It is all wood except for the floor panels (sheet metal). The wall panels were cut from scrap pieces of 2x4's - I first cut out the width and height, the sliced off as many panels as I needed, thinner for the black panels.
The floor is a single piece of 1/4" sheetboard with sheetmetal floor panels glued (liquid nails) to it.
The taper piece at the base of the floor was a made from some molding I found down at the hardware store. The taller 'beams' were cut out on my band saw.
The walls are a sandwitch of 1/4" sheetboard, this allows a 1/8" door to smoothly slide between. The details were cut into the door with my table saw on a VERY shallow setting. The doors operate manually.
Let me know if you want a really detailed process for creating these. I already have another almost completed (Hoth Invasion) using the exact same form factor and plan on making the rest of my dioramas using multiples of 8" (ie 8x8x8, 8x16x8, etc...). I have considered building these 'frames' to sell, but when I posed in another forum there was not too much interest.
Yea, the black stands do visually impact the scene. If you view my older rotating display, they are not as noticeable on a black floor. Some of the pics were taken before I got some light grey minimagstands which are less visible than the black ones (Leia has to free stand due to her tiny feet). I really don't have the patience to carefully position each figure without knocking them all over and having to start over, and these stands are much smaller and allow the figures to be placed much closer together than with the larger real stands.
Thanks for all the comments.