Author Topic: Rank the Star Wars movies!  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Rank the Star Wars movies!
« on: May 17, 2003, 08:38 PM »
I'm sure we've got a lot of Original Trilogy purists here, considering it's an older crowd (it seems), but I'm sure there's some Prequel enthusiasts as well (maybe).  Anyways, rank the Star Wars flicks here!  Which one was the best?  Any duds?  Voice your opinions!  Here's mine:

1 - The Empire Strikes Back (who said sequels are never better?)

2 - A New Hope/Star Wars (still holds up great after more than a quarter century)

3 - Return of the Jedi (phooey on those medling teddy bears beating up Stormtroopers!)

4 - Attack of the Clones (the Prequels just don't feel as "Star Wars" to me - too much CGI)

5 - The Phantom Menace (no comment.  >:()

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Rank the Star Wars movies!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 08:49 PM »
I'm sure we've got a lot of Original Trilogy purists here, considering it's an older crowd (it seems), but I'm sure there's some Prequel enthusiasts as well (maybe).  Anyways, rank the Star Wars flicks here!  Which one was the best?  Any duds?  Voice your opinions!  Here's mine:

1 - The Empire Strikes Back (who said sequels are never better?)

2 - A New Hope/Star Wars (still holds up great after more than a quarter century)

3 - Return of the Jedi (phooey on those medling teddy bears beating up Stormtroopers!)

4 - Attack of the Clones (the Prequels just don't feel as "Star Wars" to me - too much CGI)

5 - The Phantom Menace (no comment.  >:()

My picks exactly.

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 08:53 PM »
...OMG! Me too! Seriously! :D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 10:30 PM »
1.  ESB
2.  AOTC
3.  ANH
4.  EP1
5.  ROTJ
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 10:32 PM »
Well, forgive me if I'm the first person to stray from the norm here, but the difference in my list is ever so slight!

1)  Star Wars (ANH) - As good as ESB is, this just has to go first for me, if for no other reason than pure nostalgia.  It's the movie that started it all, and it will always hold a magical place in my heart due to the so many wonderful childhood memories I have of it.  Just the funnest all around flick of the bunch too - pure popcorn!

2)  Empire Strikes Back - This might actually be a better movie than ANH, but it's the sequel, so it just can earn top billing from me on that small technicality - but very close!  Great dark mood throughout and much deeper than any others.  Can't beat the original Yoda!

3)  Return of the Jedi - Yeah, the Ewoks really hurt it for me too, so did some of the childish humor.  Aside from that, this was a great movie and a worthy conclusion to the Trilogy.  That slave bikini wasn't too bad either...   ;)

4)  Attack of the Clones - This is a VERY distant fourth here.  I'm one of the "not so lovin' the Prequels" guys.  This had some fun action, and the pivotal dark moment when Anakin begins his turn to the Dark Side, but it just didn't do much for me other than just being a fun flick to watch.  I also fealt like I was watching a cartoon much of the time.  CG overload.  Oh yeah, Padme was pretty scrumpious too!

5)  Phantom Menace - Ugh.  When I stepped out of the theater after seeing this on opening day, it was one of the most disappointing moments of my entire life.  I despise Jar Jar, hated the childish antics everywhere, "Annie", "yippee", terrible dialogue, poor story, etc...  The one redeeming part of the film was Darth Maul.  His action figures may have been completely overdone, but his character on screen was just awesome (but underutilized), and the final 3-way lightsaber duel at the end was one of the best moments in the entire Saga.  Just wish it didn't have to be spliced with the terrible space battle and ground battle scenes though...

I pray to God that George really surprises us and comes up with a great Episode 3 to conclude the Saga.  But with how much stuff he has to pack in there, and his adamant refusal to go beyond 2 hours and 20 minutes in any of the movies, I fear that the final installment will feel rushed, and too many things will get skipped over...   :-\

Please feel free to prove me wrong though Mr. Lucas!   8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 04:03 AM »
I agree with Snively Bandar, Chris & BobaShek.

The Phantom Menace (no comment.   >:( )  

Episode III better be 3 hrs. long. He has alot to rap up in this movie.  

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 04:17 AM »
I agree with initial post -

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
AOTC

TPM doesn't exist, shut up all of you! It was just a bad dream.  >:(

Jango Fettish

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2003, 10:27 AM »
1. ANH
2. ROTJ
3. ESB (I hate Dagobah)
4. AOTC
5. TPM

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2003, 11:37 AM »
Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi
Episode 4 - A New Hope
Episode 1 - The Phantom Menance
Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2003, 01:56 PM »
1.  The Empire Strikes Back
2.  Star Wars
3.  Return of the Jedi
4.  Attack of the Clones
5.  THe Phantom Menace

Looks like many of us agree on this one.
Beth

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2003, 02:40 PM »
1. Jedi
2. New Hope
2. Empire (ANH, ESB are tied)
3. Ewok Adventure (aka Caravan of Courage)
4. Ewoks Battle for Endor
5. Clones
6. Holiday Special
7. Phantom Menace

Clones is a distance 5th, and Phantom Menace is a very distant seventh
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 02:45 PM by BigDumbWookiee »
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 03:25 PM »
1. Jedi
2. New Hope
2. Empire (ANH, ESB are tied)
3. Ewok Adventure (aka Caravan of Courage)
4. Ewoks Battle for Endor
5. Clones
6. Holiday Special
7. Phantom Menace

That's too funny Adam!  I swear I almost did the exact same thing by putting the Holiday Special in front of TPM too!  Contemplated tossing the Ewok movies into the mix as well!  Interesting to see a Jedi first guy out there...

Cory, what's your beef with Dagobah?  Don't like slimy things or something?   :D

And if there's anybody out there who likes the Prequels, please feel free to bump 'em ahead of the OT flicks in your list.  We can handle it (and will be nice about it)!   ;)

Jango Fettish

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2003, 04:29 PM »
Too drab, kind of like Geonosis, and if you've seen it, "Zion" in Matrix Reloaded.

Just very bland..dark. Not to mention I think the entire Luke/Yoda scenes were WAY too long. Could have just stuck to Hoth.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2003, 04:49 PM »
I wanted to put watching a blank screen, and watching snow/static before TPM, but those aren't Star Wars movies ;)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2003, 08:20 PM »
Episode III better be 3 hrs. long. He has alot to rap up in this movie.

Unfortunately, this probably ain't gonna happen Dale, and believe me, that really irritates me.  With all the lengthy movies being made nowadays, giving us movie goers much more bang for the (increasing) buck, and much more story and character development, it really seems like Uncle George should finally take the step into this greater world of increased running times...

But according to one of the "Ask the Jedi Council" questions last year over at the Official Site, Lucas is going to keep Episode 3 right around 2 hours like all the rest.   >:(  Here's the link to where this question was posed to and answered by Rick McCallum.

Q:  Any chance we'll see a grand, epic, three-hour-plus Episode III?

A:  Right now George is thinking it will be the traditional Star Wars length of two hours.

Yeah, OK.  Whatever...   ::)