Author Topic: The Halo 3 & Halo 3: ODST Thread  (Read 48358 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Halo 3 Video Game Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Just a note for anyone who's having trouble getting those skill points. I had been stuck in a rut on team slayer forever. Weeks. Can't get past 17, always getting stuck on crappy teams. Well, Lone Wolves seems to be the ticket, made it to 20 in no time flat.

Yes, thsi is what I've heard too...in fact...I have foud a way that supposedly works for getting you and three buddies to be in the SAME Lone Wolf match, which makes it easy to get those gamer points.

Here's how it works (Though I haven't tried it yet and I'm waiting on 3 other people to try this with me, HINT HINT!):

Getting in the same ranked Lone Wolves game:

• Go to the Xbox 360 Dashboard.
• Change your language to the second option from the
bottom, then start Halo 3.
• Invite four other friends that are about the same
rank as you, and have them change their language to
the same one as you.
• Get everyone in the same party; everyone must search
at the same time.
• Everyone must then make a game in Lone Wolves.
• Before you go to start the countdown, press X to
change the search options to the bottom one, which is
to search for the same language. If done correctly,
you should be in the same ranked Lone Wolves game as
your friends.
• You can now get achievements or level someone up.

I'll be on tonight and much of the weekend if anyone wants to try this with me.

Gamertag: JediMasterSal 0
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2008, 09:27 AM »
Thanks to Rob's inspiration, I finished on Legendary yesterday. However, I have to give props the the people who made this video walk through:

Video Legendary walkthrough.

Amazing stuff, great tips. I watched about 10 or 12 segments, the guy didn't die once. Good narration too.

I'm going to experiment with some skull combo's next to see the best, most effective way to get through the meta game, which you can play yourself.

Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Congrats on getting through the game on Legendary Anthony. I tried the meta game last night. I'm going to figure out a good skull combination.
I remember my dream now.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2008, 02:52 PM »
Thanks to Rob's inspiration, I finished on Legendary yesterday. However, I have to give props the the people who made this video walk through:

Video Legendary walkthrough.

Amazing stuff, great tips. I watched about 10 or 12 segments, the guy didn't die once. Good narration too.

I'm going to experiment with some skull combo's next to see the best, most effective way to get through the meta game, which you can play yourself.

Excellent link. I haven't had time to go through them all, just the first three, but good so far. I've downloaded most of the vid. 2.77GB of Halo goodness.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2008, 04:36 PM »
The arcade mode style is really easy and you should easily be able to get all of the acheivements your first time through if you are playing alone. Playing co-op can be slightly more difficult because you are essentially competing with the other people for score.

I used the Famine skull (almost no ammo), Thunderstorm (the one that gives everyone field promotions), Thunderstrom (the no radar one), the one that makes explosions do more damage, Mythic (the one that toughens the enemy: this is a good one on flood levels since it just acts as a mulitplier and effectively does nothing), sometimes Tilt (damage resistance is improved and brutes are immune to human weapons), Tough Luck (the enemies are good at dodging), IWHBYD (the I would have been your daddy silver skull, just becasue it is funny), Grunt birthday party (same thing), and Cowbell. Using all of those there is no way you shouldn't be able to get the acheivements the first time through. If playing with someone else I use the Iron Skull.

I still want to try the Campaign with four people, I've never played with more than two. Legendary was fairly easy alone and really easy if you play it co-op with two. I'll bet four people could get through the game insanely quickly.

"This is the way."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2008, 09:12 PM »
I think the only level I really had alot of trouble on Legendary was the Cortana level. I died alot on that level. Those stupid Flood things that would run around were a pain.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2008, 10:55 PM »
I struggled with Cortana a lot more when I played it through on Heroic than when I played it on Legendary. I got through it on Legendary only dying 7 or 8 times. If you can get a sword an rocket launcher you are set. The sword tears through Flood and uses less energy than it does against Covenant enemies. The rockets are great for taking out the ranged Flood shooters (the ones that cling to the walls and shoot the yellow projectiles). There are plenty of swords throughout the level so you should be able to pick up a new one fairly frequently.
"This is the way."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2008, 11:29 PM »
flamethrower at the pelican FTW. I snag that carry it with me then drop it when i need to fight up close, then i use the sword and rocket launcher like you said. The FT is amazing at killing Pure forms of any kind though.

Adam

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2008, 09:24 AM »
On cortona in Legendary, I just ran and kept high. Worked too. Amazingly, it was my quickest level.

In regard to that link, Ironically (and typically,) I watched a few more just to see how he tackles certain sections and in both, he said he had to edit out deaths. :P

As for skull combos, in all my experimentation, I only turned on and kept on the Birthday party and IWHBYD silver skulls (as the others I had just tried on previously were just plain annoying with no bonus) Gold-wise, I played part 1 on Legendary with just Fog (no motion tracking,) Famine (half ammo) and Thunderstorm (promotions.) I got through the level okay, but it was a pain. It was plus 9 bonus total. Then I switched to Normal and added Tilt (stronger shields) and Mythic (2x health.) That's an 8.5 bonus with a lot more ease. I highly recommend this. Since I had off yesterday, I play 4 parts total with no problem getting the required points for the achievements, no time bonus though.

I also would be interest in doing some competitive campaign play.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2008, 09:53 AM »
Okay, Rob and Sal, I'm officially jealous. I've played enough Lone Wolves games to get me to 20 skill points and the only Achievement I could get unlocked was up close and personal. The rest I couldn't get close, even on the ones I won.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2008, 12:50 PM »
I only have a few of the ranked free for all achievements. The "destroy a banshee with the spartan laser or missle pod" was a complete luck out for me. I wasn't even trying to get it. The mongoose mowdown I believe is the easiest next to the up close and personal. I just recently got the 3 in a row and three in a row with laser sword achievements playing a swords only match.

I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Ryan and I have been talking about a (another?) JD Halo day. Who's in and when?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2008, 12:18 PM »
Okay, Rob and Sal, I'm officially jealous. I've played enough Lone Wolves games to get me to 20 skill points and the only Achievement I could get unlocked was up close and personal. The rest I couldn't get close, even on the ones I won.

Oh, it wasn't too hard for most of those I have. Though I am having a hell of a time with "Lee R Wilson memorial" and the "To Close to the Sun" (the banshee one) achievements.

I'd totally be up for a Halo day. I'm in an unofficial clan now and the guys in my group play quite frequently (including me). We're moving up in rank okay, but our overall skill is still a bit lacking., though we have shown marked improvement.

The cool thing about being in a clan is we all know the maps well and can help direct each other where to go and how to help. I'm an unselfish player and will "guard" another of my teammates if it means he can get the amount of kills necessary for us to win.  So my skill level doesn't go up so much. But as a team we are coordinating much better than when we first met just three weeks ago.

One thing I want to do is play the campaign on Legendary with a couple others with skulls turned on (I have them all already) so I can get those campaign achievements for score.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Oh, it wasn't too hard for most of those I have. Though I am having a hell of a time with "Lee R Wilson memorial" and the "To Close to the Sun" (the banshee one) achievements.

Too Close to the Sun is really easy, just do it in campaign. Lee R Wilson was easy for me as well, but I've always been used to sticking people frequently going back to Halo CE. If you are struggling with it go into a Lone Wolves game and go for absolutely noting but sticks, don't kill anybody with a weapon at all until you get the achievement. Hide somewhere near the sticky spawn (it probably will be easier on a level with Plasmas rather that Spike grenades) and wait for people to run by and then stick them. You can also go the kamikaze route and stick people as they go to melee you. If you see someone with a shotgun or hammer, charge them and get the stick. At lower levels I've noticed most players aren't that good at changing their weapons as the situation changes. They will probably try to shoot you with the shotgun from distance, which should let you get close enough for a stick. I've had plenty of games with 5 sticks when I wasn't really trying for them, so if you spend an entire game or two working on it you should alright. I was playing a doubles game the other night and I wound up with 9 sticks in one game. Just try to get used to switching your grenades based on the situation. If you know you might die soon switch to plasmas and hope to get that last second stick.

Thanks for playing the other night Ant, sorry your internet connection died on you. We were having a string of great games there for awhile. As for a JD Halo night would Friday 9 PM Mountain (11 EST 8 PST) work for anyone here? I'll probably be on after Galactica for awhile. If not, about anytime Saturday night should work for me too.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 09:32 AM »
I'm good Friday until Battlestar, and at that, I have to wait until my neighbors are ready to watch it. So I'll have 2 hour plus. Saturday might be a problem.