Author Topic: 2006 Wal-Mart OT DVD 3-Packs  (Read 16127 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: "New Toys" with OT DVD release?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 09:01 AM »
I've been called crazy many times and will probably be called that again (or worse) for saying this, but that 3PO is my second favorite one ever made, behind only the ROTS version.

:)

It is an okay C-3PO.   The problem with it was that all the other VOTC's had quite a bit of articulation.  Supposedly that was one of Hasbro's big reasons for pushing the price up on those.  That and the packaging.  Plus, most collectors have wanted a 3PO with bendeable knees.  It was disapointing to pay $10 for that version.  I am not really complaining though because I like the cardback. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: "New Toys" with OT DVD release?
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 09:23 AM »
I'm kind of amazed, yet not to surprised that these are similar to the previous OT DVD 3-pack release. A waste, but I'll still pick 'em up. The great thing is, there doesn't seem to be one particular pack that seems more desirable than the other.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
Re: 2006 Wal-Mart OT DVD 3-Packs
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Agreed.  All 3 are equally ******.  I did not get the previous ones and I am not getting these.  So more for the masses.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 11:15 AM »

Not to pick nits but Chewy's Bowcaster is assembled wrong. I'm a stickler for details.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 11:36 AM »
Would it have been so difficult to pack in the VOTC Stormie? We shouldn't ever have to see any new product with the commtech or older Stormie. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 01:45 PM »
I agree, it is high time we start seeing the VOTC Stormie get put out there in some way.  Its like salt in the wound when we see other VOTCs like R2 and 3PO re-used in various spots in the line as well now.  It still baffles me that we rarely even see Stormtroopers on the pegs at all, specifically in the basic line.  Whatever sculpt it is, VOTC or commtech, it just isn't a figure that is put out very often - and that seems silly to me.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Stormtroopers are dull... I'd rather make a rainbow out of all my cool colored Clones!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 06:05 PM »
The ROTJ set is tempting for that Luke, R2, and 3PO--time to upgrade from my POTF2 versions of said figures. A definite pass on the other two, though.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Only want ESB & ROTJ.ANH set sucks.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 09:23 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I like the ESB set. Chewie's bowcaster might be fixable but even if it's not it's still nice to have, and I wanted one of the TSC repaints all along but couldn't justify paying $6 for the thing. But with two other figures I've really wanted and don't have, the whole thing is worthwhile.

I'd love to see the VOTC Stormtrooper out there again in any form, but I can totally see why they wouldn't be here; where they should be is a simple repack in the basic line, released in droves. These sets are predisposed to average-and-worse figures- remember the madness of those ROTS sets, especially the "Jedi Heroes"!- so I can hardly expect anything SA to show up here.

The ANH set really appeals to me too- I need at least one Commtech Luke, and an Obi Wan with the hood up another Obi Wan besides the POTF2, period. Vader isn't great, but he's useable.

That ROTJ set though... I've needed one of those Lukes for a while and the other stuff is essentially what I'd call "swag," which is to say moderately decent stuff I could stick somewhere or customize.

Argh, I sadly want all three sets, but I probably won't buy them all unless they hang around for a while. If I see an ESB set I'm grabbing it though.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 11:27 PM »
One can only assume that we have not seen the VOTC Stormie in situations like this because of cost reasons.

I would imagine that he is more expensive to use than the Commtech version because of the higher piece count. 

That and the collector uproar would be quite high if they sold us a three pack of figures for the same price we paid for the said figure originally.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 12:21 AM »
Ok... I guess if the money situation is ok at that time, and I doubt it will be, I will try and get the following of these.

ANH - two, mainly for the Obi Wan, which I really like for custom fodder

ESB - one or none, I really don't need these figures

ROTJ - three or four sets, all openers, all of those figures can be good custom fodder

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 12:24 AM »
Actually I thought of something else that I think they should have done.

Since they are throwing in an R2D2 in ROTJ set, how hard would it have been to add a Jawa to the ANH set and a Yoda to the ESB set?

Or would that set a precedent that Hasbro wants to avoid?

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Stormtroopers are dull... I'd rather make a rainbow out of all my cool colored Clones!

Blasphemy!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 11:31 PM »
Um, if we're getting the original movies, why is the first box still marked Episode IV, A New Hope?

Isn't the whole point of this exercise to get us to buy the original - OT on DVD?  I know the remasters are coming with it, but shouldn't it just be called Star Wars? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.