Author Topic: Gardulla's Palace - FINISHED 9/26/06  (Read 30255 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: Gardulla's Palace - Updated 6/14/06 - WIP photos and a question
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 05:27 PM »
Happy B-day Buddy ;D, did you get any SW items or customizing gear? Anyway the new additions to the wall look great, I especially like the shelf in the arch.
I would go with the lighter one because that is whats closest to Jabbas floor, and it also is a sandy color, I'd then wash it with a bit of dark brown or black.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback (and birthday wishes).  So far the overall feedback has been more in favor of the darker brown floor - with Smarty being the notable exception.  I'm going to apply wash to each one (or multiple washes) and see which one looks better.  I'll post update pictures when I can.

Smarty - I did get a fair amount of customs supplies - Reaper paints, fine tip brushes, a magnifying light contraption, and a SW reference book (New Essential Guide to Vehicles).  I also treated myself (thanks to the approval of the boss at home) to a bunch of stuff from Mikey D's sale in the classifieds. I  got a bunch of great vehicles I never got before.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Sweet, glad you had a good haul ;D

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 01:27 AM »
Update time....

First the floor.  I took the dark vinyl and tried to add a wash.  However, as I probably should have expected, the vinyl floor just repelled the water based wash.  So Plan B was a more of a drybrush.  Here is the end results.  I pretty much used gray, black and a bit of "vermin brown".  I just did this on a small piece of the vinyl that I cut up.  Any advice for improvements??

Next up, I almost completely finished reworking the "thicker" walls.  All but the main arch is finished here.  I put a few pieces together to show off the effect.  My WIP Gardulla is checking out her new digs.

Lastly, while the brown washes on the floor was drying,  I started working on Gardulla's throne.  Its foamcore based, with a nice red fabric stuffed with a little polyester fiberfill to give her some cushion.  Nothing but the best for my Sexy mama...  The walls around the throne are made from Sytrene pieces (including a cut-up "for sale" sign - thanks again for the tip Jesse!)  Obviously, the sides need to be trimmed to fit.

This will be my last update for a while, the family is taking a vacation next week to the Carribean.  Hopefully there aren't any hurricanes coming through.  Should be a great R&R but ZERO customs time.  So, it looks like I'm going to be really busy when I get back.  I still haven't put together an entry for the challenge yet and there are soo many WIPs here to be finished!!!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Gardulla's Palace - WIP Updated 6/16/06
« Reply #34 on: July 3, 2006, 02:01 AM »
Update time. 

I was experimenting with the lighting when I was taking these pictures.  So let me know what you think.  Some of them have had their "levels" corrected in photoshop too.

Anyway, things that have been finished since the last update:

Floor is now full painted
Gardulla's throne has four sides (still needs painting)
Walls have all be made thicker, spackled, painted and washed.
Changed the front layout to show some gradual steps into the palace

I'm almost finished with the major construction/painting phase.  I'll have a lot of details to add to the make some finishing touches and I'm planning on experimenting with some lighting (gasp!)

Here are some photos:

As always comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome.

« Last Edit: July 3, 2006, 02:26 AM by BrentS »

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Gardulla's Palace - WIP Updated 7/2/06
« Reply #35 on: July 3, 2006, 02:25 AM »
Nice diorama
I would have suspected Gardulla to have a loft apartment ;D
I like the spawn/ephant mon dude.. Good use of 2 big chucks of plastic. I have always wanted to do a custom dex jettster as a warrior/brawler/thug before he was a dinner cook. A little off topic, but it was the big lug that reminded me of wanting to do that. Anyway looks great..

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 3, 2006, 02:29 AM »
I have always wanted to do a custom dex jettster as a warrior/brawler/thug before he was a dinner cook. A little off topic, but it was the big lug that reminded me of wanting to do that. Anyway looks great..

Still staying off topic but I did something like that a few months back for one of the monthly projects.

« Last Edit: July 3, 2006, 02:37 AM by BrentS »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 3, 2006, 02:30 AM »
Brent this is coming together so nicely!  Whoo Hoo!  You must be proud of this, I love it!!

If you don't mind, when it's done I'd like to spotlight it at www.yakface.com

:)

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #38 on: July 3, 2006, 02:48 AM »
Since Jabba had female slaves because he thought they were pretty to look at, wouldn't Gardulla have male slaves? Just a thought.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #39 on: July 3, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Actually, Hutts are hermaphroditic. :-X They just havea  male or femal personality.

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #40 on: July 3, 2006, 02:05 PM »
Oh, I didn't know that. Everyone can laugh at me now. Sorry!

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #41 on: July 3, 2006, 03:44 PM »
Most people don't know that either. ;)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 3, 2006, 05:23 PM »
Man I haven't checked this thread out in quite a while it seems. :-[
I had no idea that you made so much progress. All i can really say is DAMN that is sweet.

This is coming together nicely. A nice cool palace for one hot mama. :P Gardulla is coming along nicely too.

Offline Outrider

• Jedi Initiate
  • IMPS RULE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 4, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Gonna be great.  I have to mention one more time how much I like that green beast master custom features in this series of pics.  This is gonna be really awesome!
NOTE TO HASBRO,
SA JANGO would sell quite well!

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
  • What is this... "llama" you speak of?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 5, 2006, 03:56 PM »
This looks awesome! I love seeing large scale dioramas like this. I've been planning a full size cantina for a while now (just picked up some foamcore and spackle for the texture) and your palace is inspiring me.
Is there an exterior to it as well?
Mike