Author Topic: Gardulla's Palace - FINISHED 9/26/06  (Read 30254 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: Gardulla's Palace - Updated again! 6/10/06
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 08:44 AM »
Hey Brent, lookin good so far, Have you checked out Daigo-Bah's cantina over at that otheR Site, It looks amazing, I would check out his techinique for the wall, it would really make it look better than it already does. Not to say it doesn't look good Brent, You know what I mean.
Smarty

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 10:35 AM »
This is looking very good so far Brent.  For the side rooms, if you make them modular, I think you'll be glad you did.  Also on the flooring, you can do a rollout vinyl type thing like you were thinking - there is a type at Walmart that has texture to it, it's pure white, and you could probably paint it.

:)

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Wow excellent start Brent! If this turns out even half as good as your Jedi Council chambers we are in for a treat. :)

Make that thing as modular as possible, trust me on this one. I started making a big honkin SGC (from Stargate SG-1) dio, it is modular, but it is as close to scale as I could get it. The gate room is about 40" deep by 30" wide by 27" tall, so it barely fits through any of the doors in the house. It has become a pain to work on, because I can't store it in the place I do the actual work on it. So I rarely even work on it, becuae it is too big to fit in a car so I can't take it to my appartment, and it is such a hassle to get it from one one place to another. My strip club (which is still only about 90% done) is about the size of yours, and while it is big it really is much more manageable.

The moral here is make sure it isn't too big, so you are able to move it. You'll be glad you did.
"This is the way."

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Wow.

Too bad I'm a huge noob at Foamcor, this looks really good! I'm interested to see how it turns out.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 02:34 AM »
Thanks again - I hope you don't mind the frequent updates on the work in progress on this one.  Its too fun not to share.

Smarty - I did go look at that Cantina - WOW.  The big difference for his project and mine (besides his being 100x better) is that his is built as being permeant and mine will be temporary.  I think the update below has GREATLY improved the walls.   I'm going to post some of this over at RS and FFURG tomorrow.  I know there is a lot of the same traffic but I might get some feedback at some of the other sites too.

Chewie & Ryan - I agree with you - Modular the pieces are going to be.  I'm going to start hunting for vinyl flooring pretty soon.

D_N - Keep trying with the foamcore.  I've only been working with it for a month or two.  Just like other parts of customizing - practice, practice, practice.  All you need is a straight edge (I've got an old T-Square from my high school art days), a sharp knife, some cheap acrylic paints, imangination and some patience!  Keep it up.

Okay here is the update from tonights work.  I got another 4 good hours into it.  All the walls are double painted now with a base on "Trail Tan" and a wash of "Autumn brown"  The wash really really brings out the texture.  I'm quite pleased.

I've also come up with a column design that will allow me to hide the corners for the walls that are permanently attached (I'm pretty sure the walls in the main room will not glued together).  I used the same style styrene tubes to create columns and a foamcore base.

I realized that I'm going to need to put a roof (also temporary) over the back half of the display to get the desired effect (as seen in Photo 2 and 3.

As always, comments, criticisms, and suggestions are most welcome.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 02:42 AM by BrentS »

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
Re: Gardulla's Palace - Updated finished wall painting 6/11/06
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 02:37 PM »
Hooly Crap! That's Huge.

Where are you going to put that thing? That take up a quarter of my Star Wars Room.

Geat job so far, can't wait to see the end results.

Fritzkrieg

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 09:09 PM »
Quite cool effect on the wall.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Hooly Crap! That's Huge.

Where are you going to put that thing? That take up a quarter of my Star Wars Room.

Geat job so far, can't wait to see the end results.

Unforunately, I don't know where I'm going to put it.  It will never be permenantly displayed in my house as I don't really have a room to put it in.  I'm definitely making it modular so that I can take it apart.

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Very impressive so far!  Since I have no expertise whatsoever in making dioramas, the best I'm going to be able to do is ooh and aah, but I do like the way it's coming along.  The photos you've shown almost look they're of a real live 1:1 room -- very cool indeed.   8)

I take it that once this is done it's going to be populated with Gardulla's various cronies and things?  The Divas, and so such?  Can't wait to see what you do with those.  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 03:01 PM »
Looks great, I like the paint/wall texture.  Can't wait to see the rest painted.

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 10:55 PM »
definetley a good looking set up, the coloring is awsome, i like the darker color better than jabbas l;ight walls. great job, i can't wait to see the rest!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 03:24 PM »
Update time....

I took most of the day off to celebrate my birthday (happy birthday to me).  I spent a couple of hours updated the Diorama.  The genesis of this update is a comment from FFURG where Delaton correctly pointed out that the walls didn't seem thick enough to support the structure.  So here it is with thicker walls.  The spackle needs to dry so I can paint it up.

I added a little shelf inside the main arch (sort of like something I saw in a Jabba's Palace Diorama. 

I made the arches thicker by basically just gluing pieces of styrene to the arch.  Since I'm not going to show the other side, it doesn't matter if it sticks out.  This is where my piece is more of a photonovel set than an actual diorama  ;)  I can always go back and add the other side.

Okay, after the update, I need some help with a decision.  Which floor color looks better:

Light

or

Dark?

Both of the floors are rolled out vinyl.  They have different textures that I'm going to apply a wash too.  It may be that I need to what and do that to make the final decision.  However YOUR input would be most appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Gardulla's Palace - Updated 6/14/06 - WIP photos and a question
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 03:28 PM »
I agree, thicker walls work well for this!  As for the vinyl floor, it looks great.  Did you paint it?  I don't think it needs a wash, but I guess it wouldn't hurt!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 03:30 PM »
As for the vinyl floor, it looks great.  Did you paint it?  I don't think it needs a wash, but I guess it wouldn't hurt!

Nope I bought them this color.  I got two big pieces.  I want to add a wash to bring out the texture.  However, what I really need to decide is which color looks better :)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 05:16 PM »
BrentS, First off, Happy Birthday.
This is comming along very well. You should give the floor a wash. Definatly.
Remeber the floor gets all the grime, espesially after a hutt slimes across it.
Blacks and Browns.