Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 7952 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Vote!
« Reply #60 on: November 8, 2006, 01:17 PM »
I'm guessing it exists to remind people to vote?

As for not being RS, that's true, but it's a particularly polarizing discussion if it goes forward and it's seldom level headed in nature for you Yankees.  It seems you're either one or the other and there is no middle ground at all.  Whether it's Scum or JD, people will get angry so it's better left alone, right along with religion/abortion and all the other fun topics.  Like evolution ;)

Nice to see you guys had a good turnout down south though, that's how it should be.  We just had a civic election locally last month and voter turnout was horrible.  Mostly because the incumbent mayor is pretty decent and the challengers were more fringe than anything else. 

Is it surprising that Montana is so tight?  I'd have pegged that as Republican territory. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 8, 2006, 01:52 PM »

Is it surprising that Montana is so tight? I'd have pegged that as Republican territory.

And you're right.  But things change in times of war.  I found this little nugget earlier today:

Since WWII, the party of the incumbent President has typically lost more than 30 seats in the House of Representatives and six seats in the Senate during the second midterm. In addition, in the five wartime congressional elections since 1860, the President’s party has lost an average of 32 House seats and five Senate seats."

Here in Iowa we lost a longtime conservative Congressman, Jim Leach, who has served for fifteen terms.  He lost by 6,000 votes to his Democratic challenger.

And it would appear, (according to CNN's projection) that Montana AND Virginia will go to Democrats.  Wow, that's interesting, I thought for sure we would end up 50/50 (which would still give Republicans control).

« Last Edit: November 8, 2006, 01:57 PM by ruiner »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: November 8, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Then why does this thread even exist?  This isn't RS.  ::)

I'm guessing it exists to remind people to vote?

Yes, it still exists (and was only re-opened) as a reminder to get out and vote. 

Once upon a time, politics were allowed at JD, but those days are long gone because as Brent said, the only thing politics threads do is polarize the JD community and pretty much get everyone all worked up, which inevitably spills out into other areas of the forums.

Since the election is over and polls are closed, I'm going to go ahead and re-lock (before it strays too far into the no-no topics). 

See you in 2008!   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender