Author Topic: fig care-hairspray  (Read 3020 times)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
fig care-hairspray
« on: August 8, 2004, 10:26 AM »
I have my upstairs wall covered in figs in protecto packs.  One thing I noticed this week while dusting the cases off is that the ones right outside the bathroom door had a huge buildup of what appeared to be dust, it actually ened up being the wife's hairspray reside(basically a white dust)

I used a wet paper towel to wipe the cases, but I noticed a few no matter how much you wiped, a few of the cases had kind of a "rough" feel to them on top, so it appears that the hairspray may actually break down(or blend into) the plastic ever so slightly.

So,  gotta remember to try to keep any figs/bubbles away from hairspray.

Just an FYI.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: fig care-hairspray
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Yikes... damn hairspray

:P

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2005, 08:40 AM »
when you say a rough feel to it, does that mean the plastic was by chance harder? I've been looking for a way to improve the durability of the Saga Battle Droids and I thought hairspray might be a way to do it. Just haven't tried as of yet.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2005, 04:05 PM »
No it actually almost looks like it reacts with the plastic and gives it a fine sandpaper type of coarse finish.  Hard to explain, becasue other cases I cleaned and the hairspray actually gave the cases a very smooth glossy look, and actually seemed to get rid of light surface scratches (go figure).

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)