Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 126212 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Bust Ups!
« Reply #480 on: July 18, 2005, 06:59 PM »
I picked up the Silver Jango Bust-ups from SDCC for everyone that asked for one (that I know of).  Finally got my Holo Sith Lords recently too, so all I'm short now are those two stupid bust-ups that came with the comic/book packs - Holo Sidious and that amber Chewie.  But there's no way in hell I'm biting the bullet and dropping $25 or so on those things.  Obviously, if anyone's got extras of those, or don't want the ones that came with their books/comics, give me a shout!

I also got a chance to scope out the Hoth wave down at Comic Con, and it looked quite spiffy, I must say.  I guess one of the "chase" pieces will be the Vader, in either a flames base, or ice base.  No idea about any other chases (and didn't have time to ask the GG reps there, unfortunately).  Here's a shot of them that Jared took down there:

We're probably about due for a Bespin series soon here now...  ;)

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 18, 2005, 09:21 PM »
Did you notice all the EPISODE II CLONE TROOPER bust-ups in that display at the con?  I saw a Blue, a Yellow, a Green and I think an all white.  I know the Blue was an old exclusive, but have they ever announced a set of these?  I don't remember hearing anything about them...

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 18, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Did you notice all the EPISODE II CLONE TROOPER bust-ups in that display at the con?  I saw a Blue, a Yellow, a Green and I think an all white.  I know the Blue was an old exclusive, but have they ever announced a set of these?  I don't remember hearing anything about them...

They gave out blue and yellow Clone Trooper Bust Ups at Toy Fair in 2004.  I believe the blue went to press and the yellow went to dealers.  They had a fairly decent sized display of E2 Clone Trooper bust ups at that event.

I imagine they'll be doing an AOTC Clone Trooper wave or something to that affect at some point soon.  Give it a little time.  As things stand now, the ROTS wave 4 is due out in the next month or so.  Wave 5 will probably ship sometime around the Holidays.  Gentle Giant has been pretty restrained in releasing these pieces.  I think they want to give the retailers time to sell them out.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 19, 2005, 01:58 PM »
That's the first I've heard of the yellow version being released.  I've not noticed it on ebay and find it hard to believe no one has sold them on the secondary market.  Not doubting you Nick, just surprised to see there is another.  That leaves me with three holes.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 19, 2005, 02:13 PM »
That's the first I've heard of the yellow version being released.  I've not noticed it on ebay and find it hard to believe no one has sold them on the secondary market.  Not doubting you Nick, just surprised to see there is another.  That leaves me with three holes.   :-\

You can see a little bit of the yellow clone at the back of the picture above -- on the left side, the last figure, way at the back, on the bottom row.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 19, 2005, 02:46 PM »

Yep, I've seen it before at C3.  Awfully nice stuff to be sure.  I just thought it was from a coming release (actually at C3 I thought it was from the next series (4) but Nick correctly pointed out that the troopers in the next series are from Ep III whereas these guys in the pics are Ep II clones.  At least I think that's what he said back in April.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 29, 2005, 03:59 PM »
Not much news on the Bust Up front it seems lately, is the ROTS assortment due to hit pretty soon (or maybe it has already?).  I'm still considering picking this line up, as my "other" line, since everyone seems to be pretty positive about the product and it is relatively affordable to pick up/catch up.  I've been looking over ebay for some of the first series bust ups.  I have a Chewie, and I'm waiting for the "OT" Yoda coming in the ROTS wave, but I suppose getting the whole wave would be easier than picking up the Han, Luke, Leia, and 3PO individually.  Anyways, anything new on the bust up front around here...or general opinions on the line for someone considering jumping on board?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 29, 2005, 04:23 PM »
Yeah, get the busts and some bust ups Brian.   :P  The bustups are just so inexpensive it's actually disappointing.  These must have been seriously overproduced as so much of the line is so cheap on ebay it's crazy. 

As for anything new, nope, haven't heard a peep.  My guess is that we won't for a while.  We know the next two series that are coming and that carries us through the next 4-6 months.  I have to wonder if Gentle Giant isn't maybe re-examining the future of the line though, given they aren't really that hot.  I think they sell reasonably well on the primary market but the secondary market is flat.  I hope that's not the case as I really like these guys. 

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 29, 2005, 11:13 PM »

It was just a promo, nothing more.  When I went to Toy Tokyo in Manhattan a few months ago I noticed that they had one.  They told me how they got it and also refused to sell it to me.

MOSNAB:  The ROTS series of Bust Ups is due out in October.  That's the word straight from Gentle Giant.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 11:14 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 29, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Dang, I need me that yellow clone >:(

Still need that cola Chewbacca too, that thing is giving me fits.

The Hoth series is due out in December

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 30, 2005, 08:49 AM »
Dang, I need me that yellow clone >:(

Still need that cola Chewbacca too, that thing is giving me fits.

Given the fact that Gentle Giant has shown that piece as much as they have, it's pretty likely that it's gonna come out at some point.  The only thing that we have to bear at mind is that Gentle Giant has been pretty restrained about not releasing too much product at one time.

As for the Clone Wars TPB that comes with the amber Chewie & Yoda, I have an extra.  Drop me a PM.

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 7, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Kind of crappy news for those who are completists, or trying to track down all the "exclusive" bust ups.  This news from Dark Horse:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Star Wars: Empire - Volume 1 - Betrayal TPB and Exclusive Bust Up Set

Writer: Scott Allie
Penciller: Ryan Benjamin
Inker: Curtis P Arnold
Cover: Brian Horton

Available Now, package includes Star Wars: Empire Volume 1—Betrayal trade paperback and an exclusive Darth Vader bust-up, $14.95

Dark Horse has teamed up with Gentle Giant Studios to bring you a Star Wars graphic novel and exclusive bust-up package combination!

Star Wars: Empire Vol. 1—Betrayal is set in the weeks before the events in Star Wars: A New Hope. As the Death Star is readied for its fateful first mission, a power-hungry cabal of Grand Moffs and Imperial Officers embark on a dangerous plan to kill Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader to seize control of the Empire!

In addition to the Star Wars: Empire graphic novel, an exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Vader Bust-Up is included, measuring 2"-3" tall.

Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope TPB and Exclusive Bust-Up Set

Writer: Chris Warner
Penciller: Drew Johnson
Inker: Ray Snyder
Colorist: Dave McCaig
Cover: Tony Harris

Available Now, package includes Star Wars: A New Hope trade paperback and an exclusive Stormtrooper bust-upj, $14.95

Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope brings you a Star Wars you never imagined, a Star Wars shattered, a Star Wars where the possibilities are endless!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... The events and players are very familiar but something isn't quite right. Luke Skywalker valiantly attacks the Death Star, fires his torpedoes—and they miss their mark! Taking off from the end of events in the movie A New Hope, Infinities readers will follow Luke, Han, Leia, Threepio, and Artoo on a journey every bit as action-packed and fantastic as the original Star Wars trilogy only with a different take on the events we know and love so well.

In addition to the Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope graphic novel, an exclusive Gentle Giant Stormtrooper bust-up is included, measuring 2"-3" tall.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe there really isn't anything different from the regular releases BustUps, so it might not be a big deal.  I hope for completists' sakes, it isn't.  I recently completed a trade with bosskmr, and added my 2nd bust up to my collection :P - C-3PO.  Now I'm on the lookout for Han, and then Luke and Leia from Series 1...if anyone has extras they'd like to get rid of for a decent price ;).

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2005, 03:41 PM »
The only Bust-Up I have is the series 1 Chewie but I look forward to that pimped-out AT-AT Pilot.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #493 on: September 26, 2005, 02:00 AM »
I want the Luke Hoth one as soon as I can get my grubby mits on it.

These aren't something I collect (yet) but they are great items I believe...  Affordable, diverse...  Proof that accuracy in this scale's possible too as they're tremendous sculpts in comparison to some of Hasbro's work.  They aren't bad fodder either I've found.  Not bad at all. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 28, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I finally got the holo emperor today.

All I need are the glow in the dark set, blue clonetrooper, and blackhole to be complete.  The last 2 I wish.    ::)

Anyone know an eta on the ROTS set?