Author Topic: Wax Vs. Clay  (Read 6583 times)

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Wax Vs. Clay
« on: May 24, 2006, 01:57 PM »
After viewing conceptuk's website, I was amazed at the clarity of the details in his wax work.  He claims to use 'hasbro grade' wax, so is this available to the general public somehow?

I've always used clay to sculpt my stuff, and now that I've seen his, glassman's, and ben's stuff, I'm wondering if maybe wax is the way to go.  Which brand do you guys get?  It looks great for detail work.

Is it pretty soft or what?  I am just envisioning trying to make a figure out of candle wax in my head.  Is it somewhat like that?
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Wax Vs. Clay
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 03:16 PM »
I think waxing is going to be the next step in my customizing sickness. I'm getting better at casting and figuring out portions. Soon I will need a new skill to master.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 03:39 PM »
Hi RollaJedi,

I have been down the same path that you are going and asked the same questions. What I found was this: there are two major ways to sculpt in wax or how wax is used in toy production. The first is to sculpt the model intirlly out of wax using a wax pen, carving and etching tools. The other is to sculpt the model in clay and then make a mold and then pour wax and make a wax cast. From there you then sculpt/carve the finner details. I found this site very useful in the proccess of the wax casting:

http://www.designinteract.com/features_d/asylum/index.html

I like the ability to shape the clay with my hands and work in as much detail as I can before my finger prints start to destroy the details. I defently prefer to do my final detail work now in wax.

The other thing you asked about is the aquireing of "Hasbro" grade wax. Well Rick as well as Glassman and myself, get our wax from Bantha 5. He makes his own wax which is as close you are going to get to "Hasbro" grade wax. You see, Hasbro wax is a guarded special recipe from what I have been told. The next best thing is to try other type of waxes.  I only found this brand, Azbo wax:

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Wax/Azbro.htm

I have heard mix reviews on this. I have not bought any my self, only used Bantha 5 stuff so far.

The last thing you asked about "is it soft or what?" I will tell you this, it is not the same as candle wax. it is much harder than that. The two samples that Bantha 5 has sent so far are actually two types of wax hardness. The first sample I got was hard but had a silky feel to it. I only had to apply the slightest amount of preasure to the model with my tool to make changes. And it melted real easilly over the candle. The last batch that Bantha 5 sent me was a harder type. When I casted the model using this wax it felt like plastic. Really strong stuff especially for little old butterfingers me who drops things from time to time. The wax when melted, was a lot thicker than the first which could cause problems when pouring into a mold. To counter this would be to pre heat the silicon mold so that the wax would not have a chance to cool down before your done pouring the wax.

Glassman and UK Rick have been doing this much longer than I have and I hope they will have time to chime in as well. Bantha 5 hangs out mostly at Rebelscum than in here so if you want to pm him you will have to do it there (I think :)).

I hope this helps some.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 05:16 PM »
thank you very much for the input Ben!  Its certainly helping since I'm just getting into the whole casting/sculpting process.  I've been doing regular customs for a while, but havent produced much.  I just got my silicon rubber and casting plastic today from smooth-on, so I will have fun very soon! 
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Ben said everything i would have said, but i may add, Start with clays and get sculpting down first. I can understand being eager to "dive in head first" but the usual frustrations will be multiplied.
There are alot of little tings you pick up form repeatedly doing this. Perfect sculpting with clays ( sculpy, milliput, kneaditte, apoxky sculpt, to name a few) then step up to wax.
Get use to using the tools and so forth.
You may find you dont like it?  I doubt it, but just some advice.
Ryan (Bantha5) may be able to sell you as sample of the wax so you can see if you like to work with it.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 04:33 PM »
I'm also thinking about taking the dive into wax but I think I want to play with the clay a little more.  I'm not sure I'm very pleased with the sculpy.  Its okay for making models with but it seems like its just too difficult to get decent detailing with.  I'm thinking of ordering some of the monster maker clay that Jedi_Master_Ben suggested.