Author Topic: New JD Review: VTSC Greedo  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: VTSC Greedo
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:07 AM »
Another week and another new review here at JediDefender.com.

This time around we're taking a look at another in the Premium "Vintage" Saga Collection of figures...  A Vintage that not everyone wanted, but now that he's out I'm sure we'll all be happy to own him...  Greedo!

Clicky Button, Ready Review

So you thought Hasbro was done putting Greedo figures on the shelf?  Wrong...  But thankfully they have made the definitive version of this character with his "Vintage" incarnation.  If they re-use that Commtech Sculpt they should be beat with piles of old Greedo figures I think.  Though, here it is in 2006 and we're seeing COmmtech Han get re-used...  again...  and no VOTC version re-issued, so is it really that far-fetched to think we'll likely see Commtech Greedo repainted again?

Still, at least we're getting a definitive Greedo NOW...  ANd what a load of figure to love.  A great felt vest, a nice new spiffy holster for an all-new film-accurate blaster pistol...  And articulation galore. 

And really one of the pluses to Greedo, and something that makes plunking another $10 down on yet another Greedo figure, is that there are so many Rodians (especially in A New Hope) roaming around Mos Eisley in the same outfit, that I don't feel like I need to retire all my old Greedo figures...  THey just all become nameless Rodian thugs for Jabba's SE scene or they fit nicely in with the drunkards in the Cantina.

No muss, no fuss, no figures put into storage.  PLus all the repaints of Greedo look different to some extent so they blend nicely together.

Enjoy this figure...  Hopefully Hasbro sees fit to re-release THIS one if they feel the urge to put Greedo on the pegs again down the road.  There really should be no other out at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: New JD Review: VTSC Greedo
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:51 AM »
Yet another great review Jesse.

I really like how the old versions of Greedo are not useless now. I think I, like you, am amoung the few that actually like the soft goods vest. It isn't too baggy or anything, and seems to fi him very well. There are folds on the back of mine and they actually look really good, and seem to fit the scale.

You saved the best for last I take it? ;)
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:17 AM »
I'm with you guys on Greedo. Say what you want about the character choice, but he came out well, one of the best of the line, and the soft goods cloak isn't all that bad. I still think a sudo-leather would have been better, but I'm not complaining about what we got.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Thanks guys...

The character choice is only odd to me if they're NOT going to continue with the vintage theme and hit other obscure characters...  If they said this was the last vintage wave ever, that's the point that I'd question Greedo as a choice, as there's far better choices if this is it...  SInce it seems this won't be it, I'm curious to see how other secondary characters turn out then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Ok... I'm getting tired of writing this, but another great review, Jesse.   However, I will argue that even knowing they are going to do other background characters, I'd say this was still a bad choice.  Between most of us not feeling like we needed a resculpt on this one (well, a lot of the resculpts this year proved us wrong on this point) and the fact there there were so many other more desired characters that need the SA treatment, I believe Greed could have waited a few rounds for this treatment.  Just like in the original vintage characters and then in 95 when they started coming out again, I believe you start with the core characters and when the background figures are mixed in, at least do the more interesting ones.   Just my thoughts on this choice.   I did buy him.