Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115444 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Sony PS3: 11/17/06, $499/$599
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2006, 05:36 AM »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2006, 12:24 PM »
I was kind of surprised to see all the people camping out here in Nebraska for these too.  I know I heard of it around the country, but there were 8-10 tents at Best Buy (and 2 at the Target across the street) the day before the PS3 was released - and we then saw probably 5 or so at Best Buy on Saturday likely awaiting the Wii on Sunday.

Anyways, is anyone here picking up one of the "next gen" systems - the 360, PS3, or Wii?  If so, which one are you hoping to get (now or eventually)?  Just curious what the general consensus is on the gaming systems, and which one everyone is clamoring for.  The price aspect puts me towards the Wii, if any of them, eventually - but I'm curious which one will "win" the console wars.  It seems like Playstation has the name brand loyalty that Nintendo once had in the NES/SNES days, but maybe that will change.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2006, 12:44 PM »
I'm no gaming guy for the most part, but we tend to have a console around most of the time.  If we buy one it will probably be the Wii.  Pricepoint and certain games will drive that, plus the reports thus far of backwards compatibility have some appeal to me.  All we have in the house right now is a Gameboy.  I guess we're mostly a Nintendo family.  Any games I do play that the wife has no interest in are done on the computer but a separate system is cool too. 

I'm wondering if Nintendo won't win due to the seemingly greater availability of consoles combined with the lower pricing.  PS3 doesn't really seem that expensive to me once you factor in the inclusion of a blue-ray DVD player.  Up here the larger hard drive version is running $600+ I think and a straight blue-ray player is still well over $800, so why not get a bonus gaming system?  I'd be curious to hear how they set their specific target markets though.  Seems like Xbox and Wii are after broader, more generic markets while the PS3 market is the true gaming fanatics.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2006, 12:50 PM »
That's a good point about the Blu-Ray player Brent.  When I was talking about the systems with the Mrs., I mentioned that people are really just saying "$600 for video games" when it really isn't too bad of a deal when you consider the Blu-Ray player as well.  But, still, the price overall keeps us away - we just can't afford that.  I'm not a huge gamer by any means either, but I always kind of like to have a console around.  I went with the Gamecube last time due to it being cheaper, at the time having Star Wars titles like Rogue Leader, and wanting to get back to the "fun" Nintendo gaming of my youth.  Now I'm still happy with the cube, but it really did start lacking in games after awhile while the other two systems seemed to get almost everything (outside of exclusive titles).  I don't know if we'll ever have one of these consoles in the house or not, we'll see.  I've thought about just getting some sort of handheld system instead too, but I've never actually owned one of those.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2006, 10:42 AM »
And the scam auctions are out in full force.

And the idiots not reading the message are as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300050305788&rd=1&rd=1

There is a second identical listing up there... I just reported it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 10:44 AM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2006, 10:54 AM »
I love Playstation and have PS2, but I haven't really been into any games since Battlefront 2 and Madden and haven't played in months.

I may buy a PS3 but not for at least 6 months, maybe longer.  A couple games are gonna have to come out to motivate me, probably Star Wars.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2006, 11:36 AM »
And the scam auctions are out in full force.

And the idiots not reading the message are as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300050305788&rd=1&rd=1

There is a second identical listing up there... I just reported it.

That's sad.

Not as sad, though, as the bastards running XBox 360 Box auctions at the peak of that scalper frenzy.  Part of me can't feel sorry for someone who can't tell the difference in a PS3 auction and 3 Playstations with no photos.  The XBox 360 Box auctions though, with a photo of the box were just visciously deceptive.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Had to post this here. Good news for gamers, bad news for scalpers.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/22/next-gen-auction-prices-fall-as-supplies-increase/

Got Clones?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #83 on: July 5, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Rumors running rampant of a $100 price drop on the PS3 within a matter of days. . .
« Last Edit: July 5, 2007, 04:55 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #84 on: July 5, 2007, 05:48 PM »
I'm sure they're thinking E3 announcement.  A price cut would be welcome.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #85 on: July 5, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Here's a scan from the Sunday, July 15th Circuit City ad:

Hopefully this means that Microsoft will follow suit. . .
« Last Edit: July 6, 2007, 10:29 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 6, 2007, 09:26 AM »
That's not a bad price considering most Blu-Ray players are close to that.

Nintendo played their cards right - I still haven't seen one at retail.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 6, 2007, 11:34 AM »
So is the 20gb coming down as well?

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 6, 2007, 12:30 PM »
So is the 20gb coming down as well?

That price break is for the 60GB version.  Sony no longer makes the 20GB version since retailers only carried the 60GB version.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Sony dropping 60GB PS3, replacing it with $600 80GB

This is one of the STUPIDEST things I have ever heard. Sony announces a price drop on their system, getting people talking about it, and then a week later they yank it and replace it with the new $600 version, basically putting them back at square one. All the more reason to buy a Wii or a 360. At this rate, the PS3 may end up being a bigger bomb than the Dreamcast.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks