Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 128232 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Bust Ups!
« Reply #300 on: February 3, 2005, 11:38 PM »
So, what are people's plans for the bounty hunters.  AFX is looking mighty tempting right now :o

Nice work Jim/Jay.  Let's see what a sealed case of 24 brings out of Gentle Giant.  Hopefully at least what you guys got.   :-\

SWS.com has the bust ups Stormtroopers back on the site again.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2005, 12:03 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 4, 2005, 01:05 AM »
Much as I'd love to insult you Dave, they appear to be off the site today.

Well, gee, thanks for not insulting me... I guess.

What is AFX asking for the Bounty Hunters cases? And are they going to have some kind of crazy exclusive, like a green transparent Boba Fett or something? Or maybe a glow in the dark Fett, that would be cool   ::)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 4, 2005, 04:18 AM »
My 3-packs of Stormtroopers arrived from SWS.com today.  Naturally, no Blackhole Stormie for me.  That's OK though, I'm not too sure I'm going to even consider that they exist, it's just easier that way.   ;)

I'll have to play with them tomorrow and see how many configurations I can get out of the 9 that I received.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 4, 2005, 11:12 AM »

Well, gee, thanks for not insulting me... I guess.

What is AFX asking for the Bounty Hunters cases? And are they going to have some kind of crazy exclusive, like a green transparent Boba Fett or something? Or maybe a glow in the dark Fett, that would be cool   ::)

You sure you're from the east, you're much too sensitive :-*

I think Alice knows one of the chase pieces, a differently posed Boba?  I still think they're going to make an IG-88 bust up as a chase piece to irritate the hell out of the Bounty Hunter fans.  I'm sure the translucent pieces will show up shortly ::) 

As far as AFX and the case goes, I don't know.  I know Jim and Jay opted for the half case from AFX, got free tranlucent bad guys and paid less than I did for the full case at EE, yet they still got chase Vader and Maul in their assortment.  Less money, more stuff (effectively) seems appealing. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #304 on: February 4, 2005, 01:54 PM »
I think Alice knows one of the chase pieces, a differently posed Boba?

Yeah, from what I recall, they showed 2 different Boba Fett Bust-ups at Comic Con last year, just as they did with Vader and Maul.  So I'm pretty sure there's gonna be an alternate Boba in the mix at least.

Making IG-88 a rarer chase figure though...  Not a good idea.  Granted we'll all be wanting one, so it would be nice to add it in with the rest of the Bounty Hunters to complete the lineup, but the demand for it could get a little scary.  I think we'll find out in a few weeks at Toyfair.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 4, 2005, 01:55 PM »
After I saw the news about the Black Hole Stormtrooper, I went and ordered 3 sets.  Lo and behold, it paid off because I got one!  WOOHOO!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #306 on: February 4, 2005, 02:07 PM »
So I'm pretty sure there's gonna be an alternate Boba in the mix at least.

Fett #1

Fett #2

But I don't know which is the regular and which is the chase version...  ;)

Jeff

ps.  was that a positive enough contribution, J-MAC?   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #307 on: February 4, 2005, 02:13 PM »

Had me momentarily confused there for a sec, but now I remember...   :P

Yes, well done Jeff.  I shall not ban you after all.   :-*

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 4, 2005, 02:16 PM »
So I'm pretty sure there's gonna be an alternate Boba in the mix at least.

Fett #1

Fett #2

But I don't know which is the regular and which is the chase version...  ;)

Jeff

From speaking to the Gentle Giant people in Chicago, they said that the Boba Fett that is just a sized down version of the original mini-bust may not be part of the line.  It might have only been a display piece, and nothing more.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 4, 2005, 02:44 PM »
That would be too bad.  I really like the pose for that one, much better than the other. 

Making IG-88 a rarer chase figure though... Not a good idea. Granted we'll all be wanting one, so it would be nice to add it in with the rest of the Bounty Hunters to complete the lineup, but the demand for it could get a little scary.

I couldn't agree with these comments more, but my cynical nature and the black hole stormtrooper combined do nothing but convince me I'm right.  It's a natural fit and releasing IG-88 down the line isn't going to fit with any other theme.  And these all seem to be themed waves in one way or another. 

I hope I'm wrong or at the very least that it proves to be about as tought to find as the Leia chase piece.   :-\

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 4, 2005, 08:48 PM »
So I've been playing with my Stormtrooper Bust-Ups tonite; yes, playing, these things are very cool.  The plastic seems to be softer than that used in the first Wave, allowing the pieces to slide together a little smoother.  The heads can pivot in any position, allowing you to customize each pose.

So how many poses are there?  Well, mathemathically, there are 18 possible poses.  There are 3 left arms, 3 right arms, and 2 weapons: 3 x 3 x 2 = 18.

L1 R1 G1      L2 R1 G1      L3 R1 G1
L1 R1 G2      L2 R1 G2      L3 R1 G2
L1 R2 G1      L2 R2 G1      L3 R2 G1
L1 R2 G2      L2 R2 G2      L3 R2 G2
L1 R3 G1      L2 R3 G1      L3 R3 G1
L1 R3 G2      L2 R3 G2      L3 R3 G2

However, the number of reasonable poses is less.  Some of the combinations just look plain goofy, so there is no need (in my mind) to get 6 of the 3-packs to display all of these poses.

The boxes only show 6 poses, but I'm still playing to see if I can create the 8 poses referred to by the SWS.com website when I ordered them.

Hopefully I can get some pics of the combinations and let you guys decide which ones you like.

:)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #311 on: February 4, 2005, 08:56 PM »
18?  No.  Obviously you forgot to mix and match all the different black arms/bodys/heads in with the white ones, Jess.  I think Scott was right, when he said there's going to be about 7 million combinations, or whatever it was that he predicted...

But I look forward to your pix anyway!   ;)

(I've been too lazy/busy to fiddle around with mine yet  :-\)
« Last Edit: February 4, 2005, 08:58 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 4, 2005, 09:06 PM »
OK fine.

6 right arms x 6 left arms x 4 guns x 2 heads x 2 torsos = 576 combinations.

Round that off..  yup... 7 million combinations.

;D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 4, 2005, 10:12 PM »
After I saw the news about the Black Hole Stormtrooper, I went and ordered 3 sets.  Lo and behold, it paid off because I got one!  WOOHOO!

**** you Nick  :P

I ordered six sets and didn't get a single one, now I'm about ot order another six just to try and get one...

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 5, 2005, 12:13 AM »
OK.  Here goes!

I laid out the arms and weapons as follows: 
L = Left arm; R = Right arm; G = Gun (obviously)

I kinda goofed when I was setting this up: "Left" arm is the arm on the left side of the picture, not his actual left arm (8 years of university, you'd think I'd get that straight  :-[)

#1: L1R1G1:  Nice pose:

#2: L1R1G2:  Again, nice pose, with rifle:

#3: L1R2G1:  Looking good:

#4: L1R2G2:  Not bad, but rifle is a little long for the hand to support it there:

#5: L1R3G1:  Pretty good: "Come here, you rebel scum"

#6: L1R3G2:  Now with rifle: "I said come here!!"

#7: L2R1G1: Onto a new "left" arm that has a sharper angle at the elbow:

#8: L2R1G2: I like this pose a lot better with the rifle as shown here:

#9: L2R2G1: These two poses really don't work - his "right" arm isn't supporting anything:

#10: L2R2G2:  Again, doesn't work (unless he's saying "I want that $50 you owe me"):

#11: L2R3G1: Not bad:

#12: L2R3G2: Seems better with the rifle again:

#13: L3R1G1: And onto the third "left" arm, this one looks awkward with his "right" arm down and the "left" one aiming:

#14: L3R1G2: This one looks worse with the rifle, very awkward:

#15: L3R2G1: These 2 don't work either (..."can't reach that itch..."):

#16: L3R2G2: Again, just goofy:

#17: L3R3G1: Better, but the blaster is too short here for his "right" arm to support it:

#18: L3R3G2:  MUCH better, one of the best poses, but I should have rotated his head so it looks like he's aiming:

So after all that, some of the potential poses just don't look right (or plain stupid, but I think it's pretty obvious that Gentle Giant didn't intend for all of them to be used). 

When you set up the 6 troopers that they show on the side of the box (Squad 1 and Squad 2), you can really only set up 2 more poses with the 9th being pretty much useless.  But the 8 Stormies look pretty cool as a squadron:

« Last Edit: February 5, 2005, 12:14 AM by JesseVader08 »