Author Topic: DVD Profiling  (Read 2214 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
DVD Profiling
« on: May 24, 2006, 01:12 AM »
Just wondering how some of you DVD nuts display your collection.  I'm up to about 700 now - most of which are in storage.  :-\

Do you display alphabetically, by production company, set/box type, etc?  I find it difficult to incorporate snap cases and box sets in between the normal DVD cases.

Pics would be welcome...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: DVD Profiling
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:27 AM »
I don't have much of a collection, so it just sits on the shelves next to the TV.
You folks with hundreds of em probably have some pretty impressive pictures though.

Let's see yours IFett
Got Clones?

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 03:22 AM »
I'm around 615 578 titles or so, and I've been incredibly strict as to what I keep. I come across so much stuff in my pawn shop travels, I sell off the mediocre to make room for the better quality/rarer pieces.

+ Alphabetically
 - General Titles
  - Criterion
   - Foreign
    - Animated
     - Entertainment (Music & Sports)
      - Television
       - Animated Television
        - Movie Sets
         - Boxed Sets

This is the one that one that brings all the boys to the yard..

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 11:21 PM by Cory H. »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:50 AM »
Let's see yours IFett

Again....The majority of my collection is in storage, but here's a pic of what's on display at the moment.

Nice looking collection Cory!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I imagined your collection would be a lot bigger Cory.  ;) Very nice.

I keep a modest collection and only buy films I know I'll watch over and over again and TV shows mainly for research.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 11:44 AM »

I keep a modest collection and only buy films I know I'll watch over and over again and TV shows mainly for research.

We just surpassed 800.  My logic for buying is that most of the time my wife and I cant find the right time or a babysitter for the kids, due to us living a ways from family.  Its alot cheaper to buy a movie and watch it home on our Big Screen then all the trouble for us to get to a movie.  Generally we only go to see the big blockbusters or epic films that seem to hold up much better in the theater (SW, Gladiator,etc). I have no problem shelling out $10-$15 for a movie, even if we only watch it once. But in most cases the movies we have get watched more than once.  Plus with films being released so quick and so cheap its a no brainer for me. 

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 11:53 AM »

Nice looking collection Cory!

Thank you, sir. I dig your arch rack, BTW. Never seen anything like it before! I updated my photo above. Better lighting, slightly higher rez, and no scrollbar.

Thanks! If I were to have kept all the movies I've had over time, I wouldn't have room for them all. I prune my collection so often, it's not even funny. A lot of times I feel like I have to sell something I own to justify buying anything new, even though I make sizable profits off of the discs I purchase for re-selling.

Working at Hollywood, I rent free of course, so on top of being able to scout potential additions, I also have the freedom to sell off movies I like moderately, would watch again, but wouldn't watch alot, and just rent them whenever. The thing is, what I own, there's a good 1/4 that aren't available for rental, so I just hang on to them.

Back to the whole categorization, this is what I've got in place right now. Just empty amaray cases from work splitting up genres.

I sold 1/2 of my Disney collection the other day, as well as my copy of "This Island Earth" to get a new DVD player (Sony DVP NS75H), and my next project is probably going to be some shelves from IKEA here in Bloomington.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 01:40 PM »
So the big question is when are you going to upgrade your collection to Blu-Ray?

:D

Seriously though, is that SW display full of movies? 

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 04:30 PM »
So the big question is when are you going to upgrade your collection to Blu-Ray?

:D

Seriously though, is that SW display full of movies? 

A lot of what I have won't be upgraded, but should I get a HD-DVD player down the road, certain titles are a must, namely Sci Fi.

That indeed is Episodes 1-6 in that DVD display. Nabbed it from work. Six spots, six movies, no brainer.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 09:28 PM »
For me it's only Doctor Who that I collect on DVD so I display them in story order from 1963 right up to last week's Cybermen story.   I have the 40 or so discs that the BBC have released, along with off-air recordings of the remaining 100-ish.  The are several which no longer exist so I have the fan recons of those.  DVD+Rs and photo paper for the covers do the job very nicely.

As regards HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, well the good Doctor (from the 63-89 series) will never make that leap as the standard requires 16:9.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:30 PM by Rob L »
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)