magazine - Star Wars Playsets
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2006, 12:16 AM »
Forum member Deanpaul recently completed an amazing update of the Space Station, here is the link in case you are interested. :)
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2006, 12:17 AM »
Thanks for posting those.  That is really cool.  I know that we've recently done Dioramas but this would be a fun group project.  Pick one of these and make it :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2006, 09:50 PM »
That would make for a cool project...

:)

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2006, 10:14 PM »
Really TERRIFIC job!  Bravo!  A huge diorama, one you could use for almost any "Star Wars" environment.

It's amazing how those large circular windows (holes?) make it look so alien and otherworldly.

Well done.  This is brilliantly executed.
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2006, 03:32 PM »
OMG!!! I remember those pictures. I wanted these so bad. Are there any instructions on how to make them? I dont remember there being any back in the day. Which is one of the main reasons Mom wouldnt make it.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2006, 04:37 PM »
The issue in question, which bears the date November 20, 1978, devotes a mere four pages to the toy, includes only smallish photos and has no instructions whatsoever. In order to receive the instructions for building the playset, readers were required to clip out a coupon from the back pages of the magazine and mail it to Woman's Day along with $1.00. A black-and-white pamphlet was then sent to the reader, which folded out to reveal detailed directions and diagrams. Collectors take note: Both the November 20 issue of Woman's Day and the mail-away instructions are fairly tough finds, with the latter item being downright rare.

bummer eh?