Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 2950 times)

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: May 18, 2006, 03:24 PM »
Hello! I am new to the forums here and apologize if this is not the right place for this topic, but after seeing the VOTC Saga figures last week, I decided to add Star Wars figures to my collection. I am eager to start doing custom figures and have read quite a few tutorials on the boil & pop method used to remove limbs, but I have a few questions. Any replies would be appreciated.

1. Are the ball joint heads used on Star Wars figures the same size or different sizes?
2. Does boil & pop work for ball jointed shoulders?
3. Is there a tutorial or guide for separating ball jointed limbs i.e. elbows or knees?
4. Is there a list of compatible parts from other figure lines? For example, how compatible with Star Wars figures are XD or Elite Force heads, legs?
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Hey spidey,

Welcome to JD! I'll go ahead and answer each question in the order you asked it. :)

1. Yeah many of the ball joints are actually different sizes, as were the pegs on the original heads. You should be able to modify the parts, without too much difficulty, enough so you can get almost anything to fit together though.

2. It will pop them out of the torso in most every case, yes. Now if you want to dismantle the joint completely it will take a little creative cutting.

3. I haven't seen one but I imagine there is one somewhere. The best way to find out though is trial and error. You will get a much better feeling doing it and learning yourself than any tutorial can give you.

4. Like the heads sometimes they will take a little modification but you can almost always get them to fit together.

If you haven't yet be sure to check out FFURG. You can find all the tutorials you could want there. There is also a great forum like this one, where you should get some helpful answers.

Let us know if you have any other questions. We look forward to seeing your first customs! :)
"This is the way."

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 01:04 AM »
Welcome, Spidey, both to the boards and to the wonderful world of customizing!

I agree with Ryan's answers, but have just a few things to add.  First of all, I found out the hard way that Aurra Sing's ball-joinged arms do not pop all the way out of the torso -- the shoulder pegs stayed right where they were, since they were made of a harder plastic.  So, just by way of warning, Aurra Sing is one exception to that rule! 

Also, as far as checking figure compatibility, I know that FFURG.com has some lists of that sort, though they're by no means exhaustive.  But Ryan's right that most 1:18 heads out there can be used, with some alteration of course.  I should think the limbs from the XD figures would work out too, since they seemed to be attached to the figure in the same way.

Hope that helps!  Happy customizing, and keep in touch!

... the Findswoman 

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:43 AM »
Welcome, Spidey, both to the boards and to the wonderful world of customizing!

I agree with Ryan's answers, but have just a few things to add.  First of all, I found out the hard way that Aurra Sing's ball-joinged arms do not pop all the way out of the torso -- the shoulder pegs stayed right where they were, since they were made of a harder plastic.  So, just by way of warning, Aurra Sing is one exception to that rule! 

... the Findswoman 
For what its worth I also had a hell of a time removing the shoulder joints from the ROTS Obi-Wan Pilot figure.  I basically had to dremel all the way into the torsoe to get the shoulder joint to come out.  The plastic was just too "hard" for boil and pop.  However, that is the only figure that I've struggled to get the shoulders removed.

I also agree with Ryan and finds, the FFURG site is great for tutorials!

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Did my first boil & pop today with mixed results. I was  using a Endor Rebel Soldier from the 4 pack. I was able to get the limbs and head off easily, but the waist section snapped off in the torso. I had to end up cutting the torso apart. Also as a side note XD Marine figure legs have the peg hole instead of the peg. The peg is attached to the waist section. Anyone got a suggestion on how to use them with the Star Wars waists?
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 02:38 PM »
Waists don't really pop. You need to crack the torso, by sticking needle nose pliers in the neck hole and opening the pliers.

To your Xd probs, you can do surgery but cutting other pegs off of a pair of legs and putting them on the legs you want, but they may be fragile or you can use a screw as the peg by screwing the screw into the leg and then the head of the screw goes into the pelvis.