Author Topic: 2006 Wal-Mart OT DVD 3-Packs  (Read 16134 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
2006 Wal-Mart OT DVD 3-Packs
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:34 AM »

$10.00 each?  Count me in, I can use extras of a lot of these for customizing fodder... look it's a VOTC 3PO in the Jedi set... and I love that Obi Wan being repacked!

:)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 03:19 PM by Jeff »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: "New Toys" with OT DVD release?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:38 AM »
Don't get too excited.  The prices aren't confirmed.  I was just predicting what we'd see.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:48 AM »
Nice call on the 3 packs, and not too bad of choices overall.  I don't know if I'll pick them up or not, since I already have those figures, but they are a nice exclusive.  I just think of collectors or kids who don't have these, and assuming they are priced at $10, its a pretty good deal for some decent figures.  When parents see these alongside VTSC figures, they probably figure "well, I get 3 or 4 figures for the price of this one".  Anyways, some of those figures aren't too bad of choices, but I still cringe when I see that Emperor and his giant hoody :).

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 10:50 AM »
Don't get too excited.  The prices aren't confirmed.  I was just predicting what we'd see.

Haven't all of the other Wal-Mart DVD three-packs been $10?  No reason for that to change now.

(Two Lukes, and no Leia?  Strange.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Hmmm.... 3 more boxes of repacked figures?  

Good news for those who like cheap figures, bad news for the completists out there.

(Two Lukes, and no Leia? Strange.)

Kinda funny that while the figures are slightly re-organized in the boxes, the figure selection is basically the same as the last time (2004). 

- 1/2 the figures in these sets (ANH Luke, Bespin Han, CT Stormie, Chewie, Emperor) are the same versions used in the WM 3-packs the last time they did this for an OT DVD release.

The other half are the same characters, but different versions:
- Vader - 25th Anniversary instead of PotJ
- Ben - 25th Anniversary instead of PotJ
- R2 - 2004 Saga instead of PotF2
- 3PO - 2004 VOTC instead of PotF2

The last time through (2004), Leia was in the ESB pack.  If I had to take a guess, I'd say they swapped her for Jedi Luke since they were already using that mold for the upcoming "Carkoon Battle Pack that they showed off at Toy Fair this year... :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 11:09 AM »
You're right, but things have changed.

We're paying $7 for basic figures - I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if these packs were $12.99-$14.99.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 11:15 AM »
Well, the VSTC figures are still $10.00 at Walmart, while the basic figure shot up in price.  I think if these are Walmart exclusives we'll still see the $10.00 price.

I wish they had substituted the ANH Luke with the POTF2 Commtech Leia, that would have been a nice nod to people who never could find one.

And I like the ROTJ set the most, even though the Emperor is pretty bad.  But it's easy to switch his cape/hood with the ROTS Emperor Palpatine, which I know a lot of us have extras of because of the Skirmash in the Senate set.  Then he looks cool.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 11:35 AM »
I think I'll get two of the Jedi pack, since I don't have a loose VOTC 3PO.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Hasbro is trying to unload their surplus of Emperor's it looks like.  But actually those are some choices this time around IMO.  I am tempted to get the ESB set for another Han and stormtrooper.  Of course they will probably turn right around and offer an awesome SA Han Bespin version.  Anyway they are decent for the price...if that stays at $10.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 02:38 PM »
I only picked up the ESB set the last time around, because its my favorite of the Saga and it had Han and Chewie in it.  I'm half tempted to get that one again, but we'll see what else is out at the time.  I don't necessarily need more of those figures though.  I might grab the ROTJ one though, because I've always sort of wanted to get an extra Jedi Luke, plus there would be an extra VOTC 3PO as well.  That R2 isn't too bad either.  We'll see I guess.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 06:26 PM »
If these are $10... count me in on at least one of them. I don't own any of the original versions of these figures... not wild about Vader, Palpatine, C3PO, or R2D2; I find it funny that they're repacking 3PO in such a cheap set, considering the exact same figure with the exact same complete-lack-of-coolness-or-accessories was pushed out for $10 originally.

But it couldn't hurt to own another Vader really, and Palpatine has potential if the hood could be fixed (...or removed along with the head, since I think I might have a spare POTF2 Palpatine head in a few weeks), and I could even find something to do with R2 and 3PO. And I can't frown at another Falcon Mechanic Chewie, either, plus he's got that groovy- even if it is assembled backwards- bowcaster.

But both of those Lukes- I like the look of that lightsaber Commtech Luke has- Han, the stormtrooper, and Obi Wan are all on my "want and don't have" list. So if they hang around I might buy all three one-by-one; I'll probably snap up the ESB set first if I have a choice.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 09:05 PM »
The ROTJ pack is kinda screwing the people who paid $10 for the VOTC 3P0 when for $10 they can get that and three other figures...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 09:11 PM »
The ROTJ pack is kinda screwing the people who paid $10 for the VOTC 3P0 when for $10 they can get that and three other figures...

I would think they are throwing the 3PO in as a bonus for the people who missed it and the fact that it is the worst 3PO made to date. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 12:39 AM »
I've been called crazy many times and will probably be called that again (or worse) for saying this, but that 3PO is my second favorite one ever made, behind only the ROTS version.

Offline mr director

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 07:14 AM »
SW and ESB looks great, but I'm not sure about ROTJ.  I mean how many times are we going to see the Emperor repack?