Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115453 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Sony PS3: 11/17/06, $499/$599
« Reply #30 on: May 9, 2006, 09:30 AM »
I good friend of mine from Highschool, whom I visit yearly in NC, designed the main processing chip for the PS3. He promises that the unit is going to blow all other gaming away.

Incidentally, the Government came in and stole his chip design to use in guided missiles.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #31 on: May 9, 2006, 09:38 AM »
Great. Now Iran will try to acquire our PS3's to get the components for their Nuke delivery systems  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #32 on: May 9, 2006, 09:55 AM »
To me, nothing screams fun like it.

Nothing?

:-\

Nintendo's gonna rock the house, and we're gonna find out exactly how much so in a couple of hours during their press conference.  The name's a little goofy, but going from being interested in it when it was the Revolution, to being, uh, not interested in the Wii, is even more stupid than the name itself. 
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 9, 2006, 10:20 AM »
The 360 is what, $400 ($500 loaded)?

The 360 is $300, $400 loaded - and the loaded one has a lot of extra stuff - if the only difference between the different PS3's is the hard-drive, it's not worth it. 

And in my experience, playing DVD's on a Playstation just wears them out faster - but that could have been coincidence.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 9, 2006, 10:24 AM »
It's possible to wear out a DVD?

Can the 360 play Blu-Ray?  I think the whole spin Sony is trying to put on the PS3 is that it's your all in one multi-media unit.

I'm sold.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #35 on: May 9, 2006, 10:30 AM »
if the only difference between the different PS3's is the hard-drive, it's not worth it.

Another difference (that I posted earlier) is that the $500 20GB model will NOT have an HDMI output, and the $600 60GB model will. 

May not sound like a big deal, but it's huge if you've got a TV with an HDMI input, or are planning to buy one any time soon.  It's different than what Microsoft did, where the Core and Premium units themselves are identical.  Sony is intentionally crippling the cheaper hardware, to basically force people into getting the more-expensive model.

Quote from: Ruiner
Can the 360 play Blu-Ray?

No.  Blu-Ray is a Sony thing.  Microsoft has said that they'll be coming out with an HD-DVD add-on at some point in the future.  We'll probably find out more about it today.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #36 on: May 9, 2006, 11:03 AM »
It's possible to wear out a DVD?

I think he's saying playing DVD's on the Playstation wears the Playstation out faster. Playing Audi CD's and PS1 discs is said to wear it out quicker, too... I know my PS2 won't even accept anything but DVD-Rom PS2 discs.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 9, 2006, 11:08 AM »
Well I'm in trouble then.  My PS2 doubles as my son's DVD player.  You can imagine how much it gets used.

Hell, I don't even play video games on it anymore!

:P

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 9, 2006, 11:33 AM »
PS2's aren't designed to double as DVD players.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 9, 2006, 11:36 AM »

Then why do they play DVD's?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #40 on: May 9, 2006, 11:39 AM »

Didn't you use your PS2 as your main DVD player for a time?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #41 on: May 9, 2006, 11:51 AM »

Didn't you use your PS2 as your main DVD player for a time?

I still use my PS2 as my primary DVD player.  I have a launch model, and I've never once had a problem.  Who said it's not supposed to double as a DVD player?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #42 on: May 9, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Who said it's not supposed to double as a DVD player?

Only Cory, as usual.

Guess it's time for you to go buy a new standalone player, Bill.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #43 on: May 9, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Nintendo's gonna rock the house, and we're gonna find out exactly how much so in a couple of hours during their press conference.  The name's a little goofy, but going from being interested in it when it was the Revolution, to being, uh, not interested in the Wii, is even more stupid than the name itself. 

Nintendo's press conference just wrapped up.  They didn't get specific like Sony did regarding pricing and date, just that the Wii (yes, that is the real name) will be cheaper than the other two consoles (as if it could be any more expensive), and that it would be available in the fourth quarter.

Other tidbits:

Zelda: Twilight Princess will come in two flavors: GameCube and Wii, and both will be available day-and-date with the Wii, on the Wii launch.  This is huge.

Super Mario Galaxy is the Mario game for the Wii

Metroid Prime 3 is gonna be on the Wii

Wii Sports is a launch title which includes tennis, golf, and baseball, and which looks like it will be really fun with the new controller and multiplayer

Bunch of new franchise games for the DS: Starfox, Yoshi's Island 2, Mario Hoops, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2, Final Fantasy III, others

The new controllers make the "motion-sensoring" on the PS3s controllers look like an absolute joke.  They've got little speakers on them, which will correlate with the on-screen action, and they have a rumble feature, which Sony's "new" controller will not

Big emphasis on the feel of the games as opposed to the graphics

Even bigger emphasis on getting non-gamers involved

Very, very impressive stuff

« Last Edit: May 9, 2006, 02:05 PM by MWB »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: May 9, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Other tidbits:

Zelda: Twilight Princess will come in two flavors: GameCube and Wii, and both will be available day-and-date with the Wii, on the Wii launch.  This is huge.

Sweet... that means my GameCube isn't quite obsolete yet.   :)

The PS3 intrigues me (as did the XBox, the Xbox360, and PS2 before it), but I think when it comes down to it, I'm a Nintendo guy.

I love Zelda.
I love Mario/Luigi/et al.
I love Samus.
I love DK.

I'm more of a recreational gamer than a hard-core d00d.  Sure, I miss out on "cool" games now and again, but junk like BMXXX or Halo or GTA or RE or whatever isn't really my thing anyway...   I'm much happier with my Nintendo fare.

And hey - if you haven't played any version of Mario Party as a drinking game, you are totally missing out.

So, until I can get some Mario love on the PS3, I'll have to pass...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender