Author Topic: The Findswoman's Customs: 6/25: VTSC-style Zuckuss (is anyone surprised?)  (Read 27716 times)

Offline Spectre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spirit Of Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: The Findswoman's Customs - 12" Queen Apailana (5/30)
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 06:34 PM »
That queen is beautiful Esther great job. I cant beleive you hand sew this stuff idts amazing.

The 10 th doctor??? I thought they only regenerated 8 times. What the hell???
As forthe Dr.'s regenerations, I think I remember reading on Wikipedia that it's 12 times.  Can any Who fans out there corroborate this? 

Timelords get 12 lives, but it will be interesting to see if they change that with this current series as The Doctor is the last Timelord (maybe he gets all of the unused lives of the now dead Timelords?)....

Also... great new customs Finds! The Snivvian female looks very good, almost production :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 06:36 PM by Spectre »
Looking for EXCELLENT 1/18 scale weapons? Check out Marauder, Inc.
www.marauderinc.com/servlet/StoreFront

1 Stop Shopping For all Your Customs Needs:
www.goodtogocustoms.com

Offline johnboy walton

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: The Findswoman's Customs - 6/12: Sheltay Retrac & Wiorkettle
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 08:14 PM »
I've been looking forward to see what you were going to do with your version since you first mentioned it a couple weeks back.

I am impressed!!!  Great job on making soft goods work for this figure.  As proficient as you are at all of your figures using cloth, this one really works well. 

Now you make me want to go back and try something like this myself. 

Keep up the good work Findswoman!

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 10:49 PM »
wow, Findswoman, another pair of great customs!

That Wiorkettle is one damn strange looking character!  Who designed that card?  Great execution of the character, but it does look a bit goofy.  :)

and the Sheltay Retrac is EXCELLENT!  Another stellar job with the soft goods!  Really, really great!

My only small complaint is still my strong dislike of most POTF2 Leia heads, especially those obnoxious-looking celebration ones.  but that's hardly your fault.  The craftsman ship is really first rate, a wonderful job all around.  My only suggestion would be the same one I gave to johnboy - a pilot Padme head instead of the POTF2.  but I certainly am aware that it's not always feasible to find whatever parts you want whenever you want them.

Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 11:25 PM »
Great update finds....

I though Wiorkettle was fan-fic until I saw the reference.  Looks top notch!  A bizaare creature but matched up great.  I may tryin to replicate the way you got the soft goods to work on that body.  It looks great.

Sheltay is a great looking figure.  You always do such great work with the softgoods.  You make us amateurs look like butchers when play with cloth :) 

Keep it up!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2006, 09:45 AM »
I really like Sheltay Retrac. The fabric dress is fantastic. Very well cut and sown together. Do you really sew the dresses for this scale figure or do you glue them together and hide all the seams? How do you but together a dress like this?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Just to echo what i said at FFurg.

Great job on both Finds.
I really like the Snivvian . THis is the first Female version i've seen.
Bail's Aid is nicely done too.

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2006, 12:35 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind words, Spectre, Johnboy, Quazar, Phruby, Brent, and Glassman!

Quazar, yes, I know those POTF2 Leia heads are suboptimal.  I just didn't have enough spare Padmé heads around at the time.  I did a tiny bit of repainting on the eyes to try to make it just a touch different.  It ended up looking a lot like a friend of mine from elementary school!  :)

BrentS, Glassman, and Spectre, glad that Wiorkettle is to your liking!  She sure is a funny looking one, isn't she?  Flowing light blue dress and cape... topped with that head!  But that's precisely why I wanted to make her, because that's the kind of custom I like to make -- beautiful, but still outlandish in that Star Wars kind of way.

Phruby, I do sew all the outfits at this scale.  Once in a while I'll use glue to attach small accents or that sort of thing (also I use self-adhesive Velcro, which saves work), but the actual outfit is indeed stitched together with needle & thread.  I use a pattern to cut out fabric pieces at the right size, slightly adjusting the dimnsions as necessary so it fits the figure.  Then I pin the pieces together in the places I'm going to sew, and then I sew them up (on the wrong side of the fabric, of course).  At this scale it's not practicable to sew hems, so I protect the edge of the fabric with a very thin line of clear nail polish to prevent fraying.

For both Sheltay and Wiorkettle, the cloth parts are the skirt and cape; the bodices are part of the figure.  You can use a pretty similar pattern for skirts and capes, though capes are usually bigger (at least these ones are).  I have such a pattern posted in PDF format on here, on FFURG -- the cape/skirt is the one on the lower left side of the page. 

Thanks again, all, and very happy customizing!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Findswoman, this is a great update.

Sheltay Retrac - Really a pretty figure.  Could pass for a Leia too, so if you ever do a photonovel in the OT era maybe you could use that for a Leia scene also.  Really a great figure, you are very good with the soft good and making female figures expecially.

Wiorkettle - I tried making a version of him a while back, but it didn't turn out too good.  Yours looks great.  What a funny looking alien.  Good soft goods again, and it's nice to see some aliens on Bespin other than just Ugnaughts.

:)

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2006, 12:47 AM »
Oh my gosh, Chewie, I totally missed this response of yours from gosh knows how long ago!  Thanks so much for your kind words -- I respect your work a whole lot, so it's always a great honor to hear from you.   Glad you like the two gals!  (Yes, Wiorkettle is a gal too -- note the secondary sex characteristics. :) )

Gand apologizes profoundly for shamelessly bumping her own thread when she doesn't have anything new to offer.  But she will soon, she promises -- something 12", in fact.  So do keep watching this space... 8)

... the Findswoman

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Just a very small update -- I gave my 12" Padmé Amidala (arena outfit) a new (& hopefully better) body.  Check her out here:

http://www.findswoman.net/12inch/PadmePage.html

She had been on the slightly scrawny LOTR Arwen body, but I changed her to one of the new 12" female bodies from http://www.triadtoys.com, which not only had better proportions with the head, but also gave the clothes a more flattering fit. 

I'll post more photos soon, including of the scratches I painted on her back, as soon as I fix her head (it's been having trouble staying on the neckpost of the new body).  Meanwhile, enjoy!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: The Findswoman's Customs - 1/19: 12" Padmé (Arena) body update
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2007, 09:26 PM »
i have to be honest and say that the hair on the padme is very strange and looks nothing like the real hair, but thats okay, because your work on the body looks very nice, and thats the main focus of the custom, so nice work, and keep it up! it must be really hard working on the 12" scale but youre really pulling it off.  8)  :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2007, 01:05 AM »
Robo-Quack, thanks for your comments.  Yes, you are right about the hair -- it is far from movie-accurate.  That's because this doll uses the head from the Beautiful Braids Padmé doll, which has the hair bun in a somewhat different place.  Even if it didn't match,  I still liked it far better than the cheapo plastic hairdo that came on the Hasbro doll.  If I had more skills in this direction, then maybe I'd be able to achieve the proper look!  But that may not happen for a while...  :o

Thanks again,
Finds

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2007, 07:19 PM »
YAY!! Finally another update to the Findswoman collection. The updates have been few and far between as of late. :(

Movie accurate or not I still think it loks awesome. If this would have been on the shelf, that fig probably wouldn't have rotted. ;D

I wish they would have had those Triad Toys bodies when I was still collecting 12 in figs. I probably would have gone broke trying to get them. All we had was that miserable G.I.Jane body. ( Shudder!)

My favorite is still the purple gown Padme. That is noe beautiful figure.

You really need to update more often. ;D

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Thanks, Ennis!  Glad you enjoy!  Those Triad S1 bodies ARE nice -- and are very reasonable, too, at $12.99.

Yes, I know it's been a while since I have updated here.  It's because (a) I've been quite busy preparing to go to Germany next week and (b) I've recently been doing mostly 12" stuff, some of it non-SW (which doesn't mean that I've given up 3.75" stuff).

I'll do my best to post at least 1 or 2 more things before I leave for Germany, but part of it depends on (a) how quickly I receive some supplies I need and (b) how much time I have outside of preparations, etc. to work on it.  But I will do my best.

Thanks again!
... the Findswoman

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 1, 2007, 08:57 PM »
finds - I love that update Padme.  That 12" body looks to be ideal for your female customs.  Very well done!