Author Topic: Rank the Star Wars movies!  (Read 5917 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Rank the Star Wars movies!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2003, 08:36 PM »
Well that just plain sucks!  There gonna jam the whole thing in around a 2 hr flick.  ::)  Nothing like cramming it all in there to make our heads spin.  >:(

Can we really classify The Holiday Special as a Star Wars movie?  ;D

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2003, 08:37 PM »
My ranking:

1.ESB
2.AOTC
3.ANH
4.ROTJ
5.TPM

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2003, 12:51 AM »
My ranking is the same essentially as everyone else's.  

ESB
ANH (I believe this movie was called Star Wars or something to the effect)
ROTJ (only because of the Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes that saved it from being an abomination - damn Ewoks)
AOTC
TPM

I'm just wondering where you Ewok anti's are for that unleashed thread though.  What, three comments in here at least and not one of you has the gumption to protest thhe Unleashed Ewok ::) ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2003, 10:51 AM »
ESB Contains the Battle of Hoth, Cloud City, Yoda and Boba's first appearance and the asteroid chase, plus the best set in the entire Saga in the carbon freeze chamber.  Plus the ICe Cream Maker Guy

AOTC  I sat through this entire movie and smiled and I smiled even bigger when it was done.  I am not sure what it was because most people (including most of you people) don't rank it very highly.  I thought Hayden as Anakin was awesome, I loved Dooku and his whole role, the effects and mystery story were awesome and the last 45 minutes of the movie just fly by.  

ROTJ  Jabba makes this movie for me, I love the whole first act, the middle drags a little too much, but then the end makes up for it.  I am an Ewok lover though so I can put this ahead of ANH ;)  I also tear up almost every time Luke sets the pyre on fire (where is that figure BTW Hasbro)

ANH  Maybe its because I never really saw it in the theater.  Maybe its because I watched it way to many times on video.  Maybe its because I think it is the most dated of all 5 movies.  The updated SE Space Battle though is kick arse and that wacky SW bar is one to remember

TPM  One has to be last sadly and like most it is TPM.  In general I like this movie, I love the final duel, I love the Niemoidians.  The Pod Race is awesome, albiet a 20 minute Video Game commercial.  I generally like Jar Jar and the Gungans.   Tatooine drags horribly.  Jake Lloyd is terrible...how they searched through so many Anakin's and came up with this brat is beyond me.  Ewan is wasted and so is Natalie.  COuld have been better, no way could it live under its own hype.  A decent SW movie but not the best

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2003, 11:56 PM »
Hey, I liked AOTC but when even my wife says this looks like The Sound of Music, you know a grievous plot error has been made.  Haydn was perfect, brooding and whiny.  Dooku was perfect, calmly evil.  The effects were interesting, more Jedi, cool battles.  But geez, 45 minutes or so for the love to develop?  I want my Star Wars packed with action and schlock.  Love interest development gets 10 minutes.  Total.  Tops.  For 3 movies.  

RE: ANH - blasphemy is all I can say to you punk. ;)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2003, 12:16 PM »
AOTC
ROTJ
ANH
ESB
TPM

TPM shouldn't even have SW in front of it
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2004, 04:58 AM »
Thought I'd bump this oldie but goodie back up since it's been a while.  Anyone else care to chime in?  Here's my picks again:

1 - The Empire Strikes Back (who said sequels are never better?)

2 - A New Hope/Star Wars (still holds up great after more than a quarter century)

3 - Return of the Jedi (phooey on those medling teddy bears beating up Stormtroopers!)

4 - Attack of the Clones (the Prequels just don't feel as "Star Wars" to me - too much CGI)

5 - The Phantom Menace (no comment.  >:()

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2004, 07:10 AM »
ESB - the greatest of the holy trilogy and one of the best movies of all time

AOTC - I walked away in awe.  Sure the love story sucked, but the action was intense and kept me on the edge of my seat.

ROTJ - while ESB is the best movie, ROTJ had the best space battle.

ANH - What started it all.  Like Scott, may have ranked higher if I saw it in a theater back in '77.

TPM - Disappointed at first, but then after numerous viewings, it began to grow on me.  I started to see the subtle things Lucas put in and could see where he was headed with this.  Still better than most of the drek out there nowadays.

Hopefully EIII ranks high, which I think it will.  It might even take over my vaunted #1 spot
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2004, 10:22 AM »
Empire Strikes Back - For many of the reasons stated earlier in this thread...Hoth, Bespin, Dagobah, first appearance of Yoda and Boba, just the best one overall in my book.

Return of the Jedi - I know many don't care for it, and maybe it is the fact that this was my first "Star Wars experience", seeing it in the theatre when I was almost 7...but I like this movie.  I really like watching the Jabba's sequences at the beginning of the film, Speederbike chase was cool (I even like the Ewoks), and the final duel/space battle are both great.

A New Hope - I'm an OT person, so these three are the top three to me, and they are all pretty close.  I could watch any of them every day probably and not really get tired of them.  I think for me too, ANH would be higher if I had saw it in the theatre too (of course I didn't see the original ESB in theatres either, but anyways).  Some of it might be that this is the only one that has been on television a lot too, so I've seen it more.  It is a great movie though, and the one that started it all.

Attack of the Clones - To be honest, in 2002 this would have been #2...but that was maybe because of the "newness" of it.  When I first saw this in the theatre (several times), I though it was amazing...especially the end part of the film.  Every time I have seen it, however, I've cringed at those "Sound of Music" scenes too.  I do think Hayden has done a good job though.  A good movie, and I do enjoy it, but it mainly ranks here because it just simply isn't the OT...not quite the same, but still good.

Phantom Menace - Again, when I first saw this, even though it was different...I still liked it.  Mainly because it was "new" Star Wars I think.  I really can't bring myself to watch it anymore, just because I don't stay interested for the most part.  The final Obi/Qui Gon/Maul duel is awesome though, and I could watch this portion several times.  I still like it, because it is Star Wars, but it is by far my least favorite.

I'm really looking forward to Episode III.  From what I have seen and read about the film, it sounds like it will easily be the best of the prequels, and I hope it bridges well into the OT.  I think each of the prequels seems better and better, the more things start to look similar to the OT (or characters pop in).  First we had the droids, Obi, and Anakin in Episode I (and Jabba, Palpatine too I guess), then we move on to the Fett family/Clones and more OT-looking ships in Episode II, now in Episode III we will see a few more OT characters, or similar looking things (I won't mention them specifically here, because some people are more spoiler sensitive than others...but many know who I'm talking about).  I'm looking forward to seeing Ep III though, I hope it satisfies as many fans as possible, and Lucas is able to go out on a high note.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2004, 10:49 AM »
1.  ESB
2.  ROTJ
3.  ANH
4.  E3 (gotta believe it will be better than the last two)
5.  AOTC
6.  TPM

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2004, 11:00 AM »
I dont see how any of you all could not like TPM at all, acutally i hope you dont get disappointed or anything, but here is my list!

1. TPM
2. AOTC
3. ANH
4. ESB
5. ROTJ

The Phantom Menace is my favorite, cause that is when i first starting liking should i say loving this whole Saga!  If it was not for that movie i would not be in this forum. That is when i actually really discovered Star Wars. But i guess i love it so much, because the Prequel Trilogy is in my time, and the OTC is in all of yours, so i see your point now.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004, 01:36 PM »
ESB - the greatest of the holy trilogy and one of the best movies of all time

ANH - What started it all.  Like Scott, may have ranked higher if I saw it in a theater back in '77.

You want to know what it was like?  Ever watch That 70's show with the episode where they all see Star Wars?  The audience reaction (notably Red's at the end) epitomizes everyone's reaction to the movie.  It was that different and dramatically so from everything else.  Mind boggling in every sense of the word, especially because we all thought we were seeing a single movie with no sequels to follow.  But man, was Luke ever whiny. ;)

TPM was great in some respects.  I really enjoyed all the scenes with Maul and it was a totally new concept in so many respects.  Sure, we knew it was a prequel, but really had no idea about the plot to follow.  Jake Lloyd was a poor choice, I agree, but only in the sense of his stilted acting.  I thought he carried the petulance of a young Anakin very well.  You could see early signs of a bad attitude.  

AOTC was also quite good, though those love scenes still leave me bored.  I long for a DVD burner to create my own version.  The arena scene was cool; space battle was cool, but insufficient IMO.  This is star wars, it does occur in space.  Hello?

ESB - hell, that looks like Canada.

ROTJ - furballs >:(

1. ESB +/- ANH
3. ROTJ
4.AOTC
5. TPM

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2004, 01:45 PM »
I dont see how any of you all could not like TPM at all, acutally i hope you dont get disappointed or anything, but here is my list!

1. TPM
2. AOTC
3. ANH
4. ESB
5. ROTJ

Yeah, that's about right.

The Phantom Menace is my favorite, cause that is when i first starting liking should i say loving this whole Saga!  If it was not for that movie i would not be in this forum.

Hmmmm--yet another reason to hate this movie.

Anyway, here's my list:

1.  Star Wars
2.  Empire
3.  Jedi
4.  Clones
5.  Phantom Menace

I suspect III will wind up somewhere around Jedi/Clones. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2004, 04:17 AM »
1.ESB
2.ANH
3.TPM (i think there was a lot more good than bad, and if you ignored the bad you could really get into the good)
4.ROTJ
5.AOTC (i puked at the bad acting... i'm sorry!)

Offline CyberScout

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2004, 10:22 AM »
1. ANH
2. ROTJ
3. ESB
4. AOTC
5. TPM