Author Topic: Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination  (Read 8776 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination
« on: June 4, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I just got back from the COSI museum in Columbus, OH where they are hosting the traveling Star Wars exhibit until September 4th.  There was a lot of cool costumes and exhibits along with the "Jump to Lightspeed" experience (where I got to sit in Han Solo's seat  8) ).  I have pictures posted below of most of the items and a few of the Rebel Legion/501st.  I highly recommend it to anyone in the area. 

COSI at Webshots
Beth

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Great pictures Beth -- thanks for sharing!  I noticed a few close up shots of Leia's dress from ANH -- doing research perhaps?  BTW -- those boots made her feet look enormous.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2006, 09:58 PM »
You guessed it Tracy!!  I made that costume for my daughter years ago and figure it's time I made it for myself. The belt will be the toughest part.  I have one made for my ceremonial costume (and they are similiar) but I'd like it to be as close as possible to the real deal.  I also might make Padme's peasant costume.  Both should travel well by plane for the C4 convention in L.A.  The next hardest part is letting my hair grow long enough for extensions again!!
Beth

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2006, 01:29 AM »
Beth, thanks for the images...  My gf and I are planning a trip to Columbus this summer for the exhibit actually.  My picture goal is detailed shots of every angle I can muster of every model they have available to snap shots of. :)

I gotta ask, how did you get such clear photos as you did?  At C3 my shots didn't turn out really great...  Just so-so really.  Some were really blurred or glare, others were simply perfect...  Any tips on photos?

The exhibit looked like fun when I heard about it from a friend that saw it in Boston, so I'm excited to check it out now that it's close.  I figure I'll see it in Columbus as it's the same distance time-wise to go to Columbus now than it is to go to Philly much later on.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2006, 06:25 PM »
I just used my trusty ole digital camera with the flash off.  I used the flash just once on the models of the Star Destroyer and Tie Fighter because I liked the black effect behind them.  I was going to bring my 35mm but we switched vehicles at the last minute and that was left in the truck.  The frustrating part is taking pictures when people are on the other side of the display.  It was pretty crowded and it was hard to have an "open" shot at much of anything.  I have a feeling it will slow down a lot in the summer and you should have a better time at 'clear' photo's.  Make sure to bump this up once you go and have your photo's developed.
Beth

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Yeah I'll be going later on when we're on break between baseball and football with the kids...  Gonna go to VA too, but I'm looking forward toa  weekend in Columbus more I think. :)

I know the feeling about crowded and trying to get shots of stuff like this...  At C3 I was at the LFL exhibit trying to get detailed shots of everything, and every time I'd try taking a picture some ass wipe would snap one right before me even though I'd been standing there for a minute at least trying to get the right angle and lighting on everything...  It got to the point I finally started getting somewhat vocal in asking people to wait a second while I snapped mine.  Everyone's flashes going off like that screwed up probably 30% of the photos I took in that exhibit and I busted my hump to get to that exhibit early the last day...  People acted like they were going to be ushered out of that room right away though and instead of taking turns they turned it into a free-for-all.  Not to mention the people pushing past you...  So much for keeping cameras steady then.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing your pictures Beth.  The exhibit looks cool.  It will be in Los Angeles next year, so I can't wait. 

Where the people in costumes visitors or actually employees?

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Where the people in costumes visitors or actually employees?

Part of the Rebel Legion or Ohio 501st.  They worked the weekend and some will be working this Saturday for the the $2,000.00/ticket event with Anthony Daniels.
Beth

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2006, 08:25 PM »
http://community.webshots.com/photo/551062051/2010747760041849255wwDmhJ

Holy schnikes.  I don't remember the Jawas' blaster being so huge.  :o 8)  I guess I need to watch SW again tonight.

Great pics Beth.  8)

I noticed a few close up shots of Leia's dress from ANH -- doing research perhaps? 

You guessed it Tracy!! I made that costume for my daughter years ago and figure it's time I made it for myself.

Cool.  I can't wait to see your buns.  :-X  ;)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2006, 06:57 AM »

Cool.  I can't wait to see your buns.  :-X  ;)

Sorry to disappoint you Jesse...it will be the ESB version :-*
Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2006, 02:02 PM »
 :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Did they have the pins available for sale after the Jump to Lightspeed show? They had them in Boston, and you could only purchase one after viewing the show.

Offline Happy Noodle Boy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
    • View Profile
STAR WARS EXHIBIT at the California Science Center (with PICTURES!!!)
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 07:50 PM »
Greetings all,

This weekend, February 11th, the STAR WARS EXHIBIT opened at the California Science Center. It runs Feb. 11--April 29, 2007.

The exhibit is not huge in itself, but it does have a variety of great props, costumes, models, full size characters/droids/creatures, and at the very end, a large toy/clothing/etc. area.

The exhibit is free of charge, but large crowds are expected, so get there early if you live in the L.A. area. BUT..........if you purchase some IMAX tickets and see a movie (about $8 each) you can have PRIORITY entrance--the wife and I bought some tickets and we were led into line and only waited about 10 minutes!

It takes about 40-60 minutes to see the whole thing (meaning you take your time, take pictures, and push your eyes back in their sockets)  :o.

After the exhibit you are maneuvered to the toy/etc. area. This in itself is very cool. You can find all sorts of toys, keychains, postcards, kubrics, bust-ups, etc., etc.  But the main interest if the figures and battlepacks:

Pretty  much every battlepack that's out now (Mace, Death Star Conference, Republic Commando pack....) although they are kind of pricey---about $35-50 for some. The figure pegs are full of the current wave: Vader's droid, Clone Seargent, Kashyyyk battle droids, super battle droids, Elite Corps Clones, Fleet Security..........but at the price ($10 a pop  :-\) I could see why there was plenty of everything.

They won't run out of figures as I saw several "Wave 6" boxes on some shelves.

BTW, you don't have to go through the exhibit to get to the toys...you can just go though the exit area of the section.

All in all, the exhibit is a great thing to see.

For those of you not in the California/Los Angeles area..........ENJOY THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!! Plus, you'll see The Noodle and Mrs. Noodle  ;D

***I have several more pictures. If you're interested, just PM and I'll send them your way!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 01:04 AM »
Isn't photography at this show...  "fun"?  ::)

I caught it in Columbus...  Still don't have all my photos uploaded somewhere online.  I SHOULD probably do that actually.

TONS of stuff to photo especially for a model fan like me, but my god those cases were a pain to work around. :(