Author Topic: Rise of the Empire carries on!  (Read 39661 times)

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
Re: Outrider's Customs
« Reply #15 on: May 7, 2006, 10:20 PM »
I try to stay away from OTC figures, but your designs and paint work would make it very hard, when confronted at retail. An excellent job. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 05:09 AM »
Hey Outrider, nice work man and welcome aboard to JediDefender.com...  it's nice to see you post over here.

I like your Rise of the Empire series...  While I don't necesarilly agree with the "style" being true to my impressions of the films, I think they're still outstanding customs.  Good parts mixing, great painting, excellent accessory improvising...  You really excel at a variety of aspects of customizing, not just one or two...  That's some serious talent going.  Even the ability to hollow out hats/helmets and things seems to be a skill you've mastered.

One of the ones I find most interesting is the Detention Officer you made using Capt. Antilles' head.  That is a great paintjob, very realistic, and it completely obscured the head for me...  I had absolutely no clue and thought it was a GI Joe head actually.

What's your method for making web gear and Y-harnesses and such for your troops?  What's the material?  Is it removable on all of them like the belt/holster on a few figures, or are some of them glued down?  I like that a lot and it's something I always consider improvising into my figures...  It's very "in-scale" and realistic too, not bulky or oversized, so you really have a unique look with those accessories there.

The painting to de-age characters like Ozzel is really nicely done.  Simple, but effective...  Also the camo's are really detailed.  I see modern camo patterns mixed in with WW2 German Pea-dot and things...  I see a sort of base in military history on your customs.  Is that what you go for?  Like Ozzel's mustard pants, black top, and of course the striking armband...  Definitely Nazi undertones in that uniform's paint design.

Very nice work man...  Looks really cool, and I'm glad you're here at JD.  Feel free to branch out into the rest of the forums and look around man, join in.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
  • Objection your honor! The pod race was pretty cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 03:57 PM »
Hey man! Nice to see you here. It's kind of weird calling you by your different handles, though, so I'm gonna keep using "s1j" if ya don't mind, lol. I'm digging the new officer alot. You're going to have to make a tutorial on how to make those little faux leather holsters!
-Matthew H.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I seem to remember the name but I dont get over to the Scum very often anymore.

Your work is excellent though. I'm really liking the Rise of the Empire series youve got here. The camo peices are top notch. My favorite of the bunch is the cadet Solo. I recognise some of the parts, but where did that torso come from? I'd like to make one of these myself.

Excellent work, I look forward to seeing more of these. Welcome aboard.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Hey Paul!

Glad to see you make it over to JD.com!  It's a great group of guys here, you'll fit right in  :)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Outrider

• Jedi Initiate
  • IMPS RULE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 10:37 PM »
To all,

Guys, (and gals if applicable) I'm totally blown away by your kind comments.  Thanks so much for the worm reception and positive feedback.  I'm thrilled to be here.  I've heard so many great things about this site and I can honestly say that they're all true. 

I'll try to answer all of your questions so here it goes,

Jesse James -

you asked about the harnesses and belts that I make for the figures.   Basically I cut thin ribbons of my sons old Power Rangers costume into 3/16 inch strips.  The material is similar to vinyl -basically Halloween custume sheet plastic.  Its very rugged, cuts very well, and paints flawlessly. 

The y harness is nothing more than a staple bent into a triangle with strips of that vinyl material carefully folded and secured to the staple surface.  Its a bit tricky and ya can't rush this.  I paint all of the straps brown first, both sides.  Then I sharpie both sides black, then paint them black with HOBBY SCALE brand acrylic paint.  Its available at most hobby stores like RC truck and model making shops etc.  That paint lays down better than any other brand that I've ever used. 

The holster and belt system ar that vinyl material as well with another staple bent into a "D" or "O" shape with a small notch left open to allow the 2 ends to connect.  I have posted a tutorial about this process at my own site and also at thejawa.com.  I invite all of you to visit the sites and try it out.  PLEASE try to improve, elaborate, and basically put my patterns to shame.  I'd love to somebody to create a superior version and share it with us all. 

I pretty much make the harness systems permanent and the holsters and belts removable.  I like the idea of making 1 custom figure but giving him several play values.  Hats, helmets, belts, etc,  you can display 1 figure about 5 different ways.  I like to be able to make some of my imps lefties and some righties, therefore the holster can swing around to either side of the belt.  Its makes for some variation in the troops.

The Solo torso was a POTJ imperial officer torso (but just about any torso can be used) 'cuz the black bib is custom fitted vinyl (just like the straps) and painted and glued etc.  Its not too hard to do, just another time consuming ordeal.  The trick is to make either side of the piece the same size. 

Han's head is a redone VOTC Solo head, retooled and refitted slightly.  I obviously gave han a haircut and I had to modify the head to be accepted onto the post. 

I really like the military look of the WWII era soldiers, especially the uniforms of the Germans and Japanese.  Many poeple slammed me in private emails thinking that I was some sort of nazi because I made that Ozzel fig.  Let me state that I HATE NAZIS, but I liked some of their uniform styles and I thought that the SW imperials were begging for some of that influence.   Thanks for commentng on the Ozzel figure.  I like it because its so different looking to many other custom figures out there.  Its probably not ever going to be popular with the masses but I was trying to push the limit and connect SW imperials to earthly evil. 

That era is a big source for my customs,  Thanks so much for looking and letting me know what you think

hyourittaai- you can call me anything that you like, except late for dinner!

Darth Ennis, thanks so much for looking its the POTJ Imp Officer torso

p.s. if you'd like to view my tutorial on how to make those holsters please visit this link:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:43 PM by Outrider »
NOTE TO HASBRO,
SA JANGO would sell quite well!

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Great Work!

Love the Rise of the Empire Theme

The Death Star Trooper is Seemless, even better than Hasbro's. You Sould Patend that Removable Holster Desing of Your. Very inovative.

Keep Up the Great Work, and I hope to see your Customs Posted here more often.
Fritzkrieg

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Cool customs. Love the Nazi-style red sash on Ozzel.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Outrider, just because some people called you a Neo Nazi because your customs had a WW2 look and feel to them is just ridiculous. I absolutely love your customs, they really capture a military sense to them. If only I had that kind of perceptive and miniature skill to make those holsters...
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Outrider, just because some people called you a Neo Nazi

I never called him a Neo-Nazi. I just commented on how I liked the Nazi-esque red sash on Ozzel's arm because of the connection between Imperials and Nazis. Chill.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 12:54 PM »
HOTP Hes refering to emails that Outrider has gotten from people bashing his work and calling him a NEO-Nazi.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Outrider, just because some people called you a Neo Nazi

I never called him a Neo-Nazi. I just commented on how I liked the Nazi-esque red sash on Ozzel's arm because of the connection between Imperials and Nazis. Chill.

I wasn't blaming you. I love the Nazi tones to his customs, I stated that in the rest of the post.

HOTP Hes refering to emails that Outrider has gotten from people bashing his work and calling him a NEO-Nazi.

Thanks, man, this is what I was referring to.
I really like the military look of the WWII era soldiers, especially the uniforms of the Germans and Japanese.  Many poeple slammed me in private emails thinking that I was some sort of nazi because I made that Ozzel fig.   

Relax, HotP, no harm done.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2006, 03:41 PM »

I hate stupid people...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 03:42 PM by PenDragon »

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2006, 03:52 PM »

I hate stupid people...

>:( >:(

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2006, 04:04 PM »

I hate stupid people...

>:( >:(

I don't want to speak for Pendragon, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the morons that were e-mailing Paul about his customs  ;)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.