Author Topic: Glorbes Customs (New Vader and Stormtrooper 1:12 scale-9)  (Read 80006 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: Glorbes Customs (6" Chewie and Han Solo)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 06:07 PM »
MY GOD, that last pic of han and Chewie is amazing, that chewie looks like he could and will rip your arms off.
I like the open mouth so don't worry about it, it gives him that wookie badass feel

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 09:32 PM »
WOW!

I am in Awe of your Sculpting abilities. I really need to star Practicing My Sculpting again. It Must be Great to have the ability to Create What You Need Rather Than Relly on Existing Fodder Pieces.

I can't Wait to See More of Your Amazing Work.

Fritzkroeg
Fritzkrieg

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 10:01 PM »
Wow, words fail me.  You did an incredible job with both Chewbacca and Han Solo!  I absolutely love the ML style Chewie.  He looks absolutely incredible.  I'm also surprised how good the Aragorn head works as Han Solo.  Keep up the superb work man, I am completely blown away.   :o
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 12:30 AM »
Welcome, Glorbes!  Wow, these two are exquisite.  Fantastic sculpting work on both.  I like that you've achieved a sort of "concepty" look that nevertheless is very much in the spirit of SW. 

Making SW customs at this scale is so ambitious because there's so little actual SW fodder at this scale -- which makes your work all the more impressive.  Looking forward to seeing more!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 01:24 AM »
These are some of the most amazing and creative customs that I have EVER seen.  Care to add your Fett/Stormtrooper/Yoda to this thread?

:)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Um, WOW!  Those are all amazing.  I love Grievous and Chewbacca - outstanding!  Thanks especially for showing the WIP photos of Greivous, it really shows off how hard you work on these figures.  I'm very very impressed with all your work. 

Thanks for joining us here at JD.

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Smartypants1635

Thanks for the feedback...glad you think the growling mouth looks okay.

Fritzkrieg

Thanks for commenting...these Star Wars customs were (and are) my most ambitious pieces with regard to sculpting...I had kind of decided to really push myself and learn during the process.  While I see many issues with the final pieces, I'm happy with them to a certain degree.  Thanks again.

Gregorbian

Thanks for the kind words.  I actually used the Aragorn head for an Indiana Jones custom as well...I know its not much of a likeness to Harrison Ford, but in a pinch, at least they have the same sort of appearance and attitude.

Findswoman

Thanks for the great feedback.  The funnest part of these customs are exactly what you touched upon...generating the parts to make something at this scale that fits into the SW universe, and using the conceptual designs as a basis for the figures.  I have to say that this set was a lot of fun for those two reasons.

CHEWIE

Wow, man...thanks for the far too generous feedback  :).  I'll add the other four soon...I figured I should at the very least take some new images of them (especially since I made a few minor adjustments to Yoda). 

BrentS

Thank you for commenting...and also for the kind welcome.  In some cases, when I can remember, I like to take a few shots of the progress of a custom.  With Grievous, I felt it was particularly important to document the process.

Thanks again for commenting everyone!

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 07:25 PM »
R2-D2

Artoo was very much a fusion of the final design and the early McQuarrie concepts.  I wanted the basic color and compostional elements of the movie Artoo, but I loved the very rough, almost primitive industrial element of the arms jutting out of the dome.

Here's the WIP:

The dome is from a trinket machine, the body is from a Loctite Super Glue container, the bottom "egg" shape is from another trinket machine container, and the legs are from an Alien Racers figure.  The foot pads are door hinges from a McFarlane Toys X-Files figure accessory.  The arm is from a ML Elektra, and the attachments are from a McFarlane Ichabod Cran figure.  The various panels are vinyl that has been cut and glued to the body's surface, and the jet engines on the back are the innards of a pen.

C-3P0

This one's a little more out to lunch.  I went more to the McQuarrie illustrations for this, but went back even further to the initial inspiration for Threepio...the Ultima Futura Automaton from the classic film Metropolis.  I also threw in some of my own ideas. 

The base figure is a Vampire Hunter D female character.  I removes the breasts, the head detail and hair, and the jacket from the figure.  The hands and feet are from a McFarlane Ultima Online figure.  The head has been resculpted with epoxy putty, as has the sides of the torso, back, and chest.  The head detailing has been achieved with strips of vinyl.

I liked the idea of Threepio being androgynous and vaguely humanoid, but more streamlined than what a man in suit would allow.  I do love the film version, but I thought for this project I'd try something a little different.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: Glorbes Customs (6" R2 and 3P0, p.2)
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Wow, thats great, I love the R-2 He looks great, The greeblies and the construction go very well together. 3PO looks very slender, which is something we don't see in The SW unniverse making this custom very unique.

2 thumbs up for 3PO and 2 screw drivers or other tools up for R2 ;)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 07:54 PM »
wow, your custom's are awsome they are so creative!

it took real talent to turn that wip r2 pic in to the final product, very cool.

i really liked the 3po. he actually looks like he would be usful in a fight now!

the weathering and design of each of these figures is very well done, you did some excellent work, thanks for sharing it.
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 07:38 PM »
I'm blown away by the creativity of your customs.  Thanks so much for posting the WIP photos of R2.  I was sitting here wondering what you used to create that figure.  How imaginative!!  As cool as R2 looks, I just love 3P0.  He looks great.  What is the overall scale of both of these guys?

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Simply Stunning :o

I love the way these turned Out. They are Very True to the Styling of the
McQuarrie concepts they are Based on. What scale are they In. I'd love to see a pic of the Base Figure you used to make C-3PO.

Keep Up the Great Work
Fritzkrieg

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Again, wow!!  These are by far of the coolest customs I've ever seen.  R2 is flat out awesome.  What's  next?  I'd love to see your take on the McQuarrie paintings that had Luke as a young woman! Or a Stromtrooper! Go, man go! Also, it woudl be great to see a group shot of all of these, posed like those early promo posters--Speedermike
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 10:12 AM »
Stunning, Just Stunning! 
Beautiful interpretation of these guys.
I love seeing the co9nstruction of R2.
Your painting really brings the droid to life.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 02:15 PM »
cool!!!  I started sculpting and customizing in 6" about a year ago, but only did 2 thus far.  I've since went back to 3 3/4" scale.  But MAN, those are danged awesome!  You may want to look into WWE wrestling figures too as bases.  Thats mainly where I did mine from.  You can get lots of good fodder cheap from older figures.  Weapons, now thats another issue.  Not much out there.  I used those cheapo paintbrushes as a lightsaber (the kind that come like 10 to a pack with different colors for handles) and it works very good.
Have a look (its the Naga sadow and Gorc).  of course, I'm not really sure if gorc is 3 3/4" scale or 6"! 
http://rjedi-pics.tripod.com/cus-naga.html
http://rjedi-pics.tripod.com/cus-gorc.html

I also found a TON of less articulated 6" army soldiers at big lots as well, for 2 bucks each.  Hope this helps a little.
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site