Author Topic: Major Derlin in Palmdale  (Read 6347 times)

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
Major Derlin in Palmdale
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:20 PM »
The  Travel  Channels  "Made  in  America"  is  sending  a  filmcrew  to  the  place  of  my  employment  next  Tuesday.  John  Ratzenberger  hosts  the  show.  Anybody  want  a  signed  Major  Derlin  action  figure?
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Major Derlin in Palmdale
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:27 PM »
No  thanks  but  thank  you  for  asking.

::)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 07:04 PM »
Neat idea!  But I wonder if he has a "rule" on autographs -- some actors won't sign items like that.

(PM on its way)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:05 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 12:35 AM »
Dude!  I'd kill for a photo of him holding the CreatureCantina.com SUCKS sign!

http://www.creaturecantina.com/celebs/
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 01:56 AM »
I sort of doubt he's had an action figure of himself put in front of him - I'd like to hope he'd be cool about it. You should definitely give it a shot. :)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 02:10 AM »
PM sent. 
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 02:20 AM »
Go for it Gamboa, let us know how you fare with this...  Drop an image if you want, I'd dig seeing you with him or something just because he's not a guy you can seemingly get ahold of too often.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Let's see. You've got John Ratzenberger coming to your work to do a job and you want to ambush him with signing a few pieces of plastic from a movie he was briefly in over 20 years ago.

I'm sure he'll love that, since he'll have all the time in the world to fulfill your fantasies. And won't you have a job to be doing somewhere at the company while he's there?

Why not just talk with him? You could choose to be cool and helpful to Mr. Ratzenberger instead of rabid. "Here, hold up this Creature Cantina Sucks sign... What's it mean? Uh, it's kind of an internet inside joke kind of thing... Oooh - Take a picture with me like we're friends..." Instead, ask him questions. He's had an interesting career outside of his role as Derlin.

John is the only person to voice a character in all 7 of Pixar Animation's feature films - as Hamm in Toy Story (1995), PT Flea in Bug's Life, A (1998), Hamm again in Toy Story 2 (1999), the Abominable Snowman in Monsters, Inc. (2001), School Fish in Finding Nemo (2003), the Underminer in The Incredibles (2004), and Mack in the upcoming Cars (2006).

Personally, I'd rather have you bring back a cool story about meeting John than a few signed figures and a photo of him holding up a sign.

Good luck.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Let's see. You've got John Ratzenberger coming to your work to do a job and you want to ambush him with signing a few pieces of plastic from a movie he was briefly in over 20 years ago.

I'm sure he'll love that, since he'll have all the time in the world to fulfill your fantasies. And won't you have a job to be doing somewhere at the company while he's there?

Why not just talk with him? You could choose to be cool and helpful to Mr. Ratzenberger instead of rabid. "Here, hold up this Creature Cantina Sucks sign... What's it mean? Uh, it's kind of an internet inside joke kind of thing... Oooh - Take a picture with me like we're friends..." Instead, ask him questions. He's had an interesting career outside of his role as Derlin.

John is the only person to voice a character in all 7 of Pixar Animation's feature films - as Hamm in Toy Story (1995), PT Flea in Bug's Life, A (1998), Hamm again in Toy Story 2 (1999), the Abominable Snowman in Monsters, Inc. (2001), School Fish in Finding Nemo (2003), the Underminer in The Incredibles (2004), and Mack in the upcoming Cars (2006).

Personally, I'd rather have you bring back a cool story about meeting John than a few signed figures and a photo of him holding up a sign.

Good luck.

I disagree.  Go with the sign idea.  When is Cliff Claven ever going to come to your work again?  Actors are attention hungry ego maniacs, he will love it.  Can't wait to see that sign.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 01:17 PM »
Great points R4Don4. Yeah, maybe go with Don's suggestion instead.

Treat John Ratzenberger like your bitch and personal play thing while he's at your work, after all, he signed up for that when he decided to be an actor and he'll never be coming back to your work again. What kind of story is he doing about your company for Made in America? Oh well, it probably doesn't matter. I'm sure he'll find fan boy antics "cute", and how could your actions possibly effect the way they edit their story about your company? If your boss asks about your behavior, just explain that your online buddy R4Don4 said it would be okay, because when will John Ratzenberger, er, "Cliff Claven" ever come to your work again?

Here's an idea; if John Ratzenberger won't hold the Creature Cantina sign, wait for him to go into the restroom at your work. Then go in and wipe your ass with the sign and use the feces to stick it on him. Be sure to take some pictures of him going to the bathroom, and with the sign stuck on him. You could post them here, or sell them to the Enquirer. After all, "actors are attention hungry ego maniacs, he will love it".

Can't wait to see that sign indeed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 01:28 PM by Deanpaul »

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 05:47 PM »
Is the Idea here that we all have to go along with Deanpauls' idea or else we get subjected to his ' only my view is right, and if you don't like it I'm going to argue all day with you about it with nasty replies '? ::) :P

Do what you need to do Darth G.--- Hopefully you could use your influence as a supervisor to get what you need. I don't know how much time he has to sign autographs but..think of me as usual...maybe you'll luck out and get a pic with him(hey even if it's a pic with several folks as long as you and him are in it) and maybe you could get him to sign a few toys. If not.. At least I'LL ADMIT I'm envious of your opportunity with this! Best of Luck!

The DS

My replies above aren’t meant as nasty. Whether my view is right or not isn’t the issue. We’re having an open discussion. Are you saying I should go along with your idea of a meaningless “I got a group photo with John Ratzenberger right before I shoved my plastic obsessions in his face for an autograph” wankfest because Arthur buys toys from you? Or because you're The DS?

Whichever, this has been an amicable discussion whether R4Don4 and I agree or not. You making this about me is asinine.

What is it with you tearing threads off topic with some other issue? You did it with the Toy Fair thread and now this. This discussion is about how far and in what ways Arthur will choose to invade John Ratzenberger's space and time, since he's a Star Wars fan and John Ratzenberger had a minor role in a Star Wars movie 20 years ago.

Your lecture about my reply above being nasty is misplaced and ironic. Why don't you go back to Slothus Family Values threads like the one where you talk about assaulting your sister and how you “still hate the bitch, too”. Or this one where you have trouble counting. Those were pretty nasty.

Or you could go work some more cheery Slothus syntax magic in your Darth Gamboa's Feedback thread. That thread isn’t nasty. On the contrary, six separate entries in 15 minutes time? You two should get a room.

EDIT: I removed one line at the request of Jesse.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 06:22 PM by Deanpaul »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 06:11 PM »
Guys, let's cut the **** out please...

The conversation was going pretty well, so killing it like this is just pointless. 

Personally I'm giving Gamboa the benefit of the doubt on being subtle and polite if he makes the attempt...  Dean's points are valid though about "ambushing" Ratzenberger for autographs so I don't see his point of view as being arrogant or anything.  It's valid.

I'm sure others are just assuming Gamboa isn't going to hound the guy and knows to be cool about it and not be a jagoff SW fan...  One can hope.  In the grand scheme of things though that's Gamboa's perogative as to how he goes about it and understanding the negatives involved too.

So let's drop the bitching about each other and our posts...  I'm too tired today for this.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I don't think it's a horrible offense to respectfully approach a celebrity and ask for an autograph or that they pose for a photo.  I'm sure Gamboa wouldn't interrupt him while he was on camera or busy.  These sorts of shoots always have periods of downtime, and being greeted by a fan is often a pleasant distraction.  You need to pull that bug out of your ass, DP.

Also... if you would be so kind as to try the sign Gamboa, it's very helpful to print out a couple pics of some previous sign holders... it puts the celebrity at ease.  Seeing people like Ken Colley and Caroline Blakiston, who are respected thespians, assures an actor that they're not being set up for a lawsuit.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 12:37 AM »
I think Dean's point has been heard and it's valid either way...  Tread lightly is my advice Gamboa, but I'm sure you'll know what to do and what is right form at any given moment.

I'm addressing the rest of the situation privately, I suggest everyone else do the same and keep the thread on topic otherwise it'll get locked down here.  The bickering replies back and forth stop now.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 06:57 AM »
Considering Palmdale's just a half hour away from me, maybe I will bring one of my Derlin figures for him to sign.  Where do you work?  LMK what time would be best for you guys...

Another thing:  If *anyone* stalks celebrities onto airplanes, they probably shouldn't be telling people to refrain from asking a cordial celebrity to spend 10 seconds signing a fun little toy figure on which said celebrity's likeness was based.  ;)

- M
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 06:59 AM by JediMAC »