Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 126239 times)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: Bust Ups!
« Reply #585 on: December 16, 2005, 04:28 PM »
I usually try to get these at retail.  I've only ordered once online and that was from AFX to get the Holo Sith pack and series 2.  The only advantage from ordering online is you'll get a complete set, where if you go in a store you have no idea what they'll have in stock. 

I was lucky in wave 4 in that I found a case just put out so I was able to grab both Anakins.  Why GG only put 2 in a case baffles me.   ???  The most convenient option would probably be order a set online and what you don't get look for at retail.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 16, 2005, 10:07 PM »
Got my Holo Vader/Maul 2 Pack today. Now I have a grand total of 4!  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 16, 2005, 10:45 PM »
I remember my dream now.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 16, 2005, 10:57 PM »
Me Wantee

I'm confused....

This auction is for a Gentle Giant Bust-Up figure that was NEVER RELEASED; The infamous Black Stormtrooper. I sincerely doubt even the company president knows how many of these items exist. Since the design was never actually produced, all that exist are basically the artists’ proofs-test pieces that are shipped to various execs for approval. You are bidding on one such test piece. This is the rarest bust-ups figure that exists-moreso than the much sought after Commander Gree.

Is he just bullshitting the un-knowing, or is this a variant that was never released?

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 16, 2005, 11:07 PM »
I am not knowing. I thought this was a chase figure from the Stormtrooper 4 pack.
I remember my dream now.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 16, 2005, 11:10 PM »
Yeah, the blackhole Stormtroopers were the chase figures in the Stormtrooper 4packs, much like Gree is the chase in the new Clone packs. But he's saying this is un-released... how is that?

I know there were at least 3 different Blackhole Stormies in the 4 packs, but I'm wondering if this is a 4th version that didn't make it out?

I'm clueless, or he's full of crap. One or the other.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 16, 2005, 11:12 PM »
He's probably both. But 2 hard to come by Bust Ups in one auction for that price is pretty decent.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 17, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Jay and I saw the Hoth wave today.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #593 on: December 18, 2005, 04:10 AM »
Hoth wave already huh?  Damn.  Now I'm two waves behind!  Where'd you see it Jason?  (PM it to me if you like)

Me Wantee

I'm confused....

Is he just bullshitting the un-knowing, or is this a variant that was never released?

He says further on in the description that it's an "Artist Proof", hence never released.  But that doesn't look like one of the regular 3 Blackhole Stromtroopers that was released that I recall.  Maybe Brent would know better though, since he's been chasing those a bit.  But considering that seller also has the highly coveted Holiday Gold Sandtrooper bust as well, he appears to be pretty well connected to GG in some respect.  So that may really be an artist proof he's got there.  But that auction price is especially high since he's also got the very valuable Toy Fair Clone Bust-up included in it too, which is almost as impressive as the artist proof...

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 18, 2005, 09:37 PM »
Matt we saw them at Frank & Sons.

Someone at RS posted a pic of the variants:

Are you kidding me?  This set is going to cost me lot of money.  I wonder if there is still the red lava ring Vader variant too.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 11:26 PM by JayDouble »

Offline Rod

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 19, 2005, 08:38 AM »
I am so glad I am not a completist of these or I would be annoyed.  Just one set of the regulars will be fine with me.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #596 on: December 20, 2005, 01:36 AM »
Someone at RS posted a pic of the variants:

Are you kidding me?  This set is going to cost me lot of money.  I wonder if there is still the red lava ring Vader variant too.

No.  Freaking.  Way.

They're doing "holo/spirit" versions of every single one of them now?  I think that may be the last straw for the stupid variant **** in this line for me.  I may be ditching all the non-movie Bust-ups real soon here, 'cause this is completely beyond ridiculous.

And yeah, I wonder where that flaming Vader went?  Maybe it's the super-rare chase ala the Blackhole Stormies and the new Gree...?  Who knows.  But this line is starting to give me a bit of a headache as an avid completist.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 20, 2005, 01:40 AM »
Luckily I think I may just pick up the ones I really want. Then maybe go back after the others later. Those ice variants pretty much blow.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #598 on: December 20, 2005, 02:27 AM »
So is the hoth wave out?  I need Luke at least from this set but I don't really collect them so I'm never sure when they hit and where to buy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rod

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 20, 2005, 02:38 AM »
Yeah, this line gave a headache way back when I first saw the announcement of the holo Vader and Emperor 2-pack with the Dark Horse trade paperback....right there and then I sold most of mine....changed my strategy to only buying the ones I like
and I am happy with that.

Jsut so happens I really like all of these...the regular ones only.