Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 126805 times)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Bust Ups!
« Reply #690 on: January 21, 2006, 08:44 PM »
MJ,

That might be doable. There is one other guy (who lives here in Burbank) who said he wants it, but he wasn't 100% sure. I'll find out and let you know early next week (Mon-Tues).

Thanks.  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 21, 2006, 09:16 PM »
I bought about 12 of the Stomtrooper 3-packs and didn't find a single Blackhole Stormtrooper... maybe that's just a rumor too. And I bought 6 of the Clone 4-packs and don't have a Gree. I hope that's just a rumor too.

I was just adding my own experience to the evidence that it doesn't exist. No harm, no foul.

Snags

And I was just pointing out the fact that just because you didn't end up with a Fire Vader out of the two sets you purchased, doesn't rule out the reality of it. I didn't mean to be rude, but I can see that it kind of came out that way. I think that as more people get these sets, and more people (hopefully) don't find one, then we can rule it out. Of course, GG has shown a few Bust-ups that have not surfaced yet as far as I know (Boba Fett with the same pose as the mini bust, multiple different colored Episode 2 Clone Troopers... maybe another one or two that I'm missing). So it might not be real.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #692 on: January 21, 2006, 09:31 PM »
Yikes, I didn't mean to create such a ****storm in here with my pessimistic speculation there!  Like I said, and others have reiterated - hopefully I'm dead wrong.  I just saw that damned "ICE" box and had ugly flashbacks to the Stormtroopers and that damned Blackhole fiasco.

Considering folks have been getting their sets, and haven't found any "Fire" Vaders yet, I'm starting to think that it's definitely not coming at this point, which is fine by me.  I've already got a big enough headache with the rest of the stupid chases in this line.

I'll likely sound like a broken record here, but I'm seriously considering dumping all the non-movie specific Bust-ups at this point (holo, GITD, Ice, clear, amber, spirit, blackhole, etc, etc, etc.)  Somehow I've managed to just stick to the movie-specific MR mini sabers, so maybe I can do the same with this line, 'cause all this chase stuff just isn't that fun to collect anymore.  Unless you have an unlimited collecting budget, I suppose...

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!
« Reply #693 on: January 23, 2006, 08:36 AM »
I know what you mean about "dumping" the variations. Chase figures seem to have become more of a marketing ploy than an incentive to collect. They are almost becoming an incentive to not collect the line at all.
That being said, I think gentle giant is doing great work, and it has gotten better with each series. I'm going to try to go "zen" with all of this, and accept the chases I do find, but not make getting each one imperative. I received two Ice versions in the case of 18 I bought. I am not thrilled with Luke, but the Wampa is cool. They will be enough for me.
I like the GITD set, because it seems "retro" in its' own way, even if the figures lose a lot in the translation. They remind me of something we would have looked for in our frosted flakes around 1978.
I would rather see these chases "Gree, blackhole, etc" be offered as mail-aways for proof of purchases. Then you as a company are rewarding the people who support the line. The current system seems to reward speculators and frustrate their real customer base. I'm beginning to feel the same way about Kubricks, and may cut and paste a portion of this rant over in that forum.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 24, 2006, 01:23 AM »
I got my set of Ice sculptures today, I mean bust ups.   :P  No flame Vader so hopefully it doesn't exist.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 2, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Remember how we all thought it was so goofy that IG-88 wasn't in the Bounty Hunter series?  Well, now he is.  Sorta.  It appears there will be a new box-set coming out with Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Bossk and Dengar from the original series.  A resculpt of Boba Fett is included, and IG-88 (both of which appear to be based on their bust poses).  The Hoth Vader is also included but with a different base.

I found this pic at RS and am trying to confirm it...
« Last Edit: February 2, 2006, 10:56 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 3, 2006, 01:12 AM »
I hope it's not a set and we can buy the bust ups individually.  I only need Boba, IG-88, and Darth.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 3, 2006, 01:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping so too.  I really couldn't care less about packaging when it comes to Bust-Ups, I just want the 3 new/modified ones.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 3, 2006, 02:15 AM »
Id take a set cause I don't have any of these.  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 3, 2006, 10:16 AM »
 ::)

Now this is getting silly.  I've not bitched (overly) about the chase figures but now we're getting rehashes and re-releases?  Already?  Puh-lease. 

I'd be happy to pick up the ones I need but since it's a box set, I'll end up with four I don't need.  And I suppose we can all but guarantee there will be a chase figure randomly inserted into these somewhere along the way, perhaps that frigging flame Vader or worse, an entirely new figure. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 3, 2006, 10:28 AM »
I'm actually kind of happy to see this, but I can see where it would be a huge pain for those of you who already have many of these bust ups.  I personally don't have any, and kind of prefer this Boba sculpt to the previous bust up, so this would be a welcome box set to me.  It will be curious to see how this is released, exclusive or otherwise?  I'm still trying to decide what to do with this line, I'd like to continue collecting it, but spending might have to be cut back this year and this might be the line that has to go (or at least become more limited).  We'll see.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 3, 2006, 06:34 PM »
It would be kinda cool if the Vader had a removable helmet.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 7, 2006, 03:42 PM »
Finally getting around to opening up my clone bust ups that Jim sent up to me.  Need to inventory them, so I'll do it here ;D

Clean:
Orange w/blaster (window)
Grey w/blaster
Blue w/rifle
White w/rifle

Battle Damaged:
Orange w/rifle
Grey w/rifle
Blue w/blaster (window)
White w/blaster

Grey w/blaster
Blue w/rifle
White w/rifle

Grey w/blaster
Blue w/rifle
Gree w/rifle ;D

I forgot I only ordered a single box with the clean versions.  But you know what?  Who cares, I'll be happy with that.   :)  I have extras of the battle damaged versions from the last set if anyone's after singles of them, or I could sell the three, minus Gree. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 7, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Oh sure, I need battle damaged white with blaster.  You're useless to me.   ::)

But I do need these.  You could make it up to me by tracking these down ASAP:
AT-AT Driver Ice
Darth Vader Ice
Han Solo Ice
Snowtrooper regular
Snowtrooper Ice

Now get to work.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 7, 2006, 07:08 PM »
Finally getting around to opening up my clone bust ups that Jim sent up to me.  Need to inventory them, so I'll do it here ;D

Clean:
Grey w/blaster
Blue w/rifle
White w/rifle

Battle Damaged:
Orange w/rifle
Grey w/rifle
Blue w/blaster (window)
White w/blaster

Grey w/blaster
Blue w/rifle
White w/rifle

Grey w/blaster
Blue w/rifle
Gree w/rifle ;D

I forgot I only ordered a single box with the clean versions.  But you know what?  Who cares, I'll be happy with that.   :)  I have extras of the battle damaged versions from the last set if anyone's after singles of them, or I could sell the three, minus Gree. 

I'll take these if they are still available.

Battle Damaged:
Orange w/rifle
Grey w/rifle
Blue w/blaster (window)
White w/blaster
I remember my dream now.