Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 126229 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Bust Ups!
« Reply #525 on: November 8, 2005, 04:23 AM »
Nice to see these have finally hit, even if the wait wasn't killing me.  I'm going to hold out for a complete set somewhere, with the chase.  So are there actually two "chases", if you include the second Clone?  Or are we just counting that as a regular release, and saying that Sith Anakin is the only chase?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 8, 2005, 08:20 AM »
Those are some great pics.  I think the chase Anakin would have been a little more interesting had they given him a slightly different pose than the regular version.

As for the Clones, the box for the Clones shows both versions on it, so I'd treat them both as "regulars", rather than one of them being a chase.  Any word on whether they are packed evenly in each case?

2 Diff Clones

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 8, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Here's the break down on a full case: 2x Obi-Wan Kenobi, 2x Anakin Skywalker, 4x Clone Trooper (2 styles), 2x Emperor Palpatine / Darth Sidious, 4x Yoda, and 4x General Grievous.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 8, 2005, 03:23 PM »
AFX carries Series 4 Bust-Ups in case of 9, but EE only sells them in the cases of 18.  The advantage is that way I don't have to sell off as many extras.  The big disadvantage is that I may not get the chase Sith Eyes Anakin, since he's only packed 1/9.  But I'm not sure that this minor difference is enough for me to worry about tracking down.

Anyone know of other retailers carrying Bust-Ups?  I was surprised that SWS.com only carries the upcoming Clone 4-Packs.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 8, 2005, 04:20 PM »
AFX carries Series 4 Bust-Ups in case of 9, but EE only sells them in the cases of 18.  The advantage is that way I don't have to sell off as many extras.  The big disadvantage is that I may not get the chase Sith Eyes Anakin, since he's only packed 1/9.  But I'm not sure that this minor difference is enough for me to worry about tracking down.

Anyone know of other retailers carrying Bust-Ups?  I was surprised that SWS.com only carries the upcoming Clone 4-Packs.

I'm not surprised at all Jesse.  Frankly I'm surprised the line has made it this far.  Don't get me wrong, I love these little guys and I'm fairly obsessed by them (still needing that damn coca-cola chewbacca and two black hole stormtroopers).  Still, they have nearly zero resale value down the line and if you exercise any amount of patience with these you'll end up paying less.  Here's why:

- the chase figures are easy to obtain: 50-50 split ratio in many instances
- they seem to be seriously produced in terms of numbers but hard to come by in local shops - nada in the big retailers
- lots of folks buy boxes to get the set and have leftovers afterwards
- interest seems pretty low outside of a certain set of collectors

I bought a big box of series 2 (24 pieces) and the chase Vader/Maul were an even split.  I was able to get two full sets of each including both Mauls and both Vaders.  All I had leftover was stormies and Sith Lords in black.  I still have Sith lords in black ::)  I can go on ebay just about any time and pick up a sealed box of 24 for at least 25% less than I paid for them. 

Series 1 is dirt cheap and the GITD version (whether it's a bootleg or not I don't know) is now down to $14.99 and not selling on ebay at even that price, $10 less than I paid. 

Series 3 was pretty easy to obtain and I did so locally, getting relatively gouged on the Fett chase ($15 CAD) but it ended up being cheaper than ebay overall with shipping and exchange factored in. 

I can find all three series' (mostly) sitting at the two stores in town that carry them.  I expect the same for this series and I'll be surprised if they even jack up the price on the Anakin, considering there's only two per case.  Maybe they'll jack up both though :-\  Maybe I'll be wrong since this is the most strongly PT series they've released and they can ride the popularity of the DVD release, though to be honest I think they should have had these out during the theatrical run to have more impact.  Still, I don't see them selling overly well. 

I think they're really cool and a decent value at $5 USD per unit.  They display very well and have remarkably good detail for little unarticulated statues.

I'm sure they'll produce the ESB/Hoth wave but after that I honestly am not expecting to see more of these.  There's ample room for future waves but I'd be willing to bet they're not moving like GG expected them to.  I'd also bet that retailer orders are down dramatically from Series 1.  Put those together and I smell the end of a line. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 8, 2005, 06:08 PM »
I think they should have had these out during the theatrical run to have more impact.

Very true.  I think they would have grabbed more casual buyers by riding the wave of the theatrical release.  I really don't think the DVD release has nearly the same impact.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 8, 2005, 07:00 PM »
If anyone gets extras on both Anakins, I'll take em.

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 14, 2005, 10:36 PM »
Anyone have an extra variant Silver Boba-Fett they'd like to get rid of?

-Steve

Offline vegastrooper

• Jedi Initiate
  • whatever dude...
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 15, 2005, 03:01 PM »
Bust up collectors...here's series 6 - cantina wave...

Obi, Han, Greedo, Ponda Baba, Bith and Snaggletooth.

http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/catalog/?id=WEB7582

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 15, 2005, 03:12 PM »
These look pretty nice.  I was all convinced I had better stay away from these, but looking at the Hoth wave and now this, its getting awfully tempting.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #535 on: November 15, 2005, 03:23 PM »
You two must get your e-mails a little quicker than me!  ;)

I'm not surprised at all Jesse.  Frankly I'm surprised the line has made it this far...

I'm sure they'll produce the ESB/Hoth wave but after that I honestly am not expecting to see more of these.  There's ample room for future waves but I'd be willing to bet they're not moving like GG expected them to.  I'd also bet that retailer orders are down dramatically from Series 1.  Put those together and I smell the end of a line. 

You were saying, Brent...?   :P

Love that line-up!  Hopefully this means there's still a bright future for this great little line.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 03:24 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 15, 2005, 03:26 PM »

Or not :-[  This pleases me a great deal.  As I've said before, I love this line and would really encourage you to get into it Brian.  Very little is expensive and the scale is right there with the 3.75" Hasbro stuff.  Easy to display without taking up much space.  

That said, I like this line and that they are sticking to the OT.  All the figures are neat and I suppose if I don't like one, it would be the snaggletooth.  The pose seems a bit contrived, but whatever, it's still nice.  

I wonder if they'll do different instruments for the band member?  And I wonder what they'll do for a chase?  Blue snag?  Not really as functional a fit here as it would be in the Kubrick line IMO.  Hood down Obi?  Not sure that would make much sense.  I'm hoping for an entirely different alien for the chase (Dr. Evazan?)

Going back to the notion of sticking to the OT, I wonder what the process behind that is?  There's certainly enough characters to be found in the PT but they seem to be shying away from it.  Not that I'm arguing the concept at all.  

My favorite for this line is the Ben though.  Wow.  It mirrors the flashback (?) Ben pretty nicely, also my favorite Hasbro Ben.  I'd love to see this one as a full size bust.

Oops, typing as JMac got his shot in.  I deserve it.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 15, 2005, 03:33 PM »
I like this line up.  I'm thinking the chase will be different instruments.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #538 on: November 15, 2005, 03:52 PM »
What do you think about about a Blue Sanggletooth, Blaster Shot Greedo or Severed Arm Walrusman for variants?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 15, 2005, 04:23 PM »
I mentioned the blue snag above, but I think because of the height differential and the loss of impact in a "half" figure, they might not. 

I personally like your other suggestions, but I'm guessing they lean towards the gruesome side a touch too much ;)